The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ridgeben
Arrow Ron Pilo / Website

Hey guys, I am a 2nd year ref down in the Baton Rouge/New Orleans area and would like you guys to take a look at my association website. I just finished putting it together and up and would like you guys to take a look at it and give me suggestions for additional information, or things to be added. Maybe compare it to your site and let me know what I may be missing. THe site is http://www.braboa.org . Feel free to critique it, remember I am looking to improve our site as well as our association.
Thanks
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Looks excellent to me. Here's ours, if anyone is interested: http://www.wioa.org
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Do you guys have any problems having the members personal information available to the public? Our guys were pretty firm about that info being password protected..
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

The topic has not yet come up as it's a pretty new website. I do not want my information listed. I'm not on the site because I paid my dues late!

I would recommend passwording that part of the site. I'm guessing most of our guys don't even know their information is out there.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Our member information is password protected. Having membership info on the web site is very useful. If you happen to get assigned to work with someone who paid late, joined late or was reinstated after the roster book was published you can get their phone number from the updated membership area (which is necessary so you "can call your co-official" - that is for our assignment sec. if he reads this board ).

We also have a disussion board on our site. You have to use your complete name for your login and the info supplied when you register for the board is checked against the membership roster, if it does not match your login is deleted. That enables us to ask members of the BOD questions, and "air our dirty laundry" without fear of a coach or fan getting involved.

[Edited by LarryS on Nov 21st, 2002 at 03:16 PM]
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

We have password protected ours and it seems to make them happy. I have the site directly linked to this board for our users to ask and get answers on questions. What is the link to your site so I can take a look at it?
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Forgot our address...

http://www.fwboa.com

Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I don't like frames, java, or flash because not all browsers deal with them well (or at all) or may have them disabled. For example, the java applets you use for your menu don't work in my linux/netscape but work fine in windows/IE. And of course, IE is not available on linux. It's one of the first issues I had to deal with...making pages compatible with different browers (mostly netscape and IE) and different versions of each browser (the last 2-3 versions).

In writing my association's site, I used server-side includes to have the same menu, header, and footer to be visible in all pages. To the browser, it comes out as a simple html page. There is different content available depending on who is logged in (public, coaches/ADs, members, commissioner, officers, evaluation chairman, administrators)

Have a look at it: Portland Basketball Officials Website

The public can only see about 1/3 of the site. Once a member is logged in, the menu adds several items. Check out the schools page with links to three mapservers. The games, roster and school information content is database driven. Each of them are cross linked to the other. From your games, you can get to your partner's data (email, phone, etc.) or you can get to the school's data (address, map, etc.) You can find out who is working the game before/after you. You can submit evaluations online (which get immediately emailed to the evaluation committee and the official).

Updates to the master database are just dropped into place and are immediatly reflected on the web. With 342 members and 210 schools, that is really needed.

Menu items added beyond the publicly visible items:

Member/Coach/AD Menu
* Member Photo Album
* Member Ethics Guidelines

Member-only Menu
* Member Roster
* My Games
* Prob/Assoc Evaluation
* Regular Evaluation
* Ejection Form
* PIL Sportsmanship Form
* Game Situations
* Commish's Notes
* Events
* Board Members
* Committees
* Bylaws
* Constitution
* Game Fees
* Edit Registration

Limited-Access Menu
* Email To All Members
* Upload New Database
* Evaluation Game Table
* Reconcile Roster
* Count Members

[Edited by Camron Rust on Nov 21st, 2002 at 06:20 PM]
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

My two cents. In our site we put the comment forms behind the password. With the form open, you could get blizted with people sending you garbage you have to deal with.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Post your site?

Kelvin, could you post your sites address? I would like to take a look for future ideas?
Thanks
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Hi Ridgeben. At first I thought it was just cool to get the website up. Now, the site looks a lot more professional. And yes, I think the guys are happy to have the personal info password protected.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Hi Ridgeben. At first I thought it was just cool to get the website up. Now, the site looks a lot more professional. And yes, I think the guys are happy to have the personal info password protected.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Well I am glad to hear that it is getting used. If you have any suggestions for items you would like to see on the site feel free to let me know.
Ben
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Portland Site

The Portland site is very good, I am looking to move our site that way but there are some older habits that are tough to break. I am not sure that we are ready to give out assignments via the web just yet. But eventually we will get there. Thanks for the info.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Portland Site

Quote:
Originally posted by Ridgeben
The Portland site is very good, I am looking to move our site that way but there are some older habits that are tough to break. I am not sure that we are ready to give out assignments via the web just yet. But eventually we will get there. Thanks for the info.
We don't actually asign the games that way. We still get a paper copy to sign and return. It's a backup and convienient way to contact your partners. It may someday move to that. Not enough validation to trust it as the official assigments, yet. Plus, you would still have to support paper for those without computers.