The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Refneck
I would blow the whistle, take the ball from the shooter, and ask the coach to remove a player. If the other coach barks, I would tell him it's my fault because I gave the ball to the shooter before ensuring the correct number of players are on the floor. If he keeps going I would tell him that I can't call a technical on myself, but I can call one on him.

Ding, Ding, Ding....correct answer!

Needless to say, preventative officiating and at least one official being awake would have prevented this whole mess. In this case, even though the ball has become live, there has been no "action" to speak of. Refneck's answer is exactly the way I would proceed.

In the situation posted by Pirate, the ball was put in play with six players on the court for Team A. This is a significant advantage and the T must be called.

In the original situation, I cannot justify a T because the officials were asleep in a situation where there has been no playing action.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 03:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Quote:
Originally posted by Refneck
I would blow the whistle, take the ball from the shooter, and ask the coach to remove a player. If the other coach barks, I would tell him it's my fault because I gave the ball to the shooter before ensuring the correct number of players are on the floor. If he keeps going I would tell him that I can't call a technical on myself, but I can call one on him.

Ding, Ding, Ding....correct answer!

Needless to say, preventative officiating and at least one official being awake would have prevented this whole mess. In this case, even though the ball has become live, there has been no "action" to speak of. Refneck's answer is exactly the way I would proceed.

In the situation posted by Pirate, the ball was put in play with six players on the court for Team A. This is a significant advantage and the T must be called.

In the original situation, I cannot justify a T because the officials were asleep in a situation where there has been no playing action.
Ding,Ding,Ding.....got anything in the rule book that will back this up?
You can get get youself in deep doo-doo sometimes,when you make decisions that are contrary to the written rules.

Btw,what exactly is the difference in Refneck's case and Pirate's case?In both cases,the ball was put into play(live ball)with Team A having 6 players on the court.Why would you handle them differently?

You always have to think of BOTH teams.Aren't you guys screwing Team B by ignoring the rules?They're not the ones who put 6 players on the court.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Jon Levinson Website: http://apollo.carroll.com/p/levinson/Officiating.html

Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Question Call the timeout, if your brain works quick enough !

If the coach has recognized the problem before the officials and has called for a timeout....

A1 is on the line with the ball and Team A coach calls time....

I say award the timeout. No T. Team A has been penalized; they lost a timeout. You will likely need to plead your case to the Team B coach.

Now the real question becomes whether I would have been quick enough to recognize the request for timeout before I recognized that my team of officials have screwed up. You've gotta call whatever you see first... T or timeout.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 04:11pm
In Memoriam

Re: Call the timeout, if your brain works quick enough !

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
You've gotta call whatever you see first... T or timeout.
Or whatever you want to see first!

If you do it this way and call the TO first,then your a$$ is covered by the rulebook when you don't call a T on this play.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Exactly !

If we survive, someday we will all be seasoned veterans with a calm, wisened demeanor.... like JR
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

As Jurassic said it:
Quote:
You always have to think of BOTH teams. Aren't you guys screwing Team B by ignoring the rules? They're not the ones who put 6 players on the court.?

Couldn't agree with you more JR!
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

Case Book play 8.7 B confirms that administering merited free throws in the wrong order is not a correctable error and all shots stand.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 05:25am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Case Book play 8.7 B confirms that administering merited free throws in the wrong order is not a correctable error and all shots stand.
Good pick,Nevada!
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Same game, different situation. The game actually featured one of those odd backcourt situations discussed in another thread - where B1 deflects the ball off A1's leg in the frontcourt, and A2 was the first to touch the ball in the backcourt. Its the first time I had actually seen it...well, seen it and actually knew what it was!

Also, just an interesting observation - the game featured one of those common plays where A1 is racing upcourt on a fast break, and as A1 brings the ball up to shoot, B1 slaps down at the ball, knocking it out of bounds. The lead, who was right on the play, blew his whistle. The trail, who assumed the lead was going to call a foul put his fist in the air. When the lead indicated out of bounds, the trail quickly dropped his arm. It was one of those plays that, from behind, looks like a foul, and all the all-knowing fans whine about when its not. Not me, though! I'm an ignoramous!

- Catherine Aird
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

This is an easy call. Live ball, 6-players= "T". HS, and certainly college, i call a T. Supervisors can forgive a screwup by the officials, but not a rules screwup. When you ignore the rules, you are inviting trouble.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I dont have my rule book handy but I believe it mentions something like "actively participating". Could just say that the sixth player was not meeting this requirement, remove him/her from the court and play on.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Paulis, interesting... I'll have to think about it.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Here are the words from the rule book:

Rule 10 Fouls and Penalties
SECTION 1 TEAM TECHNICAL
A team shall not:
ART. 1 . . . .
ART. 2 . . .
ART. 3 . . .
ART. 4 . . . .
ART. 5 . . . .
ART. 6 . . . Have more than five team members participating simultaneously.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 12:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by paulis
I dont have my rule book handy but I believe it mentions something like "actively participating". Could just say that the sixth player was not meeting this requirement, remove him/her from the court and play on.
There ia a case book play that does use "actively participating".By that,they just mean that there are 6 players in-bounds on the court.Don't read anything into that language that would let a team get away with their screw-up.You have to call the T.