The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Interesting, is the rule worded so that any attempt at the wrong basket is a violation; or only those where the player knows it's the wrong basket?
2 things:

I thought that Robinson's "shot" was a fraction of a second after the horn, which is why id didn't count. Maybe a violation was called, but I don't remember it.

I think the purpose of the violation is to prevent players from getting the phantom 10th rebound when nobody is around to complete their triple or double - double.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 12:00pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
2 things:

I thought that Robinson's "shot" was a fraction of a second after the horn, which is why id didn't count. Maybe a violation was called, but I don't remember it.

I think the purpose of the violation is to prevent players from getting the phantom 10th rebound when nobody is around to complete their triple or double - double.
But, if it isn't a try, then there cannot be a rebound.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 12:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
But, if it isn't a try, then there cannot be a rebound.
Right, the existing rules at the NCAA and NFHS level would prevent this, too. I believe Ricky Davis tried this a few years ago to no avail. A travel or illegal dribble call will quickly work on this.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Interesting, is the rule worded so that any attempt at the wrong basket is a violation; or only those where the player knows it's the wrong basket?
NBA
Rule 5, Section I

d. A field goal accidentally scored in an opponent’s basket shall be added to the opponent’s score, credited to the opposing player nearest the player whose actions caused the ball to enter the basket.

e. It is a violation for a player to attempt a field goal at an opponent’s basket. The opposing team will be awarded the ball at the free throw line extended.

sselter, you may be correct when you say the play was after the buzzer. But that play would of most definitely been waved off if there was more time on the clock.

26, you're right in that it wouldn't be counted as a rebound. There was a situation in the NBA, a few years back where Ricky Davis was attempting to get the last rebound for a triple double and tried tossing it off an opponent's basket thinking he'd get a rebound for it.

Interesting enough, this should of been a traveling violation since he picked up the pivot foot before he released the ball for a dribble. And sorry for the lame music in the video.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Sun Jan 30, 2011 at 01:52pm.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was looking up the NCAA rules, and they have some interesting language on this possibility, if they inadvertently go in the wrong direction. Apparently any scoring that happened in the wrong baskets count as if they had gone in the correct direction.

Quote:
Rule 5. Section 1. Art. 3. When the official(s) permits a team to go in the wrong direction, and when the error is discovered all activity and time consumed shall count as though each team had gone in the proper direction. Play shall be resumed with each team going in the proper direction.
Sounds somewhat like I heard the way baseball used to operate in its infancy, although the BB rule seems to state it would be inadvertent to allow players to "choose" the wrong direction. If the bases were empty a batter could optionally head for 1st base or 3rd base. Once the bases had players, they went in a defined direction until the bases were cleared.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 03:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Buy Me Some Peanuts And Cracker Jack ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclause View Post
If the bases were empty a batter could optionally head for 1st base or 3rd base.
Certainly takes one advantage of being a left handed hitter away.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 06:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclause View Post
I was looking up the NCAA rules, and they have some interesting language on this possibility, if they inadvertently go in the wrong direction. Apparently any scoring that happened in the wrong baskets count as if they had gone in the correct direction.
Yep, and the rule is the same in high school (NFHS).
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Called so it doesn't affect the betting line. (Team up by 20 points; line is 19; player shoots at wrong basket as time expires and team wins by 18 -- someone is mad).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Yes. Anytime a live ball enters the hoop, points are credited to the appropriate team.
Not true. a throw-in is a live ball, and no points are scored if the ball enters the basket.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 09:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just A Guess ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Called so it doesn't affect the betting line.
The Tim Donaghy Rule?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Yes. Anytime a live ball enters the hoop, points are credited to the appropriate team.
The inference on this statement is that anytime a live ball enters the basket that points are awarded. Surely that isn't what you meant?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakman2005000 View Post
The inference on this statement is that anytime a live ball enters the basket that points are awarded. Surely that isn't what you meant?
Err...you are correct. A live ball from inbounds is the correct.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The Tim Donaghy Rule?
This rule has been in the book before the Tim Donaghy situation.