The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 10:08pm
I miss being on the floor

A Fun Test

Boy's JV tonight. I don't get many of these games, and I really like the challenge. In my area, the JV teams are usually made up of the kids who don't really get in the Varsity games. They play 8 minute quarters, and we only use two officials when a varsity game gets three.

Intentional Foul: Third quarter, I'm lead. As I'm shifting my vision back to the lane after the ball left my corner, I think I see B1 launch himself at a screener, shoulder first, football style. Wasn't sure, so I didn't call anything. Sure enough, he did it again. Easy intentional foul call, IMO. No argument from anyone on the court, on the bench, or in the stands.

Correctable Error: First time I've ever had one of these. Fourth quarter now, close game. During a time out I thought I had seen 6 fouls on the board for Team B. A couple minutes go by, and I call a foul on B. I peek at the board before I report, and it now says five. So my partner inbounds the ball, and sure enough, not five seconds later, the horn sounds and the scorekeeper says that's actually seven fouls. So we stop play, get the correct shooter and go on with it.

Violation: Fourth quarter again. I'm lead. A1 drives to the basket. He drives too far and has to try a circus shot. He thinks he got fouled, I have nothing. I didn't see this, but I guess the ball started to go up the cylinder, hit the bottom of the rim and came back down. Coach asked me if the ball had gone all the way up and came back down through, whether or not it was a basket. He looked confused when he found out it was a violation.

Overall, it was a fun game that came down to the last second. Great partner, and our assignor came out to watch us work. I was a bit nervous knowing that, but I thought I had a pretty good game.

Last edited by stiffler3492; Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 10:15pm. Reason: Clarifications.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Good for you! Sounds like you had a good game to work and that you enjoyed it. I hope we never stop enjoying this sport!
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 07:56am
I miss being on the floor

I definitely did enjoy it. The only thing I would question would be whether or not the intentional foul should have been flagrant. Probably a htbt situation, but I thought is throw it out there.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I definitely did enjoy it. The only thing I would question would be whether or not the intentional foul should have been flagrant. Probably a htbt situation, but I thought is throw it out there.
HTBT, but probably NOT flagrant. You have to read intent to injure into the play.

On the CE -- once you see 6 fouls on the board, take an extra second at the table to see if the next one is seven, even if the board now shows 5.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 08:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

My take, flagrants typically call themselves. If your immediate reactions didn't include the word "flagrant" in your mind, then intentional is likely the best call.