The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What do you say? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61679-what-do-you-say.html)

PG_Ref Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:50pm

What do you say?

When you have a designated spot throw-in, what do you say to verbally communicate it? ... "spot", "throw-in", "spot throw-in". Or do you verbally communicate it at all. Just curious what the consensus might be.

GoodwillRef Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 725732)
When you have a designated spot throw-in, what do you say to verbally communicate it? ... "spot", "throw-in", "spot throw-in". Or do you verbally communicate it at all. Just curious what the consensus might be.

Well, you would only have this issue in the backcourt going long. I think you can say spot or spot throw-in.

APG Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:54pm

"Spot"

I tell the thrower each and every time. Gets me in the habit of doing so, so I don't forget to tell the thrower "he can run" when he's allowed to.

RobbyinTN Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:55pm

I assume you mean to the thrower? If so, 99% of the time I point and say "right here". A few times I just point.

jeschmit Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 725738)
"Spot"

I tell the thrower each and every time. Gets me in the habit of doing so, so I don't forget to tell the thrower "he can run" when he's allowed to.

That's what I do too. Also, if we're coming out of a timeout I wait until the second horn, and I visibly point to the floor in front them while saying "spot". This helps you if someone watches the tape, I've been told.

It's almost like we were taught the same way APG... ;)

tref Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 725737)
Well, you would only have this issue in the backcourt going long. I think you can say spot or spot throw-in.

Hmmm I thought every sideline throw-in was designated as well as any f/c throw-in.

I say spot as I point to it.

bainsey Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:07pm

A number of people around here say "designated," even on sideline throw-ins. I never saw the point of saying it on sidelines, must be force of habit.

BLydic Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 725737)

I wouldn't assume the player knows he/she can't run the endline on a frontcourt throw-in.

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 725756)
I wouldn't assume the player knows he/she can't run the endline on a frontcourt throw-in.

Me neither, but it's the coach's responsibility to teach their players that, not ours. If you want to remind a player, fine. If you don't though, it is never the official's fault if he/she has to call a violation.

Mark Padgett Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:19pm

Last night, 7th grade boys game. Coming out of a timeout, A1 has a spot throw-in on B's endline. Before I can say anything, he asks if he can "run". I tell him sure, but it would be a violation, but if he really wants to, go ahead.

He gets that deer in headlights look, then smiles and says, "Oh, I get it."

He didn't violate.

wfd21 Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 725755)
A number of people around here say "designated," even on sideline throw-ins. I never saw the point of saying it on sidelines, must be force of habit.

I'm one of those people:cool:

tref Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 725762)
Me neither, but it's the coach's responsibility to teach their players that, not ours. If you want to remind a player, fine. If you don't though, it is never the official's fault if he/she has to call a violation.

But the calling official shall indicate the spot with a point & the administering official shall designate the spot with a point, correct?

bob jenkins Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 725756)

I wouldn't make any assumption about whether they know it. But, I dont' tell them anything on this type of throw in.

JugglingReferee Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 725732)

"Spot throw-in" is what I say when I decide to say anything, which is usually after a TO or other prolonged delay, and only on A's BC endline.

Maineac Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 725755)

I'm one of them too, it's the way I was taught.