The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 10:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMBReferee View Post
No it isn't. It's simple: don't create contact by moving into the dribbler. She could have easy quit on the charge and still have been able to maintain defensive pressure inside without making contact. Frontcourt basketball players do it all the time.
Completely irrelevant to whether her actions were legal or not. We don't officiate based on what the player could have done differently. That sounds like a coach's perspective to me.

Quote:
I didn't. She moved towards the opponent. The distance between the two became shorter because she was moving towards the opponent. Thus, she is liable for contact made.
The distance became shorter because the dribbler was moving towards here. Again, a completely irrelevant statement; otherwise defenders would always be liable for contact. Hell, even a defender moving straight backwards and getting run over would be liable if that was at all relevant.

Quote:
She didn't move backwards even an inch. If anything, considering the volleyball line that she was stepping on when she began the cutoff, she actually moved forward from that point. Look at her feet. C'mon.
C'mon is right. The defender may have moved slightly towards the division line, but given the angles of travel, she was also moving slightly away from the dribbler.

If the dribbler hadn't been moving, then B1's movements would have had her moving farther away from the dribbler.

I have to echo scrapper's question after your statement about her not getting "set."
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Are you really an official?
+1 I was beginning to ask the same thing ?
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
My goodness, I can't believe an official could look at this video (at :54) and not see a PC foul.

I see nothing on the video at 1:24 that suggests a foul. I don't have the L's look at the play, though.
As I look at 1:24 I could possibly see a pushing foul on blue 20 in the lower right corner of screen. Hard to say for sure with that camera angle.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmsn View Post
my goodness, i can't believe an official could look at this video (at :54) and not see a pc foul.

I see nothing on the video at 1:24 that suggests a foul. I don't have the l's look at the play, though.
+1
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When you cut off a slasher, you're moving towards that player.

That maybe the most ignorant statement I've ever read on this forum.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 12:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Yeah, I don't get it. How else would you play defense.

To be quite honest, that defender made one of the best defensive plays I've seen all season and she was rewarded with a personal foul. Too bad, really.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Last second shot: I have nothing on that play. And the Lead was blowing her whistle as soon as the shot was blocked. Based on the timing of her whistle and her angle on the play I don't see how she comes up with that call. Again, with benefit of video replay that she doesn't have.
I must be watching the wrong play.

I paused the play with the Lead's arm just beginning to move up, even with her waist. At that time, the shot has been blocked and the ball has been caught by a defender. The call clearly came afterwards. If she has a foul, when the hell is she supposed to call it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
As I look at 1:24 I could possibly see a pushing foul on blue 20 in the lower right corner of screen. Hard to say for sure with that camera angle.
Why? What advantage has been gained? If you're calling something that ticky tacky in a tie game with under 10 seconds left, I sure don't want to be on the floor with you.

I tell ya, some of you guys are really reachin'.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree. I can't believe i'm hearing this kind of interpretation from someone. It is so wrong in so many ways it seems likes a rookie coach or men's league player talking instead of an official.

If he's truly an official, it is no wonder we have so much trouble getting consistency (across officials) when we have officials that are calling things like that and using terminology...terminology that actually reveals he really doesn't know the rule but is winging it based on common mythology.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm seeing the right play. The issue isn't what we see as much as how we enforce the rule.

The fact that she was moving DOES have barring on this play, because the movement is TOWARDS the ballhandler. There's no ifs, ands, or buts on this; that's the exception the LGP rule makes. And the center was moving towards the player and never stopped the movement. The center is not allowed to move laterally if it's towards the ballhandler.
Yes, there is a big "if". IF you are really an official and calling this play a block (Even after watching it on video repeatedly), then you are part of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I agree. I can't believe i'm hearing this kind of interpretation from someone. It is so wrong in so many ways it seems likes a rookie coach or men's league player talking instead of an official.

If he's truly an official, it is no wonder we have so much trouble getting consistency (across officials) when we have officials that are calling things like that and using terminology...terminology that actually reveals he really doesn't know the rule but is winging it based on common mythology.
+1. KMB has mysteriously disappeared from the thread.

I have no idea how any official who watches this play on video after the fact really thinks the play at :54 was a block. The defender gaining LGP and moving to the spot where the dribbler is going to be is not "Moving toward the dribbler". It is moving toward the place where the dribbler will be momentarily.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 01:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I must be watching the wrong play.

I paused the play with the Lead's arm just beginning to move up, even with her waist. At that time, the shot has been blocked and the ball has been caught by a defender. The call clearly came afterwards. If she has a foul, when the hell is she supposed to call it?
I'm watching a play in which the Lead is looking up at the ball and has 2 bodies between her and the shooter and yet she whistles a "block" before the player makes it back to the ground. If she is reacting to the body contact then she has superhuman reaction plus eyes in her neck. She reacted to the ball being blocked, not the contact to the the shooter.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

I've certainly held my share of minority opinions over the years, but I don't recall a four-page thread in which there's been only one person holding a given opinion on a play.

I normally don't subscribe to the "if it's you against the world..." philosophy, but when forty officials are looking at a play and you're the lone dissenter, then I would say it's probably best to re-examine why you're alone.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

As I said earlier KMB, people would be along to either confirm my line of thinking or discredit it. When you're the only one calling this a block, you might want to go back, rethink your definition of "towards a player" and LGP. It seems like in your games, it's near impossible for a defender to maintain LGP.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 02:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbduke View Post
I've certainly held my share of minority opinions over the years, but I don't recall a four-page thread in which there's been only one person holding a given opinion on a play.

I normally don't subscribe to the "if it's you against the world..." philosophy, but when forty officials are looking at a play and you're the lone dissenter, then I would say it's probably best to re-examine why you're alone.
4 pages?

Mine is only 2! I *hate* having to click on Next.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
4 pages?

Mine is only 2! I *hate* having to click on Next.

+1

Can't imagine not having 40 replies per page
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 03:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Here's something new

Check at about 2:24 and you see one of the losing players shove a winning player as they leave the court. The winning player's father (I assume) kind of gets between them and it's over. Too bad. Cat fights are cool.