The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What do you say? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61679-what-do-you-say.html)

BLydic Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 725762)
Me neither, but it's the coach's responsibility to teach their players that, not ours. If you want to remind a player, fine. If you don't though, it is never the official's fault if he/she has to call a violation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 725778)
I wouldn't make any assumption about whether they know it. But, I dont' tell them anything on this type of throw in.

Got it.

PG_Ref Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 725777)
But the calling official shall indicate the spot with a point & the administering official shall designate the spot with a point, correct?

Correct ...

Seems like, from the small sampling, it's another case of follow the Romans.

Thanks

jTheUmp Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:26pm

New(ish), guy here, but I don't ever say "spot" or anything like that. I will, however, explicitly tell a thrower "you can run the endline if you want to" when applicable.

Thing is, at least around here, it seems like kids have an almost pathalogical aversion to running the endline, even when allowed to do so. So, in practice, it seems to not really matter.

stiffler3492 Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:30pm

I say hold your spot when the thrower arrives.

I think just saying spot isn't as clear as we think it is. I could see a player interpreting "spot" as the spot where s/he should grab the ball from the official.

stiffler3492 Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 725798)
New(ish), guy here, but I don't ever say "spot" or anything like that. I will, however, explicitly tell a thrower "you can run the endline if you want to" when applicable.

Thing is, at least around here, it seems like kids have an almost pathalogical aversion to running the endline, even when allowed to do so. So, in practice, it seems to not really matter.

I've noticed that too...Even when they ask if they can, they still don't.

Eastshire Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:33pm

"This spot only" or "You have the whole end line" as appropriate. I only say this when administering a BC throw-in. I always point to the spot.

RobbyinTN Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:36pm

I did a middle school game a couple of weeks ago and everytime the visiting team got the ball for in bounds they asked if they could run the baseline :rolleyes: I got very tired of answering them

stiffler3492 Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 725805)
I did a middle school game a couple of weeks ago and everytime the visiting team got the ball for in bounds they asked if they could run the baseline :rolleyes: I got very tired of answering them

Hahaha. Good coaching, IMO. They'll eventually learn the rule.

SE Minnestoa Re Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:49pm

I tell them to stay on their spot as I point to a spot on the floor. And I do it every time we are on the baseline going long.

fullor30 Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 725732)
When you have a designated spot throw-in, what do you say to verbally communicate it? ... "spot", "throw-in", "spot throw-in". Or do you verbally communicate it at all. Just curious what the consensus might be.

What need is there to tell them anything? "You can't run the sideline".

stiffler3492 Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 725812)
What need is there to tell them anything? "You can't run the sideline".

So they can't tell their coach, "Well the ref didn't tell me I couldn't move!"

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 725813)
So they can't tell their coach, "Well the ref didn't tell me I couldn't move!"

Who cares if a player tells their coach that? It ain't our job to teach rules like this, just call 'em. We don't like coaches trying to do our jobs for us; it works both ways.

tref Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:07pm

He's baaaaack!

stiffler3492 Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 725762)
Me neither, but it's the coach's responsibility to teach their players that, not ours. If you want to remind a player, fine. If you don't though, it is never the official's fault if he/she has to call a violation.

Didn't you say earlier that it's fine if we want to remind players? I agree that it's not our fault if they violate, but it gives us an out if a player did tell his coach that we didn't tell them they couldn't move.

"Well, coach, I certainly did tell your player that he couldn't run the endline". End of conversation, leave it between player and coach now.

I've certainly gotten myself into the habit of saying "Hold your spot" when applicable. It takes not even a second, and may be unnecessary, but I personally think it's a good idea.

Eastshire Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 725826)
Didn't you say earlier that it's fine if we want to remind players? I agree that it's not our fault if they violate, but it gives us an out if a player did tell his coach that we didn't tell them they couldn't move.

"Well, coach, I certainly did tell your player that he couldn't run the endline". End of conversation, leave it between player and coach now.

I've certainly gotten myself into the habit of saying "Hold your spot" when applicable. It takes not even a second, and may be unnecessary, but I personally think it's a good idea.

We don't need an out.

I say it because it's good preventative officiating. I also announce the number of free throws to be attempted. It's not a secret and telling a player it's a spot throw-in doesn't coach him. If he's coached he knows what it means, if not, he doesn't. That's where the coaching is.