The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tommyleo
Is it legal for a defender to place his hand very close to -- but not touching -- the face of an opponent? Is there a specific rule that covers this situation?

Sometimes when I am playing and in possesion of the ball, a defender will place his hand about an inch from my eyes. While there is no contact, common sense tells me the defender has gained an illegal advantage because there is no way that I'm going to move forward and risk eye injury.

Thanks in advance.

- Tommy

Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

When I was a kid, we called this face-guarding.

If you are in control of the ball, it is perfectly legal. However, obstructing the vision of someone without control of the ball is a player technical.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tommyleo
I just answered my own question

The reason why I couldn't find a rule regarding "hand in face" was because I was looking in the "Personal Fouls" section of the NCAA rulebook.

However, under "Technical Fouls," Rule 10-5, Article 3 states that a direct technical fould for unsporting player conduct will be charged for "Purposely obstructing an opponent's vision by waving or placing hand(s) near his or her eyes."
Old Sat Nov 23, 2002, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Re: I just answered my own question

Quote:
Originally posted by tommyleo
The reason why I couldn't find a rule regarding "hand in face" was because I was looking in the "Personal Fouls" section of the NCAA rulebook.

However, under "Technical Fouls," Rule 10-5, Article 3 states that a direct technical fould for unsporting player conduct will be charged for "Purposely obstructing an opponent's vision by waving or placing hand(s) near his or her eyes."
Note that the HS rule is slightly different -- something like (I don't have the book with me) "obstructing the vision of a player about to receive a pass"
Old Sat Nov 23, 2002, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: I just answered my own question

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by tommyleo

Note that the HS rule is slightly different -- something like (I don't have the book with me) "obstructing the vision of a player about to receive a pass"
Here's the rule quote:

Rule 10 Fouls and Penalties
SECTION 3 PLAYER TECHNICAL
A player shall not:
ART. 8 . . . Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as:
d. Obstructing the vision of an opponent not in control of the ball by waving hands near his/her eyes.
NOTE: Purposely diverting an opponentÂ’s attention by waving is different than holding or waving the hands near the opponentÂ’s eyes for the express purpose of obstructing the vision so that he/she cannot catch the ball.
Old Sat Nov 23, 2002, 10:33am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
When I was a kid, we called this face-guarding.

If you are in control of the ball, it is perfectly legal. However, obstructing the vision of someone without control of the ball is a player technical.
Barry,
"If you are in control of the ball" and waving your hand in your opponent's face ....
mick
Old Sun Nov 24, 2002, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

call a T if to blind

An opponent can always use his hands and arms
to DISTRTACT, but not to BLIND (obscure vision).
To put hands directly over the eyes of an opponent
with or without the ball is unsporting.

Sometimes defenders will "faceguard" by putting
hands in the shooter's eyes, who now cannot see.
I suggest that you warn once and then penalize
the same type of act, after the warning with a T.
Old Sun Nov 24, 2002, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

Read 10.3.8A in the case book for the NFHS interp of this.
Old Mon Nov 25, 2002, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Read 10.3.8A in the case book for the NFHS interp of this.
Here is a copy of the text.

USE OF HANDS IN GUARDING
10.3.8 SITUATION A: Does holding or moving a hand or hands in front of the face of a player who has the ball, by an opponent who is in a legal guarding position, constitute unsporting tactics? Ruling: No. The described action is legal. It is assumed that the holding or waving of the hand, in this situation, is for the purpose of distracting the attention of the player in control of the ball. It is unsporting for a guard to take a position behind a post player, or to take a position facing an opponent, or to take a position with his/her back to the ball and facing the opponent and then in either case, wave or hold the hands in front of the opponent' s eyes so that the opponent cannot see to receive a pass. Diverting a player' s attention by waving the hand is not a foul, but holding or waving hands near the eye for the ostensible purpose of obstructing an opponent' s vision is unsporting. (10-3-8c; 10-6-1)