The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 06:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question NBE 5 second rule

I was flipping channels this morning and saw a few minutes of an NBE game. A player was dribbling and backing into the lane while guarded when an official called a "5 second violation" on the dribbler. One of the announcers called this the "Mark Jackson rule" but I think that was because Jackson was one of the analysts on the telecast. Anyone know what this rule is about?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 06:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I was flipping channels this morning and saw a few minutes of an NBE game. A player was dribbling and backing into the lane while guarded when an official called a "5 second violation" on the dribbler. One of the announcers called this the "Mark Jackson rule" but I think that was because Jackson was one of the analysts on the telecast. Anyone know what this rule is about?
It's actually called the Charles Barkley rule.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 06:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
There is some sort of back-to-the-basket closely guarded rule in the NBA. Mark Jackson most definitely liked to back smaller guards down so it might be the "Mark Jackson" rule.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

A player with the ball below the free throw line extended is not allowed to dribble the ball with his back or side to the basket for longer than 5 seconds. The count ends when the dribble ends, the defense deflects the ball away or the player dribbles the ball above the free throw line extended. The penalty is a turnover and the ball awarded to the defense at the free throw line extended. The violation is known as a five-second back-to-basket violation.

The rule is informally known as the "Charles Barkley rule."
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Sun Feb 13, 2011 at 07:07pm. Reason: added last critera for ending 5 second count