The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Another first

Start of overtime, jump ball with both teams in bonus. Team A goes up and taps ball straight up, Team B attempts tap but Team A whacks her arm. Both players were the jumper. I assumed since the ball was live after the tap I have a foul on Team A with Team B shooting bonus. Did I assume right? If so, who then gets the possesion arrow?
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
Start of overtime, jump ball with both teams in bonus. Team A goes up and taps ball straight up, Team B attempts tap but Team A whacks her arm. Both players were the jumper. I assumed since the ball was live after the tap I have a foul on Team A with Team B shooting bonus. Did I assume right? If so, who then gets the possesion arrow?
The ball is live once the official tosses the ball...any illegal contact will be a personal foul and since Team B is in the bonus, Team will be shooting free throws. Team A will get the possession arrow once the ball is placed at the disposal of the Team B free throw shooter.

4-3
Alternating-possession control is established and the initial direction of the possession arrow is set toward the opponent's basket when:
Art 2...The ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower after a common foul when the bonus free throw is in effect.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Sat Feb 19, 2011 at 12:18am. Reason: added rule citation
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

I got it right then. If no touch had occured on the jump, would you treat the contact as incidental as long the jumper does not intentionally create contact, unless of course she shoves or pushes opponent down?
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I got it right then. If no touch had occured on the jump, would you treat the contact as incidental as long the jumper does not intentionally create contact, unless of course she shoves or pushes opponent down?
Depends...was one player in a more advantageous position to get the ball? Was he not able to hit the ball due to the contact? Did it cause the jumper to hit the ball where he reasonable didn't want to hit it?

Those are questions that would be going through my head and help me decide foul or not. Most of the time, if there's contact it'll be incidental. These type of fouls will easily call themselves.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

There was clearly a disadvantage. My partner and I got together to discuss and make sure we both saw the same thing and determined we had a foul.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Didn't want to rush into a decision, especially in the start of overtime.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There was clearly a disadvantage. My partner and I got together to discuss and make sure we both saw the same thing and determined we had a foul.
Well there you go.

I would have to ask how either you or your partner had a double whistle (I'm assuming that's what happened when y'all got together). The tosser should never have the whistle in mouth when tossing the ball or risk having a chipped/broken tooth when a jumper hits your whistle.

Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Never thought about the possibility of a chipped tooth. I'll have to remember that. Thanks. I was the only one that blew the whistle as the tosser.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 11:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Not In Mark Padgett's Class ...

Quote:
Never thought about the possibility of a chipped tooth.
Basketball Officiating 101.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)