The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach has a "bad back" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61504-coach-has-bad-back.html)

jTheUmp Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:10am

Coach has a "bad back"

Happened to me a few days ago:

9th grade boys game.

Home team coach is in "question every call" mode, and I eventually whacked him (maybe a bit prematurely, but I'm sure he would've gotten one eventually anyway).

My partner explains to him the seatbelt rule, and this coach then informs my partner that he can't sit down, because he has a bad back and sitting is difficult for him.

How would you handle this situation:
a) "Coach, the rules now require you to be seated, and they make no allowance for your back injury."
b) "Ok, coach, in that case you can remain standing, but you must stand at the end of your bench and not be walking back and forth in the coaching box"
c) " ". Move on with the game, whack him again, if/when he's up walking around.
d) "Coach, you should've considered that before you actions necessitated the techincal foul"

Ok, probably not D, except in my head.

A couple of additional pieces of information that you may wish to take into consideration:
1) This was in the first half of a 9A/9B doubleheader. This coach was the coach for both the 9A team and the 9B team.
2) There were no assistant coaches for this coach's team.
3) Home team was up by about 15 points when I whacked him, and they ended up winning by almost 40 points.

Da Official Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:13am

One Question:

You must be a TOP NOTCH official to have an assistant???

"My partner explains to him the seatbelt rule, and this coach then informs my assistant that he can't sit down, because he has a bad back and sitting is difficult for him."

jTheUmp Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Official (Post 724153)
You must be a TOP NOTCH official to have an assistant???

"My partner explains to him the seatbelt rule, and this coach then informs my assistant that he can't sit down, because he has a bad back and sitting is difficult for him."

D'OH. Correcting.

just another ref Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:17am

I'd probably tell him ok, coach, in that case, remain standing, but the next time you say one word about any call, you will be standing outside somewhere.

Loudwhistle Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 724156)
i'd probably tell him ok, coach, in that case, remain standing, but the next time you say one word about any call, you will be standing outside somewhere.

+1

Da Official Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 724156)
i'd probably tell him ok, coach, in that case, remain standing, but the next time you say one word about any call, you will be standing outside somewhere.

+1 :d

26 Year Gap Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:37am

I had that line from an asst coach in AAU. I said nothing, but I let him follow my eyes over to his opponents' bench where the coach was confined to a wheelchair. He sat down.

GoodwillRef Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:43am

Tough crap...maybe you shouldn't have gotten a technical foul...sit down!

mbyron Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 724184)
Tough crap...maybe you shouldn't have gotten a technical foul...sit down!

I'm thinking that, and saying: "Coach, the rule is that you cannot remain standing."

If he persists: "Coach, it's up to you where you go, but you cannot remain standing."

Scrapper1 Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:03pm

"Do you have a note on file with the state association for a waiver due to your medical condition?"

chymechowder Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:13pm

If you get another game with this coach, tell him before the tip that you have "bad ears" and you can't listen to any complaints about calls. ;)

Adam Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 724191)
"Do you have a note on file with the state association for a waiver due to your medical condition?"

+1
I was going to suggest asking for a doctor's note. Also, ask him if he walked to the game. No noty no standy.

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 724152)
Happened to me a few days ago:

9th grade boys game.

Home team coach is in "question every call" mode, and I eventually whacked him (maybe a bit prematurely, but I'm sure he would've gotten one eventually anyway).

My partner explains to him the seatbelt rule, and this coach then informs my partner that he can't sit down, because he has a bad back and sitting is difficult for him.

How would you handle this situation:
a) "Coach, the rules now require you to be seated, and they make no allowance for your back injury."
b) "Ok, coach, in that case you can remain standing, but you must stand at the end of your bench and not be walking back and forth in the coaching box"
c) " ". Move on with the game, whack him again, if/when he's up walking around.
d) "Coach, you should've considered that before you actions necessitated the techincal foul"

Ok, probably not D, except in my head.

A couple of additional pieces of information that you may wish to take into consideration:
1) This was in the first half of a 9A/9B doubleheader. This coach was the coach for both the 9A team and the 9B team.
2) There were no assistant coaches for this coach's team.
3) Home team was up by about 15 points when I whacked him, and they ended up winning by almost 40 points.

My uncle was in a back cast for the better part of 2 years, and many times again throughout his life, so I am empathetic to back problems.

I would have asked what the issue is (so I could then report it to my LA), and permitted him to stand, but behind his chair, and reminded him that he doesn't have the coaching box to roam. I'd also remind him that a second technical foul results in an ejection.

I would then report the situation to my LA and hope that he's required to file a medical exemption.

GoodwillRef Mon Jan 31, 2011 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 724190)
I'm thinking that, and saying: "Coach, the rule is that you cannot remain standing."

If he persists: "Coach, it's up to you where you go, but you cannot remain standing."

You can lie on some chairs if that feels better! :)

RobbyinTN Mon Jan 31, 2011 01:20pm

I would have probably had them remove the chair where he would have been sitting and told him to stand there and if he moves out of that spot he is gone