The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

AP or OOB

From a pick-up game:

A1 and B1 are going after a loose ball. Both players have their hands on the ball,but you have not yet decided it warrants a held ball call. A1 steps on the line. OOB to B (as A1 caused the ball to be OOB) or AP (b/c there was joint possession at the time the ball attained OOB status).

Does rule set matter?
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

If either player is OOB, it's a violation, not a held ball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 12:31am
I miss being on the floor

I had a play almost like this...

A1 and B1 are going for a rebound. Both players jump, catch the ball, and both players land out of bounds at the same time. Had to think about it for a split second, but went to the arrow.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 03:30am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
From a pick-up game:

A1 and B1 are going after a loose ball. Both players have their hands on the ball,but you have not yet decided it warrants a held ball call. A1 steps on the line. OOB to B (as A1 caused the ball to be OOB) or AP (b/c there was joint possession at the time the ball attained OOB status).

Does rule set matter?
No, the rule set doesn't matter.

The OOB "power" doesn't transfer from A1 to the ball and then to B1.

Where I get this play often is after a shot attempt and the rebound goes towards the end line. A4 and B4 both go for the ball and I'd say a dozen times per year, one of the players touches the end line or beyond while touching the ball in an attempt to gain full control - all the while their opponent is doing the same thing, but inbounds.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
No, the rule set doesn't matter.

The OOB "power" doesn't transfer from A1 to the ball and then to B1.

Where I get this play often is after a shot attempt and the rebound goes towards the end line. A4 and B4 both go for the ball and I'd say a dozen times per year, one of the players touches the end line or beyond while touching the ball in an attempt to gain full control - all the while their opponent is doing the same thing, but inbounds.
You should know that the rule set matters.

Fiba rules:
Quote:
23.2.3 If a player moves to out-of-bounds or to his backcourt during a held ball, a jump ball situation occurs.
What they mean for "during" is precisely the situation you are describing.

Ciao
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 05:22pm

Yes, eg-i, you're right.

But when answering these guys, I assume these guys don't want a FIBA ruling. LOL
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, eg-i, you're right.

But when answering these guys, I assume these guys don't want a FIBA ruling. LOL
They don't know what they're missing.

Ciao
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 06:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yes, eg-i, you're right.

How can he be right? He said "during a held ball". The situation that you described occurred before a held ball("while touching the ball in an attempt to gain full control"...in your words) . They're completely different situations, aren't they?

Pizza and lasagna...

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Mar 08, 2011 at 06:38pm.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 08:05pm
We don't rent pigs

Nothing happens during a held ball. When a held ball happens, the ball is dead.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thx all . . . am I gonna mention FIBA at the gym? . . . nah, don't think so . . . (well, maybe to the other rule geek . . .)
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 04:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
How can he be right? He said "during a held ball". The situation that you described occurred before a held ball("while touching the ball in an attempt to gain full control"...in your words) . They're completely different situations, aren't they?

Pizza and lasagna...
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Nothing happens during a held ball. When a held ball happens, the ball is dead.
JAR is correct.

But most people describe the action that precedes the judgment of the ball becoming dead as being "during a held ball".

The FIBA rule is that they want the held ball to be enforced, rather than a violation. So their interp is that once a player commits a violation by stepping out of bounds or by returning to his backcourt, all the while two opponents are still tugging at the ball (but not yet untoward), the play is automatically deemed to be a held ball.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 07:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
But FIBA people describe the action that precedes the judgment of the ball becoming dead as being "during a held ball".

The FIBA rule is that they want the held ball to be enforced, rather than a violation. So their interp is that once a player commits a violation by stepping out of bounds or by returning to his backcourt, all the while two opponents are still tugging at the ball (but not yet untoward), the play is automatically deemed to be a held ball.
Fixed it for ya.

Sooooo....if one opponent steps OOB while tugging at the ball, even though one player never gained control of the ball and the ball might even subsequently come loose without there ever being dual possession attained, the FIBA call is a held ball even though there never was a held ball.

Got it.

Great logic. Have a held ball even when there never was a held ball.

Gee, I can't figure out why that particular logic has never caught on in the other rulesets.

Stoopid FIBA rulesmaker monkeys.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sooooo....if one opponent steps OOB while tugging at the ball, even though one player never gained control of the ball and the ball might even subsequently come loose without there ever being dual possession attained, the FIBA call is a held ball even though there never was a held ball.

Got it.

Gee, I can't figure out why that particular logic has never caught on in the other rulesets.

I'm not a fan of this ruling, but it's not enforced as you believe. When judging a possible held ball there's an interval of time when both players have (almost) control of the ball: the official must wait and see if all conditions for a held ball are present (no one can get ball control without undue roughness, for instance). If in that interval of time one of the players involved steps OOB, FIBA requires that a held ball is called. That's all.

If an OOB player touches a ball in control of a player in bounds it's simply OOB, of course. Would you call a held ball as soon as a player puts both hands on the ball in control of an opponent? I guess you won't; we won't either, even if the first player steps OOB before the "initial" conditions for a held ball are present.

Ciao
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 08:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
I'm not a fan of this ruling, but it's not enforced as you believe. When judging a possible held ball there's an interval of time when both players have (almost) control of the ball: the official must wait and see if all conditions for a held ball are present (no one can get ball control without undue roughness, for instance). If in that interval of time one of the players involved steps OOB, FIBA requires that a held ball is called. That's all.

If an OOB player touches a ball in control of a player in bounds it's simply OOB, of course. Would you call a held ball as soon as a player puts both hands on the ball in control of an opponent? I guess you won't; we won't either, even if the first player steps OOB before the "initial" conditions for a held ball are present.

Ciao
Frankly, I think that's how we call it in NFHS, too. If he steps OOB before both players have secured the ball, OOB. If he does it after, even if my whistle hasn't blown yet, held ball.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 09:46am

Quote:
Fixed it for ya.

Got it.

Basketball is played inbounds. When a player goes OB, they have an advantage. However, FIBA believes (my speculation here) that "during the held ball", a player might be OB, but not on his own accord and without undue roughness. So, they've decided to go beyond an A.R. and just make it a rule.

If so, it does nothing except increase consistency.