The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 07:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

There is nothing in the rule that requires the player to be in the bench area during these free throws. On the court, yes, but not in the bench area. This POE is slightly misleading on this for those who don't understand the situation for which it is written.

It seems to me it was written to address coaches heading to the locker room when there are still FTs to be shot prior to half time. I'm not sure it was written to prevent B1 from stepping OOB to get a drink of water before the quarter break.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
It still seems vague to me, they were behind FTL extended and outside arc. Would they not be allowed to go to respective benches. I guess you could argue that since a player is shooting it puts that team in a disadvantage as player misses a few words from coach during break.

There is still 'play' on the court, so players must remain? Just seeking more clarification on this and rationale.
See p.69 Comments on the 2010-11 Rules Revisions

Players and team members required to remain on the court/in the bench area while the game is in progress

3rd and 4th sentences . . . In addition, a similar rule will be added requiring team members to remain on the court and in the bench area while the game is in progress until each quarter or extra period has officially ended. This includes free-throws attempts by an opponent with no time remaining on the clock.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Fullor30

Sorry, I skipped right past your Post 15. I didn't mean to be be redundant redundant.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
There is nothing in the rule that requires the player to be in the bench area during these free throws. On the court, yes, but not in the bench area. This POE is slightly misleading on this for those who don't understand the situation for which it is written.

It seems to me it was written to address coaches heading to the locker room when there are still FTs to be shot prior to half time. I'm not sure it was written to prevent B1 from stepping OOB to get a drink of water before the quarter break.
Snaqs.....

Wording with slash implies on court and can be in bench area. I agree, wording can be misconstrued.

That said, I'll never kick this one.