The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Assistant Coach in the stands

Last night we had an interesting situation. About a minute before the game starts an assistant coach walks around the floor and walks up to the top bleacher in the crowd. Then at halftime he comes down and gives information to the coaching staff. He then comes back and sits down on the bench in the second half. To my understanding he would be bench personnel and cannot leave the bench area for any unauthorized reason. So, do we assess an unsporting technical? What if the coach does not come down on the bench in the second half and stays in the stands?
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Wasn't this exact same question asked last season?
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:29am
I miss being on the floor

Maybe splitveer wasn't around here last season.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:40am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Was it judtech?
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Wasn't this exact same question asked last season?
Similar.

"AC" coaching from stand

The rule has changed or there has been a clarification since this conversation. But this was an issue in one part of my state.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:54am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Similar.

"AC" coaching from stand

The rule has changed or there has been a clarification since this conversation. But this was an issue in one part of my state.

Peace

Thanks Jeff. Guess my answer from last year would still stand for me. Of course that's assuming specific direction or clarification isn't in place.

Quote:
Personally I've got nothing. If he is not disrupting the game I probably wouldn't even notice his movements. If the other team complained then I would advise Game Admin that there is a person coming from the stands and joining the team huddle. I'm thinking that would probably force Coach A to make a decision as to where he wants his AC to spend the rest of the game.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Was it judtech?
Couldn't of been, he wasn't running his mouth!
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Was it judtech?
For JV games we sit at the end of the bench. I do however, try to get my Nachos prior to me taking a seat on the bench, but sometimes the cheese hasn't been warmed up yet and I wait for a quarter or half to end before leaving the bench for the concession stand!
LOUD - I tried the nachos for the varsity game but I kept spitting out chips when I called the plays!! I have eaten through a few towels in my time though!

Last edited by Judtech; Wed Jan 26, 2011 at 12:33pm.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

So what splitveer mentioned is legal? Just wanting some clarification to make sure I understand.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 03:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here is the problem. Unless we know the status of a coach with a team we have no idea what they are or what they are not. The only way most of us would know who an assistant coach was if at one time during the game they were sitting on or near the bench. So if that person leaves the bench then we would easily know they are associated with the team in some way. And this was a new rule/clarification that team members need to be near their bench area and cannot leave during the game. So in this situation it seems like there is a violation of the rule and can be penalized. (10-3-6l and 10-5-5)

Peace
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

In this particular situation, let's just say the officials had this team earlier in the season and remembered this coach. As they were observing before the game they noticed that this coach took a seat on the top row across from the bench area with binder in hand. As the half got over, they met the asst coach and head coach in the hallway on the way to the locker room talking. Now does it matter if (a) he sits on the bench for the 2nd half or (b) if he takes his seat back in the stands where he was for the first half?
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 03:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellmer View Post
In this particular situation, let's just say the officials had this team earlier in the season and remembered this coach. As they were observing before the game they noticed that this coach took a seat on the top row across from the bench area with binder in hand. As the half got over, they met the asst coach and head coach in the hallway on the way to the locker room talking. Now does it matter if (a) he sits on the bench for the 2nd half or (b) if he takes his seat back in the stands where he was for the first half?
Nope. If he starts on the bench, he needs to stay there. If he doesn't, I don't care. As long as he's not joining the huddle during timeouts, nothing prevents a coach from having an AC sit in the stands. He's not bench personnel.

And if he joins the bench during the 2nd half, no big deal. He stays there.

Frankly, I wouldn't even care if he spent the 1st half on the bench and decided to watch the 2nd half from the bleachers.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Also, what if he starts the game in the bleachers & cusses at the officials in route to the locker room at the half?

Is he bench personel or just a fan?
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 03:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Also, what if he starts the game in the bleachers & cusses at the officials in route to the locker room at the half?

Could be the coach's brother; could be a prominent donor; could be the father of three players; could be....

He's just a fan.

But if he then shows up on the bench in the 2nd half, he'll get the short leash.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post

If he wasn't on the bench, he's not bench personnel. That doesn't stop you from having game management eject him from the building though.