The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

return to bench?

Had GV yesterday with one of top teams in state, who were crushing home opponent. I call shooting foul as buzzer sounds to end third. With no time on clock we shoo girls off blocks and they return to their respective benches as shooter lines up. Home assistant tells me it's against the rules, that players have to be on the court, cannot go to huddle. ???? (I know, assistant coach, but down by twenty five, getting azzes kicked and he's not too chippy, I let it pass). He seemed so sure of himself that I gave it some thought, but never heard this one.

I believe you're not allowed to leave court after second quarter ends for halftime until shots are taken which he may have been thinking. I perused case book and couldn't find.

What say you?
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 01:52pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
They cannot be below the FT line extended. I thought the new rule was to prevent the team from leaving the court i.e. at halftime prior to the other team being able to leave, thus giving them a time advantage.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Had GV yesterday with one of top teams in state, who were crushing home opponent. I call shooting foul as buzzer sounds to end third. With no time on clock we shoo girls off blocks and they return to their respective benches as shooter lines up. Home assistant tells me it's against the rules, that players have to be on the court, cannot go to huddle. ???? (I know, assistant coach, but down by twenty five, getting azzes kicked and he's not too chippy, I let it pass). He seemed so sure of himself that I gave it some thought, but never heard this one.

I believe you're not allowed to leave court after second quarter ends for halftime until shots are taken which he may have been thinking. I perused case book and couldn't find.

What say you?

They do have to be on the court. Nothing says they can't huddle.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

It's just like any other free throw where the ball will be dead following the final throw.

Both teams need 5 players on the court.
No one lined up in the spaces.
Players not in a space are to be behind 3pt line and FT line ext.
Bench personnel are to remain seated.

Other than those restrictions, it's fair game.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post

Rule please.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Only those who are permitted to stand can huddle.

Players on the floor.
HC in the box (if allowed).
Bench personnel on the bench.

This is not a timeout.
This is not an intermission.

No other restrictions apply.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 04:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Rule please.
NFHS rule 8-1-5.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
NFHS rule 8-1-5.
It still seems vague to me, they were behind FTL extended and outside arc. Would they not be allowed to go to respective benches. I guess you could argue that since a player is shooting it puts that team in a disadvantage as player misses a few words from coach during break.

There is still 'play' on the court, so players must remain? Just seeking more clarification on this and rationale.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It still seems vague to me, they were behind FTL extended and outside arc. Would they not be allowed to go to respective benches. I guess you could argue that since a player is shooting it puts that team in a disadvantage as player misses a few words from coach during break.

There is still 'play' on the court, so players must remain? Just seeking more clarification on this and rationale.
It's just like the FTs for a T or an IP. Players must remain on the court, but can be in the bench area (as long as they are above the FT line and beyonsd the 3-point line). Other bench personnel may not (by rule) stand.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

if you think about it this way, maybe it will make more sense....

the quarter/period has NOT ended. there was a foul...the quarter/period cannot end until the penalty enforcement has been completed...therefore, by rule, you MUST have the 5 players from each team remain on the floor....

hope that helps...
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 12:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If there was time on the clock, would you allow the players to leave the playing court during FTs?
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

I think one point of confusion is whether the players are leaving the court or not. They can't. But, they can go stand right in front of their bench as long as they remain inbounds and are not below the FT line extended of where the shot is being attempted. The coach can stand right by them on the OOB side of the line. The other team members need to remain seated but they could be right behind the coach. Looks like a timeout-like huddle but it is not. It fully meets the requirements....players on the floor, coach in the box, non-players seated.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Had it happen twice this year. As long as they don't leave the court, and behave, I couldn't care less.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Had it happen twice this year. As long as they don't leave the court, and behave, I couldn't care less.

It really is academic, just wanting to know rule. Offending team had their 5 players mostly on court standing as I recall as coach was coaching, same with shooting team or close. Just gamemenship by coach. I casually asked him if he'd like them all on the court, by the time I asked, second shot was over.

Good to know if ever brought up again, I agree, though, I'd probably never players to 'stand down'.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Forgot this was a point POE this year which spells it out pretty clearly. Not fun having a coach tell you it was a POE during game. Good guy, saw him over weekend and we discussed. Have his team this week for a state tournament game.

PLAYERS AND TEAM MEMBERS REQUIRED TO REMAIN ON THE COURT/IN THE BENCH AREA WHILE THE GAME IS IN PROGRESS (10-3-6i; 10-5-5): A player leaving the court for an unauthorized reason to demonstrate resentment, disgust or intimidation will be added to the list of unsporting behaviors by a player with a technical foul penalty assessed. The committee hopes this rules change will further reduce the likelihood of individual players demonstrating unsporting behavior. In addition, a similar rule will be added requiring team members to remain on the court and in the bench area while the game is in progress until each quarter or extra period has officially ended. This includes free-throw attempts by an opponent with no time remaining on the clock. Since the Head Coach is ultimately responsible for the conduct of all team members, the penalty will be a technical foul assessed directly to the Head Coach.