The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Judgement v Missed Rule (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62595-judgement-v-missed-rule.html)

dahoopref Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 730690)
the days of "it's not in my area so it's not my business" are over....get the call right is, and should be, the goal for officials...

So if you're watching your partner's primary area of coverage (not dual area), then who is watching yours?

My conference assignor has instructed his staff: if you call out of your primary area, it better be for a non-basketball play.

tref Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 730790)
So if you're watching your partner's primary area of coverage (not dual area), then who is watching yours?.

see post #17

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 730790)
My conference assignor has instructed his staff: if you call out of your primary area, it better be for a non-basketball play.

It is what it is...

JRutledge Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:55pm

I have no problem with getting it right, but there is a right way to do that. If it is judgment calls we need to live with those. Officials get those wrong often. The only way I would give information is if I saw the entire play and I know it was one way and my partner had another way and we have some dual or coverage where I would see something. I am just not going to split hairs and try to correct a judgment call. I have to know a rule was kicked, not think a rule was kicked. And I believe we can learn from a situation that we talk about in the locker room. Might realize we did not see the entire play as we thought. But the court is not the time to correct everything or we do not need to be out there.

Peace

26 Year Gap Wed Feb 16, 2011 01:16pm

I know that the BC exception is for the player who is 'receiving' the inbound pass. There may be a case play for this scenario if it was a FC endline throw-in. Since A2 touched it [if A2 was in FC] then A2 could retrieve it in BC without violation. Not sure if that would extend to A3, though. Even if A2 had not controlled it.

Adam Wed Feb 16, 2011 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 730800)
I know that the BC exception is for the player who is 'receiving' the inbound pass. There may be a case play for this scenario if it was a FC endline throw-in. Since A2 touched it [if A2 was in FC] then A2 could retrieve it in BC without violation. Not sure if that would extend to A3, though. Even if A2 had not controlled it.

??? If, following a throwin, the ball is tipped in the FC towards the BC, any player may retrieve it. No exception is required, as TC is never established in the FC.

tref Wed Feb 16, 2011 01:23pm

Yup! TC is not obtained by a mere touching of the ball.

Eastshire Wed Feb 16, 2011 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 730800)

Team control was never established in the play in question and therefore there can be no backcourt violation.

BillyMac Wed Feb 16, 2011 06:08pm

Four Elements ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 730807)
Team control was never established in the play in question and therefore there can be no backcourt violation.

The four elements for having a backcourt violation are: there must be team control; the ball must have achieved
frontcourt status; the team in team control must be the last to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt;
that same team must be the first to touch after the ball has been in the backcourt.

Raymond Wed Feb 16, 2011 07:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 730644)
I was working a GJV game last night with a rookie partner. As L, I'm administering an endline throw-in. A1 throws the ball towards the sideline. A2 makes a diving bat to keep the ball inbounds (no control imo). A3, who obviously thinks she cannot go into the back court, awkwardly attempts to get the ball while remaining in the FC but ultimately goes into the BC. I do not believe A3 ever gains control before my partner whistles a BC violation.

Now this call is out of my primary (I'm only seeing it since it was near my sideline in the first place) and for all I know at the time, my partner feels A3 gained control before going into the backcourt
. Do you confer with him or just go with his call?

I went with his call and talked to him about it afterward. He did indeed kick it as he didn't have A3 gaining control.

You don't have 100% solid information to give him so there is no reason to confer with him. Talk to him about the elements of the play at halftime or after the game.