View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMBReferee View Post
I'm seeing the right play. The issue isn't what we see as much as how we enforce the rule.

The fact that she was moving DOES have barring on this play, because the movement is TOWARDS the ballhandler. There's no ifs, ands, or buts on this; that's the exception the LGP rule makes. And the center was moving towards the player and never stopped the movement. The center is not allowed to move laterally if it's towards the ballhandler.
Yes, there is a big "if". IF you are really an official and calling this play a block (Even after watching it on video repeatedly), then you are part of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I agree. I can't believe i'm hearing this kind of interpretation from someone. It is so wrong in so many ways it seems likes a rookie coach or men's league player talking instead of an official.

If he's truly an official, it is no wonder we have so much trouble getting consistency (across officials) when we have officials that are calling things like that and using terminology...terminology that actually reveals he really doesn't know the rule but is winging it based on common mythology.
+1. KMB has mysteriously disappeared from the thread.

I have no idea how any official who watches this play on video after the fact really thinks the play at :54 was a block. The defender gaining LGP and moving to the spot where the dribbler is going to be is not "Moving toward the dribbler". It is moving toward the place where the dribbler will be momentarily.