The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 07:38am
Go Blue

Oakland v Oral Roberts Head Gear

Anyone catch the head gear on the Oral Roberts Player? It looked like boxing head gear with the logo blacked out by a sharpie. They said he had 3 concussions over 3 weeks. Legal in HS?
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 07:47am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Briefly discussed a similar wrestling headgear issue in this thread:

Two Firsts For Me

Approved by the state as an exception or let it go? What say you ref?
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 07:57am
Go Blue

Here is a picture.

Tulsa World: Related Photos
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 07:59am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Probably actually makes the game safer now as any head to head contact is softer than it normally would have been and less chance for injury.

Wonder if with concussions now, this is going to be the rage - like sleeves for elbows?

FASHION POLICE! Someone call the Fed. We need new rules!

Hey, it could happen!
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Yes, it's legal (use 2-3 if you have to) in FED games.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

The medical staff shouldn't be allowing him to play when he's had 3 concussions in three weeks. He shouldn't even get 2 concussions in 3 weeks because he should be sitting out. A lot of lip service is paid to "caring about the safety and futures of our young athletes" but that's all it is: big talk, no action.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:34am
Go Blue

Here is the link to the story. He recceived his third concussion in Dec and has missed 2 months and 17 games. Doctors advised him to give up basketball. He was in his senior year and now is done.

ORU's Kyron Stokes fights through concussions | Tulsa World
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
The medical staff shouldn't be allowing him to play when he's had 3 concussions in three weeks.
Now THAT's the kind of thing that will get you in trouble: rendering medical judgments without a license is lawyer-bait. What qualifies you to judge the severity of the concussions, and their impact on this individual? Yikes.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Now THAT's the kind of thing that will get you in trouble: rendering medical judgments without a license is lawyer-bait. What qualifies you to judge the severity of the concussions, and their impact on this individual? Yikes.
He's safe. The precedent has been set by allowing fans to make game judgments without a license, and no lawyer has ever sued a fan for those types of egregious errors.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really? I would argue that the MEDICAL staff is making itself lawyer bait for letting the kid play. Especially with all of the emphasis on concussions. Either the article was incorrect in saying he HAD 3 concussions in 3 weeks or the medical team put this player in unnecessary risk.
As an official, if they are at the table, I am letting them on the floor if they "don't appear concussed".
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 12:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes, it's legal (use 2-3 if you have to) in FED games.
Doesn't NFHS rule 3-5-3eEXCEPTION(a) already cover it?

R3-5-3(e) Head decorations and headwear, except those specified above, are prohibited.
EXCEPTION: State associations may on an individual basis permit a player to participate while wearing a head covering if it meets the following criteria:
a) For medical or cosmetic reasons- In the event a participant is required by a licensed medical physician to cover his/her head with a covering or wrap, the physician's statement is required before the state association can approve a covering or wrap which is not abrasive, hard or dangerous to any other player and which is attached in such a way it is highly unlikely that it will come off during play.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh just settle down. I never said as an official I would keep the kid out of the game (assuming I didn't notice any symptoms). I'm saying anyone able to get 3 concussions in 3 weeks is not being served appropriately by the team's medical and coaching staff. Can you argue with that? Research shows that the most damage comes from subsequent concussions before the original one heals.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
Oh just settle down. I never said as an official I would keep the kid out of the game (assuming I didn't notice any symptoms). I'm saying anyone able to get 3 concussions in 3 weeks is not being served appropriately by the team's medical and coaching staff. Can you argue with that? Research shows that the most damage comes from multiple concussions before the prior one heals.
Personally, I think your statement jumps too quickly to a conclusion ("is not being served" and "shouldn't be allowed to play").

There are "degrees" of concussions. And, it's entirely possible that the prior one healed / the player passed the post-concussion test, etc.

Just like when we get second-hand stories about an official's call, we like to get the official's side of the story, I think we should get the medical staff's side of the story here.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Personally, I think your statement jumps too quickly to a conclusion ("is not being served" and "shouldn't be allowed to play").

There are "degrees" of concussions. And, it's entirely possible that the prior one healed / the player passed the post-concussion test, etc.

Just like when we get second-hand stories about an official's call, we like to get the official's side of the story, I think we should get the medical staff's side of the story here.
Exactly right.

I don't have sufficient medical training to assert conclusively that 3 concussions of any degree over 3 weeks automatically disqualifies a player. Sure it sounds bad, but that's not my call (here or on the court).
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You're probably right Bob. Thanks for at least reading what my post said. Hopefully the medical staff is monitoring him closely and along with the headgear has given him a top of the line mouth guard (Brain Pad, Shock Dr., etc).