The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

TO Rule Reference

The reference for the TO is in the CB, 5.8.3 E. It states "The TO once granted cannot be revoked..."

Mregor
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Clarification

HawksCoach. Your situation is different. The rule that states a TO once granted cannot be revoked refers to a situation when a TO should not have been granted (i.e. not in palyer and team control or dead ball). In that case the coach is not entitlted to a TO but if the ref grants it in error, the coach doesn't then get a choice as some have stated. In your instance, the coach never requested it; it was the fans. In that case it would be an inadvertant whistle.

Mregor
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 01:56pm
Esteemed Participant

Re: TO Rule Reference

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
The reference for the TO is in the CB, 5.8.3 E. It states "The TO once granted cannot be revoked..."

Mregor
That's an NF rule reference...the original play was in a NCAA Div. III game...NCAA rules state this would be an inadvertant whistle and the time-out does not need to be taken...give the ball back to the team that had it with no reset of the shot clock...Chuck and his partners handled it correctly...
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: TO Rule Reference

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:

Mregor
That's an NF rule reference...the original play was in a NCAA Div. III game...NCAA rules state this would be an inadvertant whistle and the time-out does not need to be taken...give the ball back to the team that had it with no reset of the shot clock...Chuck and his partners handled it correctly...
OK, I know this is the ncaa rule but I can't find it. Help?
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Clarification

Quote:
HawksCoach. Your situation is different. In your instance, the coach never requested it; it was the fans. In that case it would be an inadvertant whistle.

Mregor
To make my point, I made my example more extreme. In my case, the TO was not requested by the coach and therefore should never have been granted. In the original situation, the official on the spot determined that he had misunderstood the coach, i.e., the coach had not been attempting to request a TO. Therefore, it became an inadvertent whistle. I think you can legitmately make this determination.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: TO Rule Reference

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:

Mregor
I was not referring to the original situation, I was responding to Trowards post below:
Quote:
Originally posted by Troward
stripes14 Can you please provide a rules reference for this interpretation as this would change everything.

I belive that in high school if you grant a timeout that is unwanted that you have no choicr but to give the timeout.Stripes

Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 08:54pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I've had this one before...

I think if the coach has a delay after saying the words "time out", then he has used bad grammar and should be granted a timeout. If there was no delay, and his sentence was spoken smoothly, like a normal sentence, then you had a quick whistle.

This nonsense about breaking your sentence up and not "really" wanting a timeout is poor coaching... he is thinking out loud and he simply cannot do that is this situation. When he says timeout, a timeout is granted if warranted.

Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
New night, new crap.

Great D3 game. #19 in the region vs #20 in the region. Game is close the whole way. Visitors trail by as much as 11, then take the lead with about 5 minutes left. Home team comes back and takes a 5 point lead with just under a minute.

Visitors (trailing by 5) advance the ball into the frontcourt. I am table-side C and am standing directly in front of visitor's head coach. Point guard dribbles to the FT line and is double teamed. He's having trouble getting rid of the ball. Clock is at 00:38.5.

Spoken directly into my ear, I hear the head coach shout "Time out"

Tweet!!

And the coach finishes the sentence ". . .if we score!"

But I've already blown the whistle. Coach goes nuts. "I didn't call timeout!!" I have now created a horrible situation. What should have done. What we did was meet, then the R confirmed with the coach that he did not actually want the TO. We ruled it an inadvertant whistle.

Comments? Aside from the fact that I should've had a slower whistle.

Chuck