The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

New rule states that an injured or bleeding player can stay in the game if the team calls a timeout. Here is a situation. A-1 is injured and the official informs the coach to come on the court. After attending A-1, he is okay and coach allows him to stay in the game. Can you as an official charge a timeout to the coach of A-1?
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Once the player has been attended to, the only way that A1 can stay in the game is if team A takes a timeout. "Coach, do you want to take a time-out to keep him/her in the game or are you going to substitute?"

If sub, tell timer to start the 30-second timer.

If no sub, ask the coach if the time-out is a full or a 30 and then grant it.

Z
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Bchill24
.....he is okay and coach allows him to stay in the game.
The point is, the coach is not authorized to allow it. Only you have the authority, and you must not allow it. You can't grant a time-out if it isn't requested, unlike volleyball.
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Zebra:

I had a question on this response in your previous post.

"If sub, tell timer to start the 30-second timer."

I wasn't aware of a 30 second provision for a substitution in this case. I was always under the assumption that the coach was to substitute for the injured player as soon as possible. Can you (someone) direct me to the section of the rule book where I can find this? Thanks ahead of time for the info.

Pirate
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

See Rule 10-5-1.D

"The head coach must remain seated on the bench at all times while the clock is running or is stopped except to:
d. Replace or remove a disqualified/injured player, or a player directed to leave the game, within 30 seconds when a substitute is availalbe, while withink the confines of his/her bench."

Z
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Once the player has been attended to, the only way that A1 can stay in the game is if team A takes a timeout. "Coach, do you want to take a time-out to keep him/her in the game or are you going to substitute?"

Z
Don't have my new books yet, but I believe that only a full timeout can be used to keep the player in the game.
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 06:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:

Z
Don't have my new books yet, but I believe that only a full timeout can be used to keep the player in the game.
They can use either a 30 or 60 second time-out,Camron.See "comments on rules revisions" on NFHS.org.
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 07:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

Camron - as JR says below, either a full or 30 can be used. However, the rule also states that the situation must be able to be corrected within the allotted time. In my opinion, if a 30 is given and the player cannot continue at that time (still bleeding, etc) then either you change it to a full (not my first choice) or the player stays out and you resume play (my first choice). I think the choice of the player staying out makes sense since if he isn't able to come in after 60 seconds (in the case of a full being granted), you wouldn't extend the time.

I haven't checked the NF site yet, but maybe we should.

BTW - why don't you have your books yet? I got mine in early Oct.

OK - I checked the site and it said a team may be granted successive timeouts (as long as they have any remaining) until the player is ready to play.

[Edited by Mark Padgett on Nov 7th, 2002 at 06:37 PM]
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 08:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
[/B]
Camron - as JR says below, either a full or 30 can be used. However, the rule also states that the situation must be able to be corrected within the allotted time. In my opinion, if a 30 is given and the player cannot continue at that time (still bleeding, etc) then either you change it to a full (not my first choice) or the player stays out and you resume play (my first choice). [/B][/QUOTE]Mark,I don't think that you can change the called 30 to a 60sec. timeout if the player isn't ready.I think that they have to call another,separate TO(either 30 or 60) rather than being allowed to change the one that they were originally granted.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2002, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Jurassic Referee is correct, you cannot change the time-out to a full once it's been granted as a 30. A team can call a successive time-out to keep the player in the game.

Z
Old Fri Nov 08, 2002, 01:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
See Rule 10-5-1.D

"The head coach must remain seated on the bench at all times while the clock is running or is stopped except to:
d. Replace or remove a disqualified/injured player, or a player directed to leave the game, within 30 seconds when a substitute is availalbe, while withink the confines of his/her bench."

Z
The first part of that does not apply if your state has adopted the coaching box rule. They can stand as long as they do not have a Direct T or a Indirect T. Rule 1-13.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 08, 2002, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

....and, as stated in previous posts, if a sub is not ready nor is the injured player ready at the end of the time-out...i.e. no player has reported before the 45 second horn on a full time-out or the 20 second horn on a 30 second time-out....just tell the coach to get a player in the game.
No technical fouls called for not having a sub report in time when an injury is involved.

RD

Another sitch that may happen when you have an injured/bloodied player:
Player A1 has blood on his uniform...Team B requests a time-out. The referee notices blood on A1 after he grants Team B the time-out.
Ruling: If Coach A wants player A1 to stay in the game he will have to "burn" a time out even though Team B has been granted a time-out. Therefore, in this sitch, you would have a time-out charged to each team.
(Insert She's where the He's are if you wish)

[Edited by RookieDude on Nov 8th, 2002 at 06:07 AM]
Old Fri Nov 08, 2002, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Player A1 has blood on his uniform...Team B requests a time-out. The referee notices blood on A1 after he grants Team B the time-out.
Ruling: If Coach A wants player A1 to stay in the game he will have to "burn" a time out even though Team B has been granted a time-out. Therefore, in this sitch, you would have a time-out charged to each team.

Why can't Coach A get A1 ready to go back during team B's timeout (provided he is ready at 45 second horn)?
Old Fri Nov 08, 2002, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty Rogers

Why can't Coach A get A1 ready to go back during team B's timeout (provided he is ready at 45 second horn)?
Because Rule 3-3-6 requires the bloodied player's team to request a time-out in order for him/her to be allowed to return to the game.

RD
Old Fri Nov 08, 2002, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

The first part of that does not apply if your state has adopted the coaching box rule. They can stand as long as they do not have a Direct T or a Indirect T. Rule 1-13.

Rut, this post wasn't about the standing part, it was about the "blood or injury" part. I posted the whole rule so nothing would be taken out of context. Besides, even in states that allow a coaching box, a coach isn't allowed to be standing all the time. He/she has to be actively coaching or they sit.

Z