The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

A1 driving to the hoop leaves the floor and makes a pass to A2 (Definitely no shot intended).... In the air and clearly after the pass is released, A1 plows into B1 (Who has established a legal guarding position)... Do we have player control or simply an offensive foul?

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

IN HIGH SCHOOL:
Not a player control foul. For this the player must have control of the ball or be an airborne shooter. This is simply a charging foul. It is a common foul and if the other team is in the bonus, they will shoot one-and-one.

Actually, I don't believe that in the HS rules book the term "Offensive foul" is ever defined or used. If someone could double check me on this statement, that would be great.

Now in College they do have the concept of an offensive foul. I don't know all the particulars of this, ask an NCAA official. My understanding is that it is simply a foul by a player of the team in control, except a player with the ball. They do NOT shoot one-and-one in college on offensive fouls now.
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 04:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb This can be confusing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

IN HIGH SCHOOL:
Not a player control foul. For this the player must have control of the ball or be an airborne shooter. This is simply a charging foul. It is a common foul and if the other team is in the bonus, they will shoot one-and-one.

Completely true!!!

Quote:

Actually, I don't believe that in the HS rules book the term "Offensive foul" is ever defined or used. If someone could double check me on this statement, that would be great.
You are correct. No such rule under NF Rules.

Quote:

Now in College they do have the concept of an offensive foul. I don't know all the particulars of this, ask an NCAA official. My understanding is that it is simply a foul by a player of the team in control, except a player with the ball. They do NOT shoot one-and-one in college on offensive fouls now.
Technically there is no such foul as an "Offensive Foul" in college either. The only foul that resembles that of course is a Team Control foul. But depending on the action, an "Offensive Foul" might still result in shooting. Rebounding and certain loose ball sitatuations where a team is not in Team Control, you still could shoot if the bonus shots if the "Offensive Team" commits the foul. So if A2 fouls B1, after A1 shot is in the air, B1 will shoot bonus shots if Team B is in the bounus.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 04:51am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Rut!
Beautifully explained.
I don't do NCAA games, but my friends that do tell me that they now have a mechanic for indicating a "Team Control" foul and that this signal is exactly the same as the player control foul signal. That ought to be a little confusing!
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 05:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Thanks Rut!
Beautifully explained.
I don't do NCAA games, but my friends that do tell me that they now have a mechanic for indicating a "Team Control" foul and that this signal is exactly the same as the player control foul signal. That ought to be a little confusing!
Depends on if you do Women's or Men's sides. The NCAA is not just satisfied by having the same signal, they want to both have their own. For officials like myself that do both at this point, this is confusing. I see why they want you to pick one over the other. I had a Women's game on Friday, then turn around and did a Men's scrimmage on Saturday afternoon. It took me a couple of times up and down the floor to think "Men's mechanics" on Saturday afternoon. First time I had a back to back night like that. I am choosing next year so I can concentrate on just one.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks Rut!
Beautifully explained.
It's confusing because they don't tell the table . . .

I've seen both the hand-behind-the head PC signal and the FIBA "punch" signal given in 2 different exhibition games.