The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Up until last Saturday I would simply say "lane" but someone at a level I aspire to work told me "not to trouble trouble."

We were watching the womens game prior to our game from the top of the arena & you could hear the lead say "lane" way up there. Like clockwork, the fans then the coach start screaming for 3 seconds & a whistle as a shot goes up.

His thinking is, we have more than enough junk going on out there to be adding our own junk into the game.
If the ball is up high in the f/c & he's in the lane for a bit... SO WHAT!
Once the fans start screaming "3 seconds" that will be his encouragement to move.
Let the coach/fans get players out of the lane for you, was the mindset here.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I guess its all about where one lives, the levels one works & who one works for...

I've been taught "dont" & "get" suggests to one of the coaches that something illegal is happening & leads to "just call the foul/violation!!"

Speaking directly to the defense, "dont hold" is coaching the defense out of a foul in some peoples opinion. "Easy" or "straight" is less subjective. You could be talking to either or both players.

That being said, I'm all for preventitive officiating. I just do it in a different manner.
I'll say 'watch the lane' or 'watch the hands' in first few minutes of game at BOTH ends, after that, they're on their own.

addendum: to your comment, I'm certainly not yelling anything that can be heard outside of a small area such as the paint.

Last edited by fullor30; Thu Jan 27, 2011 at 10:57am.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I'll say 'watch the lane' or 'watch the hands' in first few minutes of game at BOTH ends, after that, they're on their own.
Right! You're L on As end & you say "watch the lane" so the player moves, no whistle. Your partner the T who doesnt use any verbal on the court (OOB just points no color, travel just a signal & point) becomes the new L on the next play & gives no warning, just hits em with a 3 seconds... how fair is that to Team B?
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Right! You're L on As end & you say "watch the lane" so the player moves, no whistle. Your partner the T who doesnt use any verbal on the court (OOB just points no color, travel just a signal & point) becomes the new L on the next play & gives no warning, just hits em with a 3 seconds... how fair is that to Team B?
Other than kids games, I don't work two man, so I may say it as a C also. Anybody can say watch the hands.

I'm not obligated to ensure both teams hear my watch the lane comment. They know the rules. I'm responsible for my area, and that's what I choose to do. By the way, sometimes I say nothing, depends if I'm in a philanthropic mood. Also if post player on defense hears first 'watch the lane' I'm assuming it registers with him when he's on offense.

Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Other than kids games, I don't work two man, so I may say it as a C also. Anybody can say watch the hands.

I'm not obligated to ensure both teams hear my watch the lane comment. They know the rules. I'm responsible for my area, and that's what I choose to do. By the way, sometimes I say nothing, depends if I'm in a philanthropic mood. Also if post player on defense hears first 'watch the lane' I'm assuming it registers with him when he's on offense.

Hey, I'm not arguing who/whats right. What you do works for you & Im trying something new.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Purely out of curiosity, how do you encourage players out of the paint?
A 3-second violation will get the point across, for certain.

I went 2 seasons without calling one. I've called 5 this year already.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

All I know is every time I'm drawn to a potential 3 second call, I miss something. Murphy's law.

Don't make it your favorite call, as the saying goes, is so true.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
No,
I'm pretty consistent at the beginning of all my games to say it on both ends. This sometimes sets the tone so rough play doesn't escalate. As time goes by, (the last 30 years) basketball is getting to be way more physical, unfortunately in my opinion, bball should not resemble football, I've always believed bball is more of a game of finesse. 30 years ago way less contact was allowed especially with screens and blocking out.
+1^9 (Wait that's still 1) Could not agree more.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:53am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Up until last Saturday I would simply say "lane" but someone at a level I aspire to work told me "not to trouble trouble."

We were watching the womens game prior to our game from the top of the arena & you could hear the lead say "lane" way up there. Like clockwork, the fans then the coach start screaming for 3 seconds & a whistle as a shot goes up.

His thinking is, we have more than enough junk going on out there to be adding our own junk into the game.
If the ball is up high in the f/c & he's in the lane for a bit... SO WHAT!
Once the fans start screaming "3 seconds" that will be his encouragement to move.
Let the coach/fans get players out of the lane for you, was the mindset here.
Interesting. That is different than what I've been told but I will keep this in mind.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, the source is a DI official who was slumming on a JUCO game with me... but he worked it like a Final Four game. I gotta listen & apply that advice!
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 02:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

They're no different than technical foul calls. If it's there, call it. And don't analyze it unless you're sure you can learn something from it. And don't make up excuses not to call it.

I've seen several 3-second calls in D1 games this year. Life as we know it went on.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 02:10pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
They're no different than technical foul calls. If it's there, call it. And don't analyze it unless you're sure you can learn something from it. And don't make up excuses not to call it.

I've seen several 3-second calls in D1 games this year. Life as we know it went on.
Hey if there are NBA officials calling it....
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

addendum: to your comment, I'm certainly not yelling anything that can be heard outside of a small area such as the paint.
Exactly my style!
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 03:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post

Exactly right. In the games I've worked players seem to know to get in and out of the lane. When they don't, I call the violation. I'm not much for talking players out, have to say, as I don't see a lot of problems with this in the first place.

I'm not looking to make it my best call, either. I had a coach tell me that a player's toe on the weak side was over the lane line for more than 3 seconds and I was left completely speechless.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 03:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

We're expected to talk them out of the lane here, but I'm not turning into Chatty Kathy to do it. I'll say "lane" once, but I have found a 3 second call is far more effective.