The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Question

For the Officials that have been around the longest. Why are the "Home" Basketball Team uniforms white (or light) in color, when the "Home" Football Team uniforms are dark in color?
Not withstanding the obvious, I know Basketball and Football are different sports, but I was wondering if there is any logical reason for this?
Take it easy on me guys, I'm a New Member . . .
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Welcome to the board!

As to the uniform colors, I can only guess that the basketball practice of wearing light colored jerseys at home and dark colors on the road is derived from baseball, which started the practice back in the 1880's. The rationale for baseball was that when you're on the road, you have less access to good laundry factilities (or at least you did back in the 1880's). Therefore, you wore dark uniforms in case the uniforms couldn't be laundered between games; since last night's dirt was less visible on a grey uniform than it would be on a white uniform.

Football, on the other hand, never had that problem b/c they never played on back-to-back days. You almost always had plenty of time to get the uniforms cleaned up. So maybe they felt that they just didn't need to wear dark colors on the road.

Chuck
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Baseball Uniforms

It might also be that dark baseball uniforms were more uncomfortable in the summer that light colored ones. Didn't they wear wool uniforms back then, as well?
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 04:29pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

IMO, Football uniforms are dark, to add to the home Field advantage.
I always thought "Pigskin Brown" would be a good jersey color, but black is pretty good, especially during night games.