The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 11:10am
TODO: creative title here

Coach has a "bad back"

Happened to me a few days ago:

9th grade boys game.

Home team coach is in "question every call" mode, and I eventually whacked him (maybe a bit prematurely, but I'm sure he would've gotten one eventually anyway).

My partner explains to him the seatbelt rule, and this coach then informs my partner that he can't sit down, because he has a bad back and sitting is difficult for him.

How would you handle this situation:
a) "Coach, the rules now require you to be seated, and they make no allowance for your back injury."
b) "Ok, coach, in that case you can remain standing, but you must stand at the end of your bench and not be walking back and forth in the coaching box"
c) " ". Move on with the game, whack him again, if/when he's up walking around.
d) "Coach, you should've considered that before you actions necessitated the techincal foul"

Ok, probably not D, except in my head.

A couple of additional pieces of information that you may wish to take into consideration:
1) This was in the first half of a 9A/9B doubleheader. This coach was the coach for both the 9A team and the 9B team.
2) There were no assistant coaches for this coach's team.
3) Home team was up by about 15 points when I whacked him, and they ended up winning by almost 40 points.

Last edited by jTheUmp; Mon Jan 31, 2011 at 11:15am.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

One Question:

You must be a TOP NOTCH official to have an assistant???

"My partner explains to him the seatbelt rule, and this coach then informs my assistant that he can't sit down, because he has a bad back and sitting is difficult for him."
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 11:15am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
You must be a TOP NOTCH official to have an assistant???

"My partner explains to him the seatbelt rule, and this coach then informs my assistant that he can't sit down, because he has a bad back and sitting is difficult for him."
D'OH. Correcting.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 11:17am
We don't rent pigs

I'd probably tell him ok, coach, in that case, remain standing, but the next time you say one word about any call, you will be standing outside somewhere.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
i'd probably tell him ok, coach, in that case, remain standing, but the next time you say one word about any call, you will be standing outside somewhere.
+1
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
i'd probably tell him ok, coach, in that case, remain standing, but the next time you say one word about any call, you will be standing outside somewhere.
+1 :d
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 11:37am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I had that line from an asst coach in AAU. I said nothing, but I let him follow my eyes over to his opponents' bench where the coach was confined to a wheelchair. He sat down.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Tough crap...maybe you shouldn't have gotten a technical foul...sit down!
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Tough crap...maybe you shouldn't have gotten a technical foul...sit down!
I'm thinking that, and saying: "Coach, the rule is that you cannot remain standing."

If he persists: "Coach, it's up to you where you go, but you cannot remain standing."
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:03pm
Lighten up, Francis.

"Do you have a note on file with the state association for a waiver due to your medical condition?"
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

If you get another game with this coach, tell him before the tip that you have "bad ears" and you can't listen to any complaints about calls.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
"Do you have a note on file with the state association for a waiver due to your medical condition?"
+1
I was going to suggest asking for a doctor's note. Also, ask him if he walked to the game. No noty no standy.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:36pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Happened to me a few days ago:

9th grade boys game.

Home team coach is in "question every call" mode, and I eventually whacked him (maybe a bit prematurely, but I'm sure he would've gotten one eventually anyway).

My partner explains to him the seatbelt rule, and this coach then informs my partner that he can't sit down, because he has a bad back and sitting is difficult for him.

How would you handle this situation:
a) "Coach, the rules now require you to be seated, and they make no allowance for your back injury."
b) "Ok, coach, in that case you can remain standing, but you must stand at the end of your bench and not be walking back and forth in the coaching box"
c) " ". Move on with the game, whack him again, if/when he's up walking around.
d) "Coach, you should've considered that before you actions necessitated the techincal foul"

Ok, probably not D, except in my head.

A couple of additional pieces of information that you may wish to take into consideration:
1) This was in the first half of a 9A/9B doubleheader. This coach was the coach for both the 9A team and the 9B team.
2) There were no assistant coaches for this coach's team.
3) Home team was up by about 15 points when I whacked him, and they ended up winning by almost 40 points.
My uncle was in a back cast for the better part of 2 years, and many times again throughout his life, so I am empathetic to back problems.

I would have asked what the issue is (so I could then report it to my LA), and permitted him to stand, but behind his chair, and reminded him that he doesn't have the coaching box to roam. I'd also remind him that a second technical foul results in an ejection.

I would then report the situation to my LA and hope that he's required to file a medical exemption.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Mon Jan 31, 2011 at 08:37pm.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I'm thinking that, and saying: "Coach, the rule is that you cannot remain standing."

If he persists: "Coach, it's up to you where you go, but you cannot remain standing."
You can lie on some chairs if that feels better!
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I would have probably had them remove the chair where he would have been sitting and told him to stand there and if he moves out of that spot he is gone