The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 20, 2000, 07:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Spot throwin for team A on the sideline. The referee bounces the ball to A1 for the throwin. B1 reaches across the boundary and touches the ball before it gets to A1. Team B has not had any boundary violation warnings previously.

Violation, technical foul or no-call?
Old Thu Apr 20, 2000, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Rule 9 Section 2 Article 11.
First violation is a team warning for delay.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2000, 01:49am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL:
NFHS Rule 9 Section 2 Article 11.
First violation is a team warning for delay.

This rule governs the "throw-in". Has the throw-in started before the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder? Remember, the ball isn't live quite yet.

Old Fri Apr 21, 2000, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

This is sticky. Was B1 hoping you wouldn't see him try to "steal" the ball?

I think you should treat this as if we had handed the ball to A1. Just because there is a "delay" in the time we bounce the ball, until A1 gets it, I think the ball is live after it leaves our hand. At the JV-V level I feel it should be T. If it was middle school or biddy ball a warning would be more prudent.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2000, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

The player did something stupid. You warn him not to do it again, this does not have to be an official warning. It probably won't happen again. If it does, then its a "T" for unsprotsman like act.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2000, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Bart: Tell the kid not to do it again, but it's not one of the warnings we report to the table. Also, just a clarification, Brian. The ball is live when it's at the "disposal" of the inbounder, not when it leaves the ref's hand. So in this situation, it wouldn't be considered live until the player caught the ball from the ref. That's why, on a free throw, we can get the ball back and re-set when a player moves on the lane after we've bounced the ball to the shooter, but before he catches it--because it's not a live ball yet.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2000, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Interpretations, 1999-2000 Season (from www.nfhs.org):

SITUATION 17: B1 reaches across the boundary line and touches a ball that is being bounced by the official to thrower-in A1. What is the proper procedure?
RULING: This is a violation of the throw-in plane. The official reports the warning to the official scorer as a team warning for Team B, and instructs the scorer to record the warning in the scorebook. The official shall also inform Team B’s head coach of the warning. Any subsequent violation of the same type shall be a team technical. The official scorekeeper shall notify the official of the second same type violation. (4-46, 9-2-11)

Old Fri Apr 21, 2000, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

The savior of all, this case book situation makes me stand corrected. Just glad I never had to interpret and call that one on my own.

I did have a good (funny)inbound situation earlier this year though. A1 had the ball for an inbound and was holding it over her head with both hands like a soccer would. A1 pump faked, B1 jumped and spiked the ball out of her hands about 6-7 rows up; surprising all the gossipy moms and sending popcorn everywhere. If you have never had to wipe popcorn grease/butter off a ball be glad, and count yourself lucky. Volleyball coaches should look at the tape for a new practice drill.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2000, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins:

SITUATION 17: B1 reaches across the boundary line and touches a ball that is being bounced by the official to thrower-in A1. What is the proper procedure?
RULING: This is a violation of the throw-in plane.

Interesting! I hope, since the NF just allowed bouncing the ball to the player this past season, that that situation makes it into the next Rules and Case Books. Thanks for the clarification, Bob!
Old Fri Apr 21, 2000, 10:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Unhappy

quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins:

RULING: This is a violation of the throw-in plane. The official reports the warning to the official scorer as a team warning for Team B, and instructs the scorer to record the warning in the scorebook. The official shall also inform Team B’s head coach of the warning. Any subsequent violation of the same type shall be a team technical. The official scorekeeper shall notify the official of the second same type violation. (4-46, 9-2-11)

Bob - you spoiled my fun. I saw this posted on the NF website when I was checking to see if they had announced next year's rule changes yet (they haven't through today). Then I was just going to give the answer and say "because the NF says so, NYAH, NYAH!"

But now I can't do that. Next time I find one like this, I'll specify that you can't answer.