The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Missed travel sent the JV game into OT (and then a 2OT)

Blatant travel on last possession of regulation for the visiting team. Had it been called, the home team would've had about 2 seconds to go the length of the court. Then it went OT. Then a second OT.

I doused the JV officials clothes with lighter fluid and set them on fire between the overtime periods.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:44am
We don't rent pigs

chseagle carries a fire extinguisher.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 06:56am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Blatant travel on last possession of regulation for the visiting team. Had it been called, the home team would've had about 2 seconds to go the length of the court. Then it went OT. Then a second OT.

I doused the JV officials clothes with lighter fluid and set them on fire between the overtime periods.
Did the player who traveled get a shot up and tie the game? If so, you should have doused him with lighter fluid and set him on fire for doing that.

Signed: the kinder, gentler JR.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 07:20am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Wait. Did the other team miss any free throws?
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 07:22am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Non-believer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
No such animal.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 08:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Did the player who traveled get a shot up and tie the game? If so, you should have doused him with lighter fluid and set him on fire for doing that.

Yes. Actually, my OP was a bit incorrect (it was a bit late). The travel would've put the ball in the hands of the winning team up 2 with 2 seconds left.

This travel was what I would conservatively call a running start. The pivot foot not only came up before the dribble, it came down again. Missed by the guy wearing the collared shirt.

It was funny watching the reaction of the varsity coaches, who I was talking with in the corner of the gym watching the end of this. Both of them saw their teams tie the score late and both of them openly grimaced when their players did so. They would've rather seen their JV team lose than have to sit through an OT (or 2). I even said to the visiting coach, "You'd better not let them see that face," and she started laughing.

She did ask me about a technical that got called in the first half of the JV game (before we arrived). They had a 1-1 and then a technical on the head coach. They shot the technical first and then the bonus and played it normally. She then described to me how it should've been played and I simply agreed with her. Maybe they were NCAA officials on the side.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Butterfly182310
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Yes. ...This travel was what I would conservatively call a running start. The pivot foot not only came up before the dribble, it came down again...

...They shot the technical first and then the bonus and played it normally...
Was there any discussion (or any time for discussion) with the jv officials about these situations. It appears there may have been opportunity for a couple "learning moments" here.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

On the other hand...

What about the missed foul in the first half of the varsity game? The one the guy in the non-collared shirt missed? The one the fanboys in the stands and the other coach yelled about.

How is that worse than a JV official missing a travel?
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post
Was there any discussion (or any time for discussion) with the jv officials about these situations. It appears there may have been opportunity for a couple "learning moments" here.
They come off the floor, we come on. With no association, it's unlikely I'd see them again. JV officials are usually local guys who will never work and have no desire to work a varsity game.

It wasn't a well-officiated game. I watched both overtimes from the corner. This travel, though, was so blatant that we got a good laugh, is all.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
What about the missed foul in the first half of the varsity game? The one the guy in the non-collared shirt missed? The one the fanboys in the stands and the other coach yelled about.

How is that worse than a JV official missing a travel?
You're funny. If you saw some of the lower level officials we see around here, you'd stop trying to defend them. It's a $40 paycheck for many of these collared shirt, white sneakered, belted Docker guys and if I tried commenting about their work, they'd look at me like I had 3 heads.