The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 12:55am
Administrator

Time to vent.

Today, my partner (and I use the term loosely) did not show up for a girls H.S. freshmen game until the intermission between the first and second quarter. Team A is the Home team and Team Be is the Visitor team. The second and third quarters went reasonably well, but the fourth quarter did not go so well.

First problem: Early in the fourth quarter, my partner had on ball coverage during a scramble for the ball. A1 came up with the ball while on her back. As she started to sit up B1 jumped on top of her and knocked her backwards onto the floor. My partner signaled a held ball. I could not understand how B1’s actions could be nothing but a foul until I heard him yell to a fan that it was okay for one player to jump onto another player during a scramble for a loose ball.

Second problem: Later, while I was reporting a foul, he yelled at the players to hurry up because he had to get to work after the game was over. Both coaches and the home team’s assistant athletic director heard him.

Third problem: Team A had a twelve with less than three minutes left in the game. As one faces the Scorer’s Table Team B’s bench is to the left of the Scorer’s Table. Team B has the ball in its frontcourt, Table Side, above the free throw line on the weak side. I was Lead opposite the table. After I had moved Ball Side, B1 passed the ball toward B2 in the low post in front of me. A2 stepped in front of B2 and intercepted the pass. As I face A2 and B2, B2 is to my right and tries to reach around A2 and grab the ball, B2 hacks A2 across her left arm, which is closet to me. From my position, B2 is more less between A2 and myself and A2 is between B2 and the Trail official. I sound my whistle for the foul by B2, at the same time I am sounding my whistle, my partner sounds his whistle. It would seem that since I had on ball coverage that I would have the primary call, especially when I was only about nine feet away from the play, my partner was about 25 feet away, and there was no way that my partner could have seen B2’s illegal contact let alone see a possible held ball between A2 and B2. But my partner is signally a held ball. I immediately go to him to let him know that I am taking the call. To my surprise, he tells me his whistle was first and that his call is the only one that counts. At this point, I quietly tell him, that we are going with my call. He told me that we were going with his call because his whistle was first. If his whistle was before mine, the time differential would have to be measured in nanoseconds. I told him that our whistles were close enough to be simultaneous and that we were going with my call because I had the best possible look at the play not to mention that I had on ball and primary coverage on the call. He insisted that his call was going to prevail. I reminded him that I was also the Referee for the game and that in this situation I would have the final say. He would give up and threatened to walk off the court if he did not prevail. This is all taking place in front of the scorer’s table, and everybody in the place can see that our discussion is not going well. I finally told him that the foul call was going to prevail and then I proceeded to report the foul and got the players lined up for the free throws (Team A was in the one-and-one bonus). He refused to leave the scorer’s table unless we did it his way. He even threatened to end the game (I still cannot figure out how he could do that since I was the Referee) if he did not get his way. Finally the home team’s assistant director entered the court and wanted to know what the problem was. How does one explain the situation to someone who does not understand officiating mechanics and really does not care except that she has an ugly situation unfolding on her court. To make a short story long, I surrendered and let him have his way just so we could get the game finished.

Thanks for letting me vent tonight.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Wow! Sounds like the first quarter went well, though.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 07:17am
In Memoriam

Mark T.,
My Goodness!
Something has to be done about that problem.
What are your plans?
mick
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Hey! I remember that guy! He used to take his ball and go home when we wouldn't let him be quarterback on every play.

- Catherine Aird
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Ref from H*ll

I think he's also a coach in my area. Yells at the refs all the time, then threatens to take his team off the court.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Let him go!!

At least you did not loose your cool. Its a tough situation that will definitely not be solved on the court. Did you discuss anything after the game or did he leave because he was late for work? Oh yeah, he showed up late for work.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Thanks for letting me vent tonight.
[/B]
Mark,

I think you handled it better than most. But, you cant let that stuff stand. I am sure you know the assignor well and I would be on the phone with him by now letting him know that I wouldnt be working with that guy ever again. Did you ask the AD for a copy of the tape?

Wow, I cant imagine someone without enough respect for the advocation and the way things should be handled.

Larks
VIT

Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Wow, what a jerk. Two thing Mark;

1) You are able to control your temper much better me or anyone I know. I think I would have let him leave.

2) See my signature line.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Mark, you handled it the way you felt was the best way to handle it, and I have no problems with how you resolved the situation. If it had been me, however, I think I would have reported the foul and then let him decide to either stay or go. You worked the first quarter without him. I'd have also worked the last quarter without him.

But as I said, you know better than I do what was the best thing at that time and place. Glad it's behind you.

Chuck
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 10:34am
Esteemed Participant

Just to set the record straight - I was NOT anywhere near Ohio last night...I was in Washington State...anyone else need to confess???

Seriously - I also would have reported the foul and told him to feel free to leave if he chose to...then I would have finished the game, and called the assignor from the car...what a loser!
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Mark,

I feel your pain! You showed remarkable restraint. There are times in life when it's best to just kick someone's ***. :-) File a report w/ your assignor and move on.

Z
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Please report this. Include a game tape if you can get one. Ask the game manager or home AD to report also. Please don't leave this guy out there to bring his pain on other teams that work so hard in practice and deserve an official with at least half a clue and a full effort.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Just to set the record straight - I was NOT anywhere near Ohio last night...I was in Washington State...anyone else need to confess???
We'll, I did have surgery last week and have occassionally been taking some narcotic pain relievers. I didn't think they were affecting me that much and I thought that was just a dream. Not sure how I got there from Oregon, but I guess it was me.

Quote:

Seriously - I also would have reported the foul and told him to feel free to leave if he chose to...then I would have finished the game, and called the assignor from the car...what a loser!
I agree. Just go on without him. Let him choose to join you or not.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Talking re:

So Mark, what you're saying is you two didn't get to cover double whistles during pregame conference that he missed because he was late. Unbelieveable story.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Mark-

I sure hope that something was said to your local association about this person. Was this a seasoned official?

AK ref SE