The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What do you say? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61679-what-do-you-say.html)

PG_Ref Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:50pm

What do you say?

When you have a designated spot throw-in, what do you say to verbally communicate it? ... "spot", "throw-in", "spot throw-in". Or do you verbally communicate it at all. Just curious what the consensus might be.

GoodwillRef Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 725732)
When you have a designated spot throw-in, what do you say to verbally communicate it? ... "spot", "throw-in", "spot throw-in". Or do you verbally communicate it at all. Just curious what the consensus might be.

Well, you would only have this issue in the backcourt going long. I think you can say spot or spot throw-in.

APG Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:54pm

"Spot"

I tell the thrower each and every time. Gets me in the habit of doing so, so I don't forget to tell the thrower "he can run" when he's allowed to.

RobbyinTN Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:55pm

I assume you mean to the thrower? If so, 99% of the time I point and say "right here". A few times I just point.

jeschmit Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 725738)
"Spot"

I tell the thrower each and every time. Gets me in the habit of doing so, so I don't forget to tell the thrower "he can run" when he's allowed to.

That's what I do too. Also, if we're coming out of a timeout I wait until the second horn, and I visibly point to the floor in front them while saying "spot". This helps you if someone watches the tape, I've been told.

It's almost like we were taught the same way APG... ;)

tref Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 725737)
Well, you would only have this issue in the backcourt going long. I think you can say spot or spot throw-in.

Hmmm I thought every sideline throw-in was designated as well as any f/c throw-in.

I say spot as I point to it.

bainsey Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:07pm

A number of people around here say "designated," even on sideline throw-ins. I never saw the point of saying it on sidelines, must be force of habit.

BLydic Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 725737)

I wouldn't assume the player knows he/she can't run the endline on a frontcourt throw-in.

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 725756)
I wouldn't assume the player knows he/she can't run the endline on a frontcourt throw-in.

Me neither, but it's the coach's responsibility to teach their players that, not ours. If you want to remind a player, fine. If you don't though, it is never the official's fault if he/she has to call a violation.

Mark Padgett Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:19pm

Last night, 7th grade boys game. Coming out of a timeout, A1 has a spot throw-in on B's endline. Before I can say anything, he asks if he can "run". I tell him sure, but it would be a violation, but if he really wants to, go ahead.

He gets that deer in headlights look, then smiles and says, "Oh, I get it."

He didn't violate.

wfd21 Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 725755)
A number of people around here say "designated," even on sideline throw-ins. I never saw the point of saying it on sidelines, must be force of habit.

I'm one of those people:cool:

tref Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 725762)
Me neither, but it's the coach's responsibility to teach their players that, not ours. If you want to remind a player, fine. If you don't though, it is never the official's fault if he/she has to call a violation.

But the calling official shall indicate the spot with a point & the administering official shall designate the spot with a point, correct?

bob jenkins Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 725756)

I wouldn't make any assumption about whether they know it. But, I dont' tell them anything on this type of throw in.

JugglingReferee Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:36pm

Quote:

"Spot throw-in" is what I say when I decide to say anything, which is usually after a TO or other prolonged delay, and only on A's BC endline.

Maineac Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:49pm

Quote:

I'm one of them too, it's the way I was taught.

BLydic Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:52pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 725778)
I wouldn't make any assumption about whether they know it. But, I dont' tell them anything on this type of throw in.

Got it.

PG_Ref Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 725777)
But the calling official shall indicate the spot with a point & the administering official shall designate the spot with a point, correct?

Correct ...

Seems like, from the small sampling, it's another case of follow the Romans.

Thanks

jTheUmp Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:26pm

New(ish), guy here, but I don't ever say "spot" or anything like that. I will, however, explicitly tell a thrower "you can run the endline if you want to" when applicable.

Thing is, at least around here, it seems like kids have an almost pathalogical aversion to running the endline, even when allowed to do so. So, in practice, it seems to not really matter.

stiffler3492 Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:30pm

I say hold your spot when the thrower arrives.

I think just saying spot isn't as clear as we think it is. I could see a player interpreting "spot" as the spot where s/he should grab the ball from the official.

stiffler3492 Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 725798)
New(ish), guy here, but I don't ever say "spot" or anything like that. I will, however, explicitly tell a thrower "you can run the endline if you want to" when applicable.

Thing is, at least around here, it seems like kids have an almost pathalogical aversion to running the endline, even when allowed to do so. So, in practice, it seems to not really matter.

I've noticed that too...Even when they ask if they can, they still don't.

Eastshire Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:33pm

"This spot only" or "You have the whole end line" as appropriate. I only say this when administering a BC throw-in. I always point to the spot.

RobbyinTN Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:36pm

I did a middle school game a couple of weeks ago and everytime the visiting team got the ball for in bounds they asked if they could run the baseline :rolleyes: I got very tired of answering them

stiffler3492 Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 725805)
I did a middle school game a couple of weeks ago and everytime the visiting team got the ball for in bounds they asked if they could run the baseline :rolleyes: I got very tired of answering them

Hahaha. Good coaching, IMO. They'll eventually learn the rule.

SE Minnestoa Re Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:49pm

I tell them to stay on their spot as I point to a spot on the floor. And I do it every time we are on the baseline going long.

fullor30 Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:52pm

Quote:

What need is there to tell them anything? "You can't run the sideline".

stiffler3492 Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 725812)
What need is there to tell them anything? "You can't run the sideline".

So they can't tell their coach, "Well the ref didn't tell me I couldn't move!"

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 725813)
So they can't tell their coach, "Well the ref didn't tell me I couldn't move!"

Who cares if a player tells their coach that? It ain't our job to teach rules like this, just call 'em. We don't like coaches trying to do our jobs for us; it works both ways.

tref Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:07pm

He's baaaaack!

stiffler3492 Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:28pm

Quote:

Didn't you say earlier that it's fine if we want to remind players? I agree that it's not our fault if they violate, but it gives us an out if a player did tell his coach that we didn't tell them they couldn't move.

"Well, coach, I certainly did tell your player that he couldn't run the endline". End of conversation, leave it between player and coach now.

I've certainly gotten myself into the habit of saying "Hold your spot" when applicable. It takes not even a second, and may be unnecessary, but I personally think it's a good idea.

Eastshire Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 725826)
Didn't you say earlier that it's fine if we want to remind players? I agree that it's not our fault if they violate, but it gives us an out if a player did tell his coach that we didn't tell them they couldn't move.

"Well, coach, I certainly did tell your player that he couldn't run the endline". End of conversation, leave it between player and coach now.

I've certainly gotten myself into the habit of saying "Hold your spot" when applicable. It takes not even a second, and may be unnecessary, but I personally think it's a good idea.

We don't need an out.

I say it because it's good preventative officiating. I also announce the number of free throws to be attempted. It's not a secret and telling a player it's a spot throw-in doesn't coach him. If he's coached he knows what it means, if not, he doesn't. That's where the coaching is.

26 Year Gap Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:38pm

Quote:

Not the two-syllable color call!:eek::eek:

Adam Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:38pm

My understanding is that it's the proper mechanic to tell them, regardless of location.

26 Year Gap Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:43pm

Sounds similar to these:

"Okay, fellas, we have two shots, so just relax on the first one."
Rather than "Two".

"Okay, fellas, one shot. Wait till it hits the rim."

Instead of "One".

stiffler3492 Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 725832)
We don't need an out.

I say it because it's good preventative officiating. I also announce the number of free throws to be attempted. It's not a secret and telling a player it's a spot throw-in doesn't coach him. If he's coached he knows what it means, if not, he doesn't. That's where the coaching is.

You're better with words than I am, because that's pretty much what I was getting at.

RookieDude Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 725739)
I assume you mean to the thrower? If so, 99% of the time I point and say "right here". A few times I just point.

I was told not to say "right here" or "right there" by a camp clinician years ago. He said to say "spot" instead.

I still find myself occasionally saying "right there" for some reason...;)

RookieDude Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 725837)
Sounds similar to these:

"Okay, fellas, we have two shots, so just relax on the first one."
Rather than "Two".

"Okay, fellas, one shot. Wait till it hits the rim."

Instead of "One".

I never say "relax"...I just say "two"...

but, I do say "let it hit something" as I am backing out...after I say "one".

RobbyinTN Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 725842)
I was told not to say "right here" or "right there" by a camp clinician years ago. He said to say "spot" instead.

I still find myself occasionally saying "right there" for some reason...;)

No one has ever told me not to say it but that doesn't mean I shouldn't ;)

My theory is - say what best relays what you mean. "Spot" in a varsity game may be fine but a MS player may think you are calling your dog :D IMHO, what you say is not near as important as ensuring you put it in at the correct spot. I really have no problem with anything folks here say they use if they do the job.

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 03, 2011 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 725826)

If it works for you, hey, fine with me. I've already said that. But thinking that's it also an "out" is a non-starter imo. We don't need to have an out. Our "out" is that it's the coach's job to teach their player how to throw the ball in legally. It's not our job to coach players and it never has been. I don't have a problem with any official reminding players so they don't have to call a violation. But if we do have to call the violation without reminding the player, then there is nowayinhell any coach can blame us for his failure to properly coach his kids. Well, maybe he can try. :)

"Well, coach, it's your job to coach your players, not mine. I certainly don't want to interfere with your coaching." End of conversation, leave it between player and coach now.

That was my point.

Scrapper1 Thu Feb 03, 2011 04:19pm

I've gotten into the habit of saying "You can move back, but not side to side".

It's not quite 100% accurate, but it lets the kid know that he's not literally on one spot.

BillyMac Thu Feb 03, 2011 04:25pm

Do I Have The Line ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 725807)
Good coaching.

When I was on the dark side, coaching middle school kids, I would tell them ,"If you're not sure, ask."

Keep in mind that these were middle school games. On the road, we would often get rookie officials, so the question was as much for the officials, as it was for my players.

BillyMac Thu Feb 03, 2011 04:29pm

His Interpretation Seems Reasonable ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 725834)
My understanding is that it's the proper mechanic to tell them, regardless of location.

Correct. That was a change in the IAABO mechanics manual last year. I questioned it, and my interpreter told me that it was only for endline throwins in the backcourt. That was his interpretation, maybe not for the whole state, and certainly not by the IAABO manual.

BillyMac Thu Feb 03, 2011 04:32pm

Can Also Hit The Backboard ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 725837)
Wait till it hits the rim.

Whether you say it, or not, the statement is wrong. At the beginning of the season, with little Catholic school kids, I will say, "Let it hit".

RookieDude Thu Feb 03, 2011 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 725845)
It's not our job to coach players and it never has been.

Yep...

In fact some might say you are giving the other team an advantage in doing so. OK...maybe that is a stretch, but check out the following story I heard this week.

Tuesday night my buddy told me about an "incident" in a GV game right before his BV game.

Visiting team down by 2 with less than a minute to go in the game. If they win they get a spot in the district playoffs. If they lose...they are out.

Visiting Coach puts in a little used sub...and somehow this girl (V1) ends up with the ball and takes a 3 pt. shot with under a second to go in the game. V1 player MAKES THE SHOT and gets fouled with .3 seconds left!

Visiting Coach tells all of the players, except the shooter V1, to not even line up...and to go to the other end of the court. Game Over...right? WRONG!

V1 attempts her first FT...and misses. The ball hits the rim and on the rebound V1, somehow or for some reason decided to get her own rebound.

You guessed it...V1 stumbled or fell into the Home team girl (H1), on the rebound, and she FOULED HER right before the horn sounded. 0 seconds now on clock.

H1 gets a bonus FT...makes the first to tie the game...misses the second...they go to OT and the Home Team wins in OT. Visitors miss the playoffs.

But, wait! The Visiting Team Coach PROTESTS THE GAME! (not sure when he protested...after his teams' FT and foul or after the game)

He states that the officials do not know what they are doing...they should have chopped the clock when the BALL HIT THE RIM on the FT.:rolleyes:

Anyway...I guess if the official that was administering the first FT with .3 seconds left, had done the Coach's job and COACHED the girl to NOT MOVE on her attempt...maybe they would have made the playoffs.:rolleyes:

Feel bad for the girl...from Hero to Goat...in a matter of seconds.

If only the Coach WOULD HAVE COACHED her, maybe she would have actually listened...maybe.;)