The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 08:34pm
I miss being on the floor

Deaf Partner

My partner tonight was mostly deaf. A good official, just hard to communicate verbally between me and him.

Our on-court communication was awesome though...because it had to be. Definitely a good exercise in mechanics and communicating with your partner.

Plus he's got an advantage...he can't really hear the coaches!
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

I have never given it much thought about a deaf person being an official. I guess as long as he/she uses good mechanics and good visual communications/contact with his partner, that he/she could be a good official. I think the only time there might be an issue is if a coach calls a TO and he can't hear him.

Last edited by RobbyinTN; Mon Feb 07, 2011 at 08:55pm.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 09:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
I have never given it much thought about a deaf person being an official. I guess as long as he/she uses good mechanics and good visual communications/contact with his partner, that he/she could be a good official. I think the only time there might be an issue is if a coach calls a TO and he can't hear him.
He did use very good mechanics...almost to the point of being over the top...but I thought that it was kinda necessary so that I and everyone else knew what he was calling since he wasn't able to verbalize much.

I don't remember if he granted any TO requests tonight...I know I did several. He told me that he also does football and softball. Pretty cool that he's able to do all of this with his deafness.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 10:53pm
Archaic Power Monger

I wonder if you worked with a guy that used to post here under the name of Ref Ump Welch? He worked basketball, football and softball IIRC.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
Agree, but he may also miss some foul language on calls or taunting situations. I feel deaf in about half the games I do regardless.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 11:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I wonder if you worked with a guy that used to post here under the name of Ref Ump Welch? He worked basketball, football and softball IIRC.
Was he from the Chicagoland area?
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 12:07am
Archaic Power Monger

Hmmm I don't know. Was your partner's name Brent?
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
Agree, but he may also miss some foul language on calls or taunting situations. I feel deaf in about half the games I do regardless.

You might be surprised about that. I work with a deaf person (100% deaf) and her ability to read lips is absolutely amazing. She is an active and accurate participant in conversations on just about any topic....as long as you're facing her. It impresses me every day.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
You might be surprised about that. I work with a deaf person (100% deaf) and her ability to read lips is absolutely amazing. She is an active and accurate participant in conversations on just about any topic....as long as you're facing her. It impresses me every day.
We have 2 Deaf referees in our association. I have enjoyed every time I have worked with either of them. Both lip read very well and have great mechanics. When driving home I have to keep the map light turned on so they can see my lips, otherwise we would drive in silence.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 07:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Hmmm I don't know. Was your partner's name Brent?
Nope.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Good Point! My wife reads lips as well! That is so cool that some deaf people have adapted to their hearing loss.