The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

HS Coaches/Players fined for ejection

A few years ago our state HS assn implemented a personal fine for ejection from a HS game. $300 for first offense, $500 for second, if there's a third offense...don't come back. As stated, its a personal fine and cannot be paid by the school.

It has been VERY effective. Does your state have as strict a policy as this?
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Players are fined just like coaches?

Our state requires ejected coaches to take an online class that supposedly takes about an hour to complete. They have to pay for it as well, and I think it's $35.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

In Ohio: for coaches (not players), $100 fine plus taking the NFHS coaching behavioral retraining course (or whatever it's called).

I just learned last week that nearly twice as many girls varsity coaches than boys varsity coaches have been ejected this season.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

We have one school system that has a very SEVERE ejection policy for the coaches. You get ejected, you lose your job. Not just your coaching job but YOUR JOB!!!
I also think there is a State Policy as well but don't know it off the top of my head.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
We have one school system that has a very SEVERE ejection policy for the coaches. You get ejected, you lose your job. Not just your coaching job but YOUR JOB!!!
I also think there is a State Policy as well but don't know it off the top of my head.
Do people who officiate games in that school system feel a little less inclined to pull the trigger on a second T? I think that penalty is a bit over the top for one ejection, but I do bet coaches are on their best behavior after they're handed a T.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Do people who officiate games in that school system feel a little less inclined to pull the trigger on a second T? I think that penalty is a bit over the top for one ejection, but I do bet coaches are on their best behavior after they're handed a T.
Never been an issue really. The boys coach is super to work with. When he does get 'exercised' an explaination is all that it takes to settle him down. He may not like/agree with it but he moves on. On the girls side they have had a parade of coaches and they have all been fine. Word on the street was this was put more in place for baseball and football (although not sure how you can get ejected in a FB game. )
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow you as an official have the power to send a coach and his family into potential poverty.
Has anyone actually lost their job because of this?
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

In West Virginia if a coach is ejected, they lose 10% of their pay for the year for each ejection.

If you get paid $2,000 you lose $200. ( you also miss 2 games of coaching. )

11 years I have never ejected a coach, only had one come close.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Word on the street was this was put more in place for baseball and football (although not sure how you can get ejected in a FB game. )
Two USC flags or one flagrant USC flag = ejection

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 07:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
Wow you as an official have the power to send a coach and his family into potential poverty.
Has anyone actually lost their job because of this?
That's their rule. We're supposed to follow OUR rules. And while doing so, we're supposed to penalize unsporting conduct.

That policy should have absolutely NO affect on how a game is called by the officials.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
That's their rule. We're supposed to follow OUR rules. And while doing so, we're supposed to penalize unsporting conduct.

That policy should have absolutely NO affect on how a game is called by the officials.
I don't know, but I've been told....that a few years ago the HC and an official were having a difference of opinion and the coach got rung up. He must have been having a bad day b/c apparently the AC and AD were right there at the bench trying to calm him down (successfully) Apparently, it was ''touch and go" for a bit. I DO know that this official did NOT know about the ejection policy.
I have never had an issue in his games although I did have to hurdle him once as he was squatting in front of his bench and I was running up the sidelines (OOB)!! Maybe that put the fear of God in him!!
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know, but I've been told....that a few years ago the HC and an official were having a difference of opinion and the coach got rung up. He must have been having a bad day b/c apparently the AC and AD were right there at the bench trying to calm him down (successfully) Apparently, it was ''touch and go" for a bit. I DO know that this official did NOT know about the ejection policy.
I have never had an issue in his games although I did have to hurdle him once as he was squatting in front of his bench and I was running up the sidelines (OOB)!! Maybe that put the fear of God in him!!
Does the policy only include direct T's to the head coach and not indirect T's? What happens if the coach gets an unsporting T and later on, we have to charge another T to the coach for an illegal uniform? I don't think that's what the policy was intended for.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Does the policy only include direct T's to the head coach and not indirect T's? What happens if the coach gets an unsporting T and later on, we have to charge another T to the coach for an illegal uniform? I don't think that's what the policy was intended for.
I would imagine they have some type of appeal process but I don't know the ins and outs of that districts policies for appeal/arbitration. My first response would be Yes with the school citing the fact that had the coach not gotten the direct T then nothing else matters.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 08:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I could see how this could go bad without an appeals process of sorts.

Coach lists all his starters as required, but has to change due to an injury. Official mistakenly a) gives technical foul and b) charges it to the coach.

Later, at half-time, A1 is shooting layups when the official thinks he got to close and charges him a technical foul for dunking.

Midway through the third quarter, a technical foul is called on A1 (on the court) for dead ball contact. During the FTs, the assistant coach directs all the players to stand immediately behind the 3 pt line. The official charges the assistant coach with a T for directing the players to break a rule.

I know, it's far fetched....
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
. During the FTs, the assistant coach directs all the players to stand immediately behind the 3 pt line. The official charges the assistant coach with a T for directing the players to break a rule.

I know, it's far fetched....
Yeah, especially this part. Simply ludicrous. It would be MORE believeable if it was in the 4th quarter...but even THEN cant see an AC EVER doing something like this