The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 01:53am
Back from the DL

The "Up Yours" Mechanic?

HS V tournament game, neutral site. I'm in the stands, several rows back behind the table. (My son is a manager for the higher seed.)

One of the officials reports a holding foul to the table, but instead of holding his forearm, he holds the the crook of his arm, with his forearm pointed skyward.

I've never seen that one! I have to wonder if the scorekeeper said something to this official earlier that would merit this mechanic.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
reports a holding foul to the table, but instead of holding his forearm, he holds the the crook of his arm, with his forearm pointed skyward.
Sometimes.....
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

I'm having a hard time envisioning what you're trying to say?

Perhaps the official was trying better to describe the nature of the foul. Sticking with strictly NFHS signals doesn't always best describe what happened on the play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 11:36am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I'm having a hard time envisioning what you're trying to say?

Perhaps the official was trying better to describe the nature of the foul. Sticking with strictly NFHS signals doesn't always best describe what happened on the play.
Maybe the official was demonstrating the President Skroob Salute?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
One of the officials reports a holding foul to the table, but instead of holding his forearm, he holds the the crook of his arm, with his forearm pointed skyward.

I've never seen that one! I have to wonder if the scorekeeper said something to this official earlier that would merit this mechanic.
If I am envisioning what you are describing correctly, I've seen it several times this season. One official used that 'mechanic' for a hold (I heard him say that) and once for a very obvious hack. In these cases, the right fist up and the left hand making something like an 'O' banged against the right elbow. Those who couldn't hear him verbalize 'hold' on the first one are probably still wondering what the heck it was.