The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Deaf Partner (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61983-deaf-partner.html)

stiffler3492 Mon Feb 07, 2011 08:34pm

Deaf Partner

My partner tonight was mostly deaf. A good official, just hard to communicate verbally between me and him.

Our on-court communication was awesome though...because it had to be. Definitely a good exercise in mechanics and communicating with your partner.

Plus he's got an advantage...he can't really hear the coaches!

RobbyinTN Mon Feb 07, 2011 08:50pm

I have never given it much thought about a deaf person being an official. I guess as long as he/she uses good mechanics and good visual communications/contact with his partner, that he/she could be a good official. I think the only time there might be an issue is if a coach calls a TO and he can't hear him.

stiffler3492 Mon Feb 07, 2011 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 727472)
I have never given it much thought about a deaf person being an official. I guess as long as he/she uses good mechanics and good visual communications/contact with his partner, that he/she could be a good official. I think the only time there might be an issue is if a coach calls a TO and he can't hear him.

He did use very good mechanics...almost to the point of being over the top...but I thought that it was kinda necessary so that I and everyone else knew what he was calling since he wasn't able to verbalize much.

I don't remember if he granted any TO requests tonight...I know I did several. He told me that he also does football and softball. Pretty cool that he's able to do all of this with his deafness.

Welpe Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:53pm

I wonder if you worked with a guy that used to post here under the name of Ref Ump Welch? He worked basketball, football and softball IIRC.

Loudwhistle2 Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 727472)

Agree, but he may also miss some foul language on calls or taunting situations. I feel deaf in about half the games I do regardless.

stiffler3492 Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 727516)
I wonder if you worked with a guy that used to post here under the name of Ref Ump Welch? He worked basketball, football and softball IIRC.

Was he from the Chicagoland area?

Welpe Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:07am

Hmmm I don't know. Was your partner's name Brent?

Camron Rust Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 (Post 727529)
Agree, but he may also miss some foul language on calls or taunting situations. I feel deaf in about half the games I do regardless.

You might be surprised about that. I work with a deaf person (100% deaf) and her ability to read lips is absolutely amazing. She is an active and accurate participant in conversations on just about any topic....as long as you're facing her. It impresses me every day.

ref2coach Tue Feb 08, 2011 01:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 727541)
You might be surprised about that. I work with a deaf person (100% deaf) and her ability to read lips is absolutely amazing. She is an active and accurate participant in conversations on just about any topic....as long as you're facing her. It impresses me every day.

We have 2 Deaf referees in our association. I have enjoyed every time I have worked with either of them. Both lip read very well and have great mechanics. When driving home I have to keep the map light turned on so they can see my lips, otherwise we would drive in silence.

stiffler3492 Tue Feb 08, 2011 07:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 727536)
Hmmm I don't know. Was your partner's name Brent?

Nope.

Loudwhistle2 Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 727541)

Good Point! My wife reads lips as well! That is so cool that some deaf people have adapted to their hearing loss.