The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Clock stopped with 2.5 seconds left. Team A has the arrow. Team A with a 1-point lead and inbounding on the baseline after a made basket by Team B and immediate timeout. The throw-in in tipped by B1, who was defending the throw-in and deflects to where it is obviously going to be intercepted by B2 near the division line. Before B2 catches the ball, however, the horn sounds. The officials did not see the clock start early, but they have definite knowledge that barely 1 second elapsed from the moment of B1's tip to the sound of the horn.

How do you administer this situation?

Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 02:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
Clock stopped with 2.5 seconds left. Team A has the arrow. Team A with a 1-point lead and inbounding on the baseline after a made basket by Team B and immediate timeout. The throw-in in tipped by B1, who was defending the throw-in and deflects to where it is obviously going to be intercepted by B2 near the division line. Before B2 catches the ball, however, the horn sounds. The officials did not see the clock start early, but they have definite knowledge that barely 1 second elapsed from the moment of B1's tip to the sound of the horn.

How do you administer this situation?

stan,
Did this happen to you in a Regional? Oh, my!

• Officials Manual 113. If conditions warrant a conference, both coaches should be involved in the discussion. .... An official's count is definite information in correcting a timing mistake.

• Officials Manual 223: If the scorer's horn or game horn is sounded, either official may recognize it and stop action with a whistle even to the extent of declaring that the ball did not become live or the horn may be ignored if it is sounded after the throw-in has started.

So what can we do?
    How about
  • declaring no live ball and going to the arrow.
  • declaring one second ran off and going to the arrow.

This seems to be Referee's decision.
    Dang! That's an ugly thought!
    ...By the way, you can toss it.

mick

Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 02:29pm
    Official Forum Member

My thought on this would be, not being there of course hard to say. Team A is thowing the ball in from the baseline. Ball deflected by B1 (where is he/she). B2 by the Division line which is maybe 42-47 feet away. I could see where 2.5 seconds could have elasped, depending on where the deflection by B1 was at.

What was definate knowledge that only one second had elapsed?

AK ref SE

[Edited by AK ref SE on Nov 27th, 2002 at 01:32 PM]
    Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 02:33pm
    Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]
    stan,
    Did this happen to you in a Regional? Oh, my!
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Not my game, thankfully.
    Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 02:37pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:

AK ref SE
    The official administering the throw in counted silently from time ball was tipped. Horn sounded while he was still on "One". This was an obvious mistake that everyone in the gym realized.

[Edited by stan-MI on Nov 27th, 2002 at 01:43 PM]
    Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 03:06pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by stan-MI
    Quote:

AK ref SE
    The official administering the throw in counted silently from time ball was tipped. Horn sounded while he was still on "One". This was an obvious mistake that everyone in the gym realized.

[Edited by stan-MI on Nov 27th, 2002 at 01:43 PM]
    With definite knowledge of the timing error, you can reset clock to 1.5 seconds (5-10-1). With the fact that the ball was tipped and not yet controlled when horn sounded, you have to go to the arrow unfortunately. Hopefully arrow is with B.

I say this because the horn signalling the end of a game has the same status as a whistle, the only time that the horn shares that status (a horn signalling shot clock expiration, for example, is not a stoppage - there is no violation until ref determines that there is). This means that the horn sounding an end of period at an innappropriate time is the equivalent of an inadvertent whistle. With an inadvertent whistle and no possession, you must go to arrow.
    Old Thu Nov 28, 2002, 02:50am
    Official Forum Member

Smile

How about this? Horns blow all the time when the shouldn't. We usually ignore them. Reset the clock to 1.0 second, if that's what the count was when B2 caught the ball, and give the ball to B. Why should the horn kill the play if it was operated incorrectly?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
    Old Thu Nov 28, 2002, 03:39am
    Official Forum Member

Hawks Coach,
    While your response regarding the status of the horn ending a quarter vis-a-vis a whistle is well thought out and presented in a manner that is rather convincing, I can't get past the fact that a horn is still a horn and it is not a whistle. I have always been instructed to blow the whistle when I hear the horn if I have last shot responsibility. Due to your post I am now wondering if that is correct. Does anyone out there know if this is a mechanic in the officials manual?

As for ruling on this play, I would need some more info:
    1. Who, if anyone, actually caught this tipped ball when it finally came down?
    2. Did the clock run down to zero or did the horn just sound early?
    3. Was it just as obvious to everyone in the whole gym that a player from team B would have caught this tipped ball, as it was that the horn was early?
    PS
    If you really are a coach, you are by far the most rules-knowledgeable one of which I am aware! I have enjoyed reading your posts and am sure that I would enjoy officiating your games.
    Old Thu Nov 28, 2002, 04:27am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by BktBallRef
    How about this? Horns blow all the time when the shouldn't. We usually ignore them. Reset the clock to 1.0 second, if that's what the count was when B2 caught the ball, and give the ball to B. Why should the horn kill the play if it was operated incorrectly?
    True, horns do blow all the time...and we do indeed usually ignore them.However a horn blowing inadvertently and a horn blowing to signify the end of a game are quite different IMHO.
    The officials would have to get together and determine what to do from the point in time when the horn "ended the game".
    If the game was determined, by the officials, of being "ended" prematurely and at a time when the ball was loose...go to the arrow and put the "definite" time back on the clock. (The "definite" time was from the Referee's stated knowledge of such.)

Dude
    Old Thu Nov 28, 2002, 09:21am
    Official Forum Member

I went back and forth on this one for a while with regard to horn and whistle. You could decide to interpret the rules in such a way that this was an inadvertent horn and play continued 'til the whistle. And I kind of like that outcome, because it puts the ball where it should be, in B's hands.

Then I looked again at the rules. This was not just any horn. The rule clearly states in two places that the horn ends the period (which makes it different than just an advisory signal, which it is in all other cases). We have a horn and a clock with all zeroes - play stops now.

2-12-8 (Timers duties)
    "Indicate by signal the expiration of playing time in each quarter or extra period. This signal terminates player activity."

5-6 (beginning/end of period)
    "Each quarter or extra period begins when the ball first becomes live. It ends when the signal sounds indicating time has expired"

No whistle required folks.

There are exceptions provided in the 5-6, but they do not include any allowance for action after an inadvertent horn for end of period. I know that giving the ball to B seems fairer and could probably be done without undue protest from either bench (coach for A will be yelling about your decision to put time on the clock and probably won't even think about AP arrow!). However, it seems that AP is the technically correct decision because there is no player or team control at the time of the horn.
    Old Thu Nov 28, 2002, 09:43am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Nevadaref
    If you really are a coach, you are by far the most rules-knowledgeable one of which I am aware! I have enjoyed reading your posts and am sure that I would enjoy officiating your games.
    My rules knowledge is strictly courtesty of this board. I am really a coach, no reffing other than scrimmages (and then we play by MY rules - my players definitely like your rules better, because I have many more violations in my rulebook than were ever in your book).

I joined a few years back with a simple backcourt question (cause I KNEW everything else), read a few posts, realized there was more to them there rules than I thought, and I never left. These longtime members won't let you slide on "I think" or "logically, you should" - they make you look at real rules. It has been an education for sure. Gives me something to share with my players.

And I would definitely prefer to have a game reffed by a board member, because at least I know they are working on their game and are probably pretty well versed rules, interpretations, and general game management.
    Old Thu Nov 28, 2002, 10:35am
    Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
    Originally posted by RookieDude
    True, horns do blow all the time...and we do indeed usually ignore them.However a horn blowing inadvertently and a horn blowing to signify the end of a game are quite different IMHO.
    You don't think this horn sounded inadvertently?

Old Thu Nov 28, 2002, 10:53am
    Official Forum Member

I think there is a difference between a horn that sounds with 0:00 on the clock and any other horn. Anything may be determined to be erroneous and therefore inadvertent after the fact. But this horn was sounded with the intent of ending the game, and upon further review, determined to have ended the game early.
    Old Thu Nov 28, 2002, 08:16pm
    Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
    Originally posted by Hawks Coach
    I think there is a difference between a horn that sounds with 0:00 on the clock and any other horn. Anything may be determined to be erroneous and therefore inadvertent after the fact. But this horn was sounded with the intent of ending the game, and upon further review, determined to have ended the game early.
    That wasn't his argument. He stated that there's a difference because this horn didn't blow inadevertently.

And, the horn didn't end the game, did it? So, why does play automatically have to stop when an inadvertent horn sounds? Is there a rule?

Old Thu Nov 28, 2002, 09:37pm
    Official Forum Member

A whistle signifies that the ball has become dead, and player activity ceases. In the case of an inadvertent whistle, the whistle actually indicates the point at which play stops, since the ball did not become dead except by whistle.

A horn with 0:00 on the clock, inadvertent or not, causes player activity to cease. The ball becomes dead at that moment.