The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

I think we have established that Mregor is correct on this one, thanks to Ref in PA for the case book citations. I know this served as a good review for me!
I'm posting this because I want to emphasize that comment at the end of 5.10.1A.
Remember that if you blow your whistle and are not looking at the clock, when you do look at it, it should not still be running. If it is, you should have it reset as the 1 second "lag" interval for the timer to react to your whistle and the time it took you to turn your head to look at the clock occur simultaneously.
This is different from 5.10.1 sit. D where the official is looking at the clock and blows his whistle. Here the timer still gets the one second to react, if he stops it quicker great, but if he is slower then put it back to what you saw as you blew your whistle.

My 2 cents is that I go out of my way to try not to embarrass the timer. When a coach comes to me about the clock, I always politely ask the person at the table if he feels that he might have stopped the clock a bit late and if we could put a couple of seconds back. This almost always works and keeps up good relations. Only when I am sure he made a mistake and it will clearly effect the outcome of the game would I insist on putting time back even if the timer objected. (Especially, if it is a home town job.) Here the kids must get a fair deal even if I have so step on some toes.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor

Another Coach thinking they know it all. You might want to read the rule book. I don't have my rule book with me, but I'm 99.9% confident that I am not wrong.

Mregor
Ease up (or use a smiley).

Hawks Coach is one of the good guys -- and he would have been right last year.

The NFHS changed, w/o comment, one of the cases related to this situation.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor

Another Coach thinking they know it all. You might want to read the rule book. I don't have my rule book with me, but I'm 99.9% confident that I am not wrong.

Mregor
Ease up (or use a smiley).

Hawks Coach is one of the good guys -- and he would have been right last year.

The NFHS changed, w/o comment, one of the cases related to this situation.
Since we are coming to the defense of others... In Mregor's defense, I think coach brought some of that snide remark on himself (or is it hisself) by his use of the all caps WRONG!, which was similar to yelling it, so don't be to hard on Mregor either, he seems to be fairly new around... JMHO..
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

You are correct dev - I shot first!