The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 03:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

OT - Coaches try to "save" basketball

Apparently, a group of HS basketball coaches feel the game is on a decline and are trying to "save" it. Here's the story from The Oregonian newspaper's website:

High school basketball: Coaches seek hoops revival - OregonLive.com
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 03:46pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Interesting article. Certainly much truth to the article and food for further discussion.

Thanks for posting Mark.

Maybe if/after you officially retire you can help with this angle of the game or at least be our media correspondent?
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 04:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Interesting article. Certainly much truth to the article and food for further discussion.

Thanks for posting Mark.

Maybe if/after you officially retire you can help with this angle of the game or at least be our media correspondent?
After reading the article, I thought about something that has to do with our local kids rec league. We play our HS level games on Friday nights (and Saturdays during the day). A lot of the kids who participate tried out for the HS team and didn't make the cut. That's why they then play rec league. I wonder how many of them would go to their HS games as a spectator on Friday nights if they weren't playing rec? We sometimes have as many as nine games that evening which translates to about 150 players (these teams have 8 or 9 players each).

We have our final Board meeting for this league next week and I'm going to suggest exploring moving the HS games to a different night, perhaps Thursdays. It would be a tough scheduling thing since they also practice during the week. I guess we'll see.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

One of the two referenced coaches was a spectator at my last game of the season on Saturday. I briefly crossed paths with him on the way out of the gym after the game.

It was a 6A girl's sweet 16 game between his school and a league rival (both ranked in the top 10 and had tied for 2nd place in the league and has split close games during the regular season).

The game was tight all the way to the end and the crowd was incredible. It was not the biggest crowd I've worked in front of but quite possibly the loudest. The gym wasn't 100% full, but those that were there were very engaged in the game. There were times near the end that I couldn't even hear MY OWN whistle.

More games should have that kind of fan support....it can and does happen, just not every night. A big part of the problem is that there are just so many other entertainment options on any given night....and more kids are participating in far more activities that prevent them from being a spectator at games.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
After reading the article, I thought about something that has to do with our local kids rec league. We play our HS level games on Friday nights (and Saturdays during the day). A lot of the kids who participate tried out for the HS team and didn't make the cut. That's why they then play rec league. I wonder how many of them would go to their HS games as a spectator on Friday nights if they weren't playing rec? We sometimes have as many as nine games that evening which translates to about 150 players (these teams have 8 or 9 players each).

We have our final Board meeting for this league next week and I'm going to suggest exploring moving the HS games to a different night, perhaps Thursdays. It would be a tough scheduling thing since they also practice during the week. I guess we'll see.
That is a good point. It is not good when one sport splinters its own fan base. There is good reason that football scheduling has largely remained as it has....NFL: Sunday, NCAA: Saturday, High School Friday. It allows football fans to not have to choose between the games and they can all have good attendance. The last thing any one of them wants to do is to kill the interest in the one below them as that will ultimately kill the interest in their games as well.

It sure can't help if the local rec leagues occupy the group of kids that would have been among the most likely to attend the school's games.

A lot of the schools in this area also play boys/girls at opposite sites at the same time. That may be convenient from a gym scheduling point of view but it can't be good for attendance since fans must choose one or the other. The players on the teams can't even support their counterparts. I would expect the best arrangement for fan attendance would be to play boys and girls back-to-back.