The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
Red face 5 sec CG in BC

Reading about the 10 sec violation that was not, I thought of a situation that happened twice to me by same partner. The first time in a boys game with shot clock, partner calls a 5 sec CG. He makes the call quick and puts the ball in play that I don't have time to discuss with him. At halftime we get together and I am able to recount the situation and he recognized his error. Next week, boys game again, calls 5 sec CG in BC. This time I run in and remind him that 5 sec in BC is not proper. He said, you're right and gave ball back to team in possession at time of call. Reading about the 10 sec that was not, should we have awarded the ball to defensive team anyway or did as we did or is this an example of incidental whistle?
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 04:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffish View Post
The first time in a boys game with shot clock, partner calls a 5 sec CG.
In your world, does the use of a shot clock eliminate the closely guarded count? Cause it doesn't in NCAAM.

If you're saying that both violations were called in the backcourt, fine, but it wasn't clear in the OP.

Last edited by Rich; Fri Feb 25, 2011 at 04:55pm.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This time I run in and remind him that 5 sec in BC is not proper. He said, you're right and gave ball back to team in possession at time of call.
I like it, getting it right is what its all about!
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
Rich,

The call was made in the BC. So, the shot clock has not bearing on BC CG calls, just that they shouldn't be made in the BC for a men's game.

tref, getting it right is good, but calling the wrong violation, can we "correct it" and keep going or is the correct call stick with call or go inadvertent whistle and arrow? We "corrected the call" and gave it back to original team.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 06:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Rich,

The call was made in the BC. So, the shot clock has not bearing on BC CG calls, just that they shouldn't be made in the BC for a men's game.

tref, getting it right is good, but calling the wrong violation, can we "correct it" and keep going or is the correct call stick with call or go inadvertent whistle and arrow? We "corrected the call" and gave it back to original team.
The calling official can correct this, as long as it's done quickly. This is a rule mistake, not a judgment error. I wouldn't go to him and ask, "are you sure you got to 5?" But you can certainly go and make sure he's applying the correct rules.

Similar to the erroneous BC dilemma.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 06:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Rich,

Fine, but read your post again. The first situation it wasn't clear you were talking about the backcourt and you threw in the non-sequitur of playing with a shot clock (in NFHS and NCAAM rules the presence or absence of a shot clock is irrelevant -- there's no CG count in the backcourt either way).
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps your partner does some NCAA-W games? Doesn't NCAA-W have no backcourt count but allows for a closely guarded count in the backcourt (if holding and the defender is within three feet)?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.