The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Principle of Verticality (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62453-principle-verticality.html)

Adam Mon Feb 14, 2011 06:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 730056)
Must be your awesome power of persuasion, Snaqs! :D

Maybe, but you went backwards.

BillyMac Mon Feb 14, 2011 06:28pm

Stick 'Em Up ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 730013)
Funny how they always appear to be "straight up" after the contact.

Like the players who reach outside their plane of verticality and foul a shooter, and then as the whistle sounds, put up their hands up like someone is holding a gun on them?

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...f9390b33bffb11

zeedonk Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 729996)

In other words, they believe you can't draw a charge if you're in the air.

Called one of these earlier in the year. A1 driving to the cup, B1 comes over and established LGP, then, inexplicably, jumps straight up in the air as A1 tries to run through the middle of his chest. Going the other way- Entire A team coaching staff erupts (all 5 of them). I report PC foul and say to HC, "he had LGP, your guy ran him over" and go opposite. Partner inbounds and after an OOB by the bench winds up warning staff. Nothing further, but I spoke with AC after the game, whom I know pretty well, and says "how the hell can you call a charge on a guy when the defender is in the air?" I reply "veritcality". He says "Oh, OK.... wait- what?" Repeat.

Z

GoodwillRef Tue Feb 15, 2011 06:46am

I think one of the factors contributing to this is that schools are hiring younger and younger coaches these days. We are seeing coaches in their early to mid twenties being hired as varsity head coaches and they are so overwhelmed with everything else about the job they do not have the time to read or understand the rules.

Last year we had a 24 year old girls varsity coach yelling at us from the opening tip...I warned her after 26 seconds...not another word the rest of the game. I thought I was working a 5th grade game they way she was yelling for stuff.

rwest Tue Feb 15, 2011 07:27am

Yeah,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 730060)
Maybe, but you went backwards.

But did he have LGP?

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 15, 2011 08:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 729977)
Nope. He was talking about trees. That means "not" should be "knot", woodn't it?

Bad Woddy. Bad, bad Woddy.

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 15, 2011 08:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 730012)
That's a legitimate question. But if they don't, I guess that would make the rule "misunderstood."

They understand it if it is THEIR player on defense.

bainsey Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeedonk (Post 730136)
"how the hell can you call a charge on a guy when the defender is in the air?" I reply "veritcality". He says "Oh, OK.... wait- what?" Repeat.

There it is. This is what I believe to be one of the many myths we battle.

Adam Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 730248)
There it is. This is what I believe to be one of the many myths we battle.

Yep, but his response indicates he's aware of the rule but not overly familiar with it's applications.

My guess is that LGP is more likely the rule they aren't even aware of, whereas they're simply confused about verticality.

bainsey Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 730252)
Yep, but his response indicates he's aware of the rule but not overly familiar with it's applications.

I don't know about that. Let's find out.

Hey Zeedonk, would you say the AC was completely ignorant of the verticality concept?

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:58am

One of the common plays that involves the principle of verticality is when the offensive player has the ball either under the backboard or behind it and leaps back to make a try at the hoop. The defender goes straight up and there is contact. I've got nothing or I've got an offensive foul.

Adam Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 730253)

Hey Zeedonk, would you say the AC was completely ignorant of the verticality concept?

Good grief. Try this little experiment.

Next time a defender contacts a shooter while vertical, call the foul. I can virtually guarantee the coach will cry that his defender was vertical.

I was taught verticality by a subpar middle school coach back in the 80s. Commentators use the terminology all the time on TV. People know of the concept/principal, even if they don't understand it.

Judtech Tue Feb 15, 2011 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 729967)
Coach: Why is that not a foul?
Me: It was, coach, but I didn't call it because I felt you haven't been paying attention to me lately.

Coach: "Why wasn't that a foul"?
Me: " Because you have the advantage in the foul count and in the first half you asked me to even the fouls up. Geez, make up your mind

Scuba_ref Tue Feb 15, 2011 04:08pm

Post of the week?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 730309)
Coach: "Why wasn't that a foul"?
Me: " Because you have the advantage in the foul count and in the first half you asked me to even the fouls up. Geez, make up your mind

I know it is still early in the week...but this is beautiful.

zeedonk Tue Feb 15, 2011 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 730253)

No, I don't believe he was... I think he's aware of it, but I suppose that call isn't made very often, and when it is, everyone who doesn't know the rule stops for a second and replays it in their mind and decides that the call should be a block, because the defender was airborne...

I think in general, the coaches will acknowledge verticality when it takes the form of their defender standing and holding his/her arms straight up. It totally throws them for a loss when the defender becomes airborne, and I guarantee that if I make that call and their guy is on defense, the HC or AC will turn to the next coach in line and snicker "boy he screwed up that call didn't he? I mean our guy was way up in the air! Hee Hee!"

Like I said in my post, I have no idea why the defender jumped in the air, but he did and I'm pretty sure if I blew the call and called a block because I wasn't expecting him to jump, nobody would have said boo...

Z