The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach assessed technical during pre-game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6162-coach-assessed-technical-during-pre-game.html)

donj Sun Nov 03, 2002 05:11pm

During high school varsity pre-game warm-up, can coach A be assessed a technical for disputing calls which occurred in the previous JV game? And if assessed a technical foul, does this restrict Team A coaching staff to the bench for the varsity game? I say yes to both.

If referenced in rule/case book, please give rule/case #.

Thanks

BktBallRef Sun Nov 03, 2002 05:15pm

No matter what the coach is showing his a$$ about, he can most certainly be assessed a T prior to the opening jump ball. The officials assume jurisdiction when they take the floor, 15 minutes prior to the game. if the caoch gets a T during this period of time, yes, he loses use of the coaching box.

RookieDude Sun Nov 03, 2002 06:27pm

Loss of Coaching Box

BktBallRef is most certainly correct...is he ever wrong? :)

Check out Case Book 10.5 SITUATION J
Ruling:..."Whenever the coach has been charged (directly or indirectly) with a technical foul, he/she has lost the privilege of using the coaching box for the entire game. The rule is in effect any time the coach personally commits the infraction directly or when it is charged indirectly because of illegal acts or unsporting conduct by bench personnel."

Also check out Rule 10-5
Coaches'Rule, under PENALTY:..."When the coaching box is being utilized, then the first technical foul charged directly or indirectly to the head coach results in loss of the coaching-box privileges and the coach shall comply with the provisions of Articles 1 and 2" (...remain seated on the bench at all times...with exceptions) "for the remainder of the game."

RD

MOFFICIAL Sun Nov 03, 2002 08:36pm

Let me add a question to this post.
If the varsity coach receives a T during the JV game does it then seatbelt him for the varsity contest?

Follow-up:
If the varsity coach is ejected from the JV game can he coach the ensuing varsity game?

RookieDude Sun Nov 03, 2002 08:39pm

Coaches' Ejections

Quote:

Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
If the varsity coach receives a T during the JV game does it then seatbelt him for the varsity contest?

Follow-up:
If the varsity coach is ejected from the JV game can he coach the ensuing varsity game?

1. No

2. Yes

RD

BktBallRef Sun Nov 03, 2002 08:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by MOFFICIAL

No, it only applies in the game that the T occurred.

Quote:

Follow-up:

That depends. In NC, if a coach is ejected, he is suspended from being involved in any games until he has sat out two games at that level. So, a varsity coach ejected during a JV game would be forced to leave the building or at least the confines of the gym for the varsity game.

So while NFHS rules don't cover this, your state association may.

Alligator Bag Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:14pm

I believe the same goes in Illinois. An ejection is an automatic suspension of the next scheduled game for that level and cannot participate in any coaching capacity at any other level till that has been served.

Dan_ref Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by donj
During high school varsity pre-game warm-up, can coach A be assessed a technical for disputing calls which occurred in the previous JV game? And if assessed a technical foul, does this restrict Team A coaching staff to the bench for the varsity game? I say yes to both.

If referenced in rule/case book, please give rule/case #.

Thanks

If coach A is b1tching about the JV game slap his @ss with a
T. As has been said, any pregame T's earn the coaching
staff a seatbelt.

JRutledge Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:01pm

According to the IHSA

Quote:

Originally posted by Alligator Bag
I believe the same goes in Illinois. An ejection is an automatic suspension of the next scheduled game for that level and cannot participate in any coaching capacity at any other level till that has been served.
Or if 10 days have past. Which every comes first.

Peace

DanIvey Mon Nov 04, 2002 09:29am

Coach Ejected

We had a Varsity Coach ejected from a JV game last year. The JV officials reported the ejection to the oncoming Varsity officials.
It was decided that the Varsity coach could indeed participate in his "level" game because, as the rules state (WA), the coach must sit out two games at the level in which he was ejected.
Since the Varsity level is a different level than JV it was deemed the Coach could participate.
We discussed this at our association meeting and the assigning secretary said the correct procedure was followed.

However, a post stated on this forum has got me wondering if we applied the rules correctly.
One post suggested the Coach leave the building for the entire night, to include the Varsity contest.
One post suggested the Varsity Coach that was ejected must "serve" his two game suspension before he could coach a Varsity contest.
One post went on to say two game suspension served or 10 days, whichever comes first.
These are interesting applications or interpretations of the rules.
My questions:
What is the correct procedure for Washington State?
Can an association come up with its own interpretation of the ejection rule as we did? i.e. Allowed the ejected Coach to coach in his Varsity contest.

DI

Brian Watson Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:00am

Re: Coach Ejected

Quote:

Originally posted by DanIvey
We had a Varsity Coach ejected from a JV game last year. The JV officials reported the ejection to the oncoming Varsity officials.
It was decided that the Varsity coach could indeed participate in his "level" game because, as the rules state (WA), the coach must sit out two games at the level in which he was ejected.
Since the Varsity level is a different level than JV it was deemed the Coach could participate.
We discussed this at our association meeting and the assigning secretary said the correct procedure was followed.

However, a post stated on this forum has got me wondering if we applied the rules correctly.
One post suggested the Coach leave the building for the entire night, to include the Varsity contest.
One post suggested the Varsity Coach that was ejected must "serve" his two game suspension before he could coach a Varsity contest.
One post went on to say two game suspension served or 10 days, whichever comes first.
My questions:
Can an association come up with its own interpretation of the ejection rule as we did? i.e. Allowed the ejected Coach to coach in his Varsity contest.

DI

I don't think they are interesting applications or interps, just state by-laws.

Here in OH it is for the remainder of the day and 2 games <i> at that level </i>. So, he would be done for that game, and all games until 2 JV games pass. So, if this happens during a JV or Frosh game, and they do not have 2 games to play at that level for 2 weeks, then he is out for that length of time. He may miss 3 or 4 Varsity games, since that is a different level.

RookieDude Mon Nov 04, 2002 03:31pm

Re: Re: Coach Ejected

Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Watson
Quote:

My questions:

DI

I don't think they are interesting applications or interps, just state by-laws.

Here in OH it is for the remainder of the day and 2 games <i> at that level </i>. So, he would be done for that game, and all games until 2 JV games pass. So, if this happens during a JV or Frosh game, and they do not have 2 games to play at that level for 2 weeks, then he is out for that length of time. He may miss 3 or 4 Varsity games, since that is a different level.

Interesting....but I think you are wrong...unless you have some Washington State references to back up your apparent knowledge of this States "by-laws".

RD

Tim C Mon Nov 04, 2002 03:38pm

Hehehehe

Some of you guys make up some of the most interesting rulings.

And I thought baseball umpires were the worst.

rockyroad Mon Nov 04, 2002 04:13pm

Re: Coach Ejected

Quote:

[
My questions:

DI [/B]
Dan, the correct procedure for Washington is exactly what was done...according to the WIAA, the ejection punishment only applies to the "level" it happened at...in other words, the state looks at it this way - during the JV game, the Varsity coach is the Assisstant coach, and if ejected, will sit out the next JV game...he/she may still coach the Varsity game that night, the next night, etc...the same is true for the JV coach - if ejected from the JV game, he/she may still sit as the assisstant for the varsity game that SAME NIGHT!!

To answer your second question, no, an Assoc. can not make up it's own interpretations, and there are several around the state who - in the past - have lost State Tournament berths for trying to make up their own...it sounds like someone there at least had an idea of what the State policy was and handled the situation correctly...

DanIvey Mon Nov 04, 2002 04:59pm

Thanks

Thanks Rockyroad,
I appreciate your interpretation....whoops...knowledge of our WA state by-laws.;)
DI
Just up the river from you in the Tri-Cities...was over your way this summer when my boys raced MX at Washougal, WA.