Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
Guys read the article

Guys and Gals,
Post what you would have done, point out the errors...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...r-victory.html

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

High school boys basketball: Refs' error leads to Green River victory | Deseret News

Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 11:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine ???

7-6-6: When the ball is awarded to the wrong team, the mistake must be
rectified before the throw-in ends.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Once the throw-in ended, its too late to correct the error. It is not a correctable error situation. The points shouldn't of been erased or reinstated as correctable error does apply.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a bunch of people that don't know the rule.

This is not a correctable error. Once the throw-in has ended, we can not correct the error of the wrong team in bounding the ball. The 3 point basket that resulted can not be taken back because it doesn't fit any of the five correctable error criteria. The fact that the association thought the initial ruling was correct is alarming.

Second, there's no way I'm even entertaining a principal bringing out a rule book for us to read...much less five minutes later.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I' m guessing the reporter didnt talk to the association's interpreter. Not exactly sure why the association would of talked to the reporter to start with.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
The fact that the association thought the initial ruling was correct is alarming.
this information came directly from the losing coach...not the association

"After a conversation with the UHSAA on Friday, Baldwin (losing coach) said it was the opinion of the association that the first ruling was correct."
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
this information came directly from the losing coach...not the association

"After a conversation with the UHSAA on Friday, Baldwin (losing coach) said it was the opinion of the association that the first ruling was correct."
You are correct. I would think the writer would get a quote from the appropriate person with the UHSAA...especially if a coach is going to go on the record as saying they supported a clear misapplication of a rule.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 12:06pm
Back from the DL

First of all, communicate. Know the direction and team color after every single time out and intermission, and communicate it with your partner(s).

More importantly, know the damn rules! How can varsity officials not know that you can't correct throw-in errors such as these?! To miss a call or two is one thing. To have a principal pull out the book and school you on the rules is inexcusable.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 12:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Left, Right, Front, Back ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
First of all, communicate. Know the direction and team color after every single time out and intermission, and communicate it with your partner(s).
We've been taught to hold the ball on on either side, or in front of us, or behind us, during timeouts. It feels silly holding the ball behind us, but everytime I hear one of these horror stories, it makes it a little bit easier to do it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 12:40pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It feels silly holding the ball behind us, but everytime I hear one of these horror stories, it makes it a little bit easier to do it.
+1

I had to show a rookie that mechanic this year. It's awkward, but effective.

Just make sure there aren't any buddies behind you either. The ball tends to get poked.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:24pm
Esteemed Participant

So they mess up on who gets the throw-in. Then they have a "do over" and take points off/put time back on. Then they have a "do over do over" and put the points back on. Does that about sum it all up?

My thoughts/comments: WTF???
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

I like how the article ended with they will use officials from "out of the area". Like they were somehow biased to one team. That kind of stuff gets the hackles up.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

This was a 1A game, The Smallest Class in Utah, I know this was just a 2-man game. The officials could be from Utah but I would bet they were from CO, AZ or NM as this school is in extreme SE Utah near the 4-Corners area where they get the official from those other states because of proximity.

I think any official should know the new rule regarding the inbound and then again know rule 2-10 and removing points from the scorebook.

Sounds like the communication wasn't the best, but then the story is just one-side.

Morale to the story: acknowledge TO, report the TO, then communicate to your partner(s) the direction we will be going following the TO and the position on the court where we will inbound.

Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 07:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Love the "leads to Green River victory" part of the headline. As if a 3 point shot in the third quarter is that big of a deal.