The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 15, 2002, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Last year, a situation happened that has bothered me. Time was winding down in the 2nd quarter of a girls varsity game. We were a 3 man crew and I was the trail tableside. In our chapter we teach the C has the final shot responsibilities. The C was directly behind the girl as she set up for a 3 point shot. The ball was passed to her from my area and she shot. I am 150% sure that she released after the horn, but for some reason the C did not wave it off and instead held the three finger sign for a 3 point attempt. Fortunately, the shot missed. As I walked by the coach, she commented that my partner was going to count it. Everyone in gym (almost everyone) knew the shot was released late. When we got in the locker room we discussed the play and the C said that under no circumstances was I to "buy my way into that call." This ref has more experience than I, but I would think we would want to get the call right in this case. Your opinions please.
Old Fri Nov 15, 2002, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

A few thoughts:

Lucky it was a missed try. Best to "keep on moving" and not acknowledge the coach's remark.

If you were 150% sure, it would be appropriate to jog over the the other ref and tell him (in private) what you saw. It would be up to him to make the call (score it, ot not).

I find that referee's remark arrogant and condescending.
He may be more experienced that you, but he lacks professionalism and class IMO.

Old Fri Nov 15, 2002, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

I could write the same thing marty did. Instead, I'll just say ditto!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Nov 15, 2002, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
I was the trail in a 2-man JV boys game last year in the same situation. I indicated the three point shot was good at the horn. My partner came to me quietly and immediately telling me that it looked like the shot was clearly late. I asked him if he was 100% sure and he said "yes." I then over-ruled myself and went to the table first and the coach second. I told the coach that my partner had a better angle on the play and he was sure that the shot was late. The coach didn't say one word and just returned to the bench.
Old Fri Nov 15, 2002, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
When we got in the locker room we discussed the play and the C said that under no circumstances was I to "buy my way into that call." This ref has more experience than I, but I would think we would want to get the call right in this case. Your opinions please.
Are your games taped in PA? If they are, than my reply would have been; “Well, I hope the AD’s call to X (your boards president or the assignor) is a pleasant one.” Then let it drop.
Old Fri Nov 15, 2002, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

#1 I think Tony only replied to get his animation some more screen-time.

#2 I think quietly jogging over and giving info on a last second game deciding shot is not realistic. It's nut-check time (sorry juules), if you are sure you had better be selling it all the way to your partner and not give a crud if he hates you forever, if I am 150% sure I am going to do it, but then..I was watching my own area and didn't see it for sure...
Old Fri Nov 15, 2002, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

This was a play to end the second quarter, not a last second, game-deciding shot. However, if it was that situation, in both two and three man mechanics, the final decision is the responsibility of the Referee (if there is a disagreement or the timer has to be consulted). This would usually occur after the refs have conferenced, shared information, and the responsible ump disagrees with the Ref.

So, even if the Ref is the guy about to "blow" the call, the ump(s) can offer info, but the Ref has the final say.
The situation is described in NFHS Basketball Officials Manual in the Basic Procedures and Mechanics sections (two and three officials).
Old Fri Nov 15, 2002, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Not disagreeing with what you said, Marty. My point was just that there are times when quietly going to your partner and offering info is, unfortunately, not plausible. The NFHS manual outlines letting the C official take this call, PAref asked if it was appropriate to "overrule" this official. Granted, he didn't use those words, but that is essentially what he is asking. I only suggested that if one were to do so, he had better be 150% sure, be prepared to piss somebody off, and sell the hell out of the call.
Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cmonref Send a message via Yahoo to cmonref
He ovboiusly messed up, but you must let him sink or swim with his call. this year, i am going through a partner transition and it's tough, i don't always agree with the two of them, but we talk it over. The important thing is to remember why we are there. we are there for the players. which means the most important thing is getting the dam# call right! In the end, that is all anyone can ever ask and that is all that matters.
Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 10:29pm
In Memoriam

Cool Another Packer Backer.

Quote:
Originally posted by cmonref
He ovboiusly messed up, but you must let him sink or swim with his call. this year, i am going through a partner transition and it's tough, i don't always agree with the two of them, but we talk it over. The important thing is to remember why we are there. we are there for the players. which means the most important thing is getting the dam# call right! In the end, that is all anyone can ever ask and that is all that matters.
cmonref,
Trouble with new partner in Central Wisconsin?
You must be working with Williebfree.
Welcome.
Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

nope, not willie, but he be a tough one to work with. i have been there and i have done that many times before!
Old Tue Nov 19, 2002, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

I am to understand that in Wisconsin you work with the same two officials for the entire season? Or is it just an extended period of time?
Out here, can't see same partner or same team for next nine days.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2002, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

in wisconsin, we work on a 2-man system, which sucks (i feel they should go to 3 person and so do a lot of other people who have worked 3-person college and love it.) what happened w/ me this year is I formed a triad w/ 2 other guys. so, we can pick and choose who goes where. it gives more flexibility and I love it. In Wisconsin, the partner you have is usually the partner you stick w/.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2002, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

We have discussed this situation in detail at our meetings.

The prevailing opinion is if the basket will affect the outcome and you are 100% sure, then you should run to your partner (give the table a signal to "hold things") and discuss it, like you would a double whistle.

The local opinion is anyone can wave it, but you had better be sure and be able to see ice to an eskimo.