The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:15am
Archaic Power Monger

Thumbs up A Good Evening

I had a couple of good games last night and just wanted to brag a little.

I worked a boys Freshman / JV doubleheader between two district rivals. Both games were pretty clean with little in the way of whining from neither the coaches nor the players. Good sportsmanship all around really.

Both games were not very close but the pace moved quickly and we were done with each game in under an hour. We had over a half our after our game before the varsity game started, so I took the time to grab a shower and chat with the varsity officials during their pre-game.

Not only did I have a partner show up (which is a treat in and of itself) but he was also pretty strong. We meshed well together and didn't step on each others toes too much. We both whistled a few things on the border between each other's primaries but they were things the others couldn't see.

A couple of highlights from the JV game:

* Both teams ran a fast paced offense and didn't slow down until the last few minutes of the game. Despite the frantic pace, the game stayed pretty clean.

* Called my first violation for a player leaving the floor. Visiting team had the ball in their front court near the sideline. The dribbler picks up his dribble and gets trapped. A teammate of his comes from behind him and steps out of bounds to try and clear a defender. I picked up on that right away.

* Had my first 20 second clock after a player DQ. My partner called the foul. After the table notified us it was 5 on that player, I move towards the table to facilitate the subsitution. Coach wants to argue about that foul call and I try to get him to move along and give me a sub. Still wants to argue, so I turn to the table and ask for a 20 second clock. Timer isn't quite sure how to handle this and is fumbling with the clock. Coach finally gives me a sub, so I tell the timer nevermind, we're good now.

* I picked up a team control foul on a pass-crash that got me some kudos from my partner for staying with the play. That felt pretty good.

* Home coach started in early in the 1st quarter about his perception of us missing some fouls. His first comment "I counted three fouls on that one play!" was ignored. His second statement of similar nature got addressed when I was in front of his bench. "Coach, we're on it. Don't worry, if we have a foul, we'll call it." Heard nothing else from him the rest of the night.

My partner that works this school district quite a bit told me at the half that the coach was being unusually quiet.

A couple of general observations:

* I've come to realize that I will officiate to the level of my partner. I tend to personally have better games with strong partners. This is probably not news but an interesting trend I've noticed.

* It is becoming easier to keep up with faster paced games.

* I think I missed a couple of travels after jump stops where the players would start pivoting. Need more work on this.

* My mileage fee for this game will be more than a game fee.

All in all, a good night.

Last edited by Welpe; Wed Jan 26, 2011 at 09:21am.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:18am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
...Not only did I have a partner shower up (which is a treat in and of itself) but he was also pretty strong. We meshed well together and didn't step on each others toes too much. We both grabbed a few things on the border between each other's primaries but they were things the others couldn't see....
Boy Welpe, I didn't know the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" was already the law of the land.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:18am
Archaic Power Monger

Oh Lordy! Fixed!!! I blame the newborn and lack of sleep!
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 10:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
* Had my first 20 second clock after a player DQ. My partner called the foul. After the table notified us it was 5 on that player, I move towards the table to facilitate the subsitution. Coach wants to argue about that foul call and I try to get him to move along and give me a sub. Still wants to argue, so I turn to the table and ask for a 20 second clock. Timer isn't quite sure how to handle this and is fumbling with the clock. Coach finally gives me a sub, so I tell the timer nevermind, we're good now.
The coach wants to argue, make him do it *immediately* on his clock. And then don't even be there.

"That's 5 on #30." Turn to timer, start the clock. If the player isn't there, go to notify the player. By the time you get back to the table, the 20 seconds will be exhausted and there'll be a sub. Bring the sub in. Put the ball in play or shoot free throws. Even if the player is in front of the bench, the coach will have about 10 seconds to try to argue. The only real response is, "I need a sub."

Whoops. No time for the coach to argue.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 01:39pm
Archaic Power Monger

Rich, so I understand, you start the 20 second clock as soon as you notify the coach?

We've been instructed to try and prevent a T here by asking the coach for a sub to get the game moving, and only to start a clock if he refuses.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 01:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Rich, so I understand, you start the 20 second clock as soon as you notify the coach?

We've been instructed to try and prevent a T here by asking the coach for a sub to get the game moving, and only to start a clock if he refuses.
Yes.

Regarding your local practice: In other words, give him 40 seconds instead of 20.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 01:59pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Yes.

Regarding your local practice: In other words, give him 40 seconds instead of 20.
Thanks...and pretty much. Coaches run the show out here, which is why football coaches get to pick who their crews are for their games.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
* I've come to realize that I will officiate to the level of my partner. I tend to personally have better games with strong partners. This is probably not news but an interesting trend I've noticed.
Congrats on having such a good night. Love those games where you come away feeling like you really "stuck the landing".

When I first started, I was better with a strong partner. Down the road a ways, when I was normally the stronger partner, I'd have a better game when I was with a weaker partner. It forced me to step up. Conversely I noticed I began to have worse games with a stronger partner. It was a combination of intimidation and a tendency to relax and not step up. For me, the hardest transformation, but the best, has been to being an "equal" partner, no matter who I'm with.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

We've got a guy in our association that we all chuckle at. After 99% of every game he does - he will go to officials room and within 30 seconds tell you: "well, I had a better game than you tonight". It doesn't matter who partners with him. At first we'd try and discuss in post game - but it doesn't matter. He will always see it his way. Some first timers with him will walk away mad - the rest of us who have worked with him a few years just chuckle. BTW - it's not that he calls a bad game - but we all have better nights and worse nights - all exept him.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Welpe,

Glad you had a good night!

Had a pretty good one myself last night, though it was a blow out (55-18). Girls JV - only 9 fouls total (both teams) for the game, none in the 3rd quarter. From tip off to the time we walked out the door was 59 minutes.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 04:19pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
We've got a guy in our association that we all chuckle at. After 99% of every game he does - he will go to officials room and within 30 seconds tell you: "well, I had a better game than you tonight". It doesn't matter who partners with him. At first we'd try and discuss in post game - but it doesn't matter. He will always see it his way. Some first timers with him will walk away mad - the rest of us who have worked with him a few years just chuckle. BTW - it's not that he calls a bad game - but we all have better nights and worse nights - all exept him.
Maybe he is going home to an unhappy household...or to an empty one. So, his game is always better because it is an escape.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 05:26pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
9 Fouls and 59 Minutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Welpe,

Glad you had a good night!

Had a pretty good one myself last night, though it was a blow out (55-18). Girls JV - only 9 fouls total (both teams) for the game, none in the 3rd quarter. From tip off to the time we walked out the door was 59 minutes.
Where do I sign up for that gig? Wow!