The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:20am
#thereferee99

Black Jerseys

Had a partner over the weekend for CYO 6th grade game. One team had black uniforms with red accents. This team had two black players and a black coach. He wanted to call them "Red" during the game. I told him to get real. Go with "Black shirts" if you have an issue.

I suppose this may be an issue for some people out in the world. Is there protocol in other parts of the officiating world? Non-white officials not wanting to call home team "White"?
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
Had a partner over the weekend for CYO 6th grade game. One team had black uniforms with red accents. This team had two black players and a black coach. He wanted to call them "Red" during the game. I told him to get real. Go with "Black shirts" if you have an issue.

I suppose this may be an issue for some people out in the world. Is there protocol in other parts of the officiating world? Non-white officials not wanting to call home team "White"?
First I have ever heard of something like that. I'm color-blind. I like when teams have black uni's. Teams with dark red or burgandy get called "black" by me.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like the coach has issues. I would have went with "black" was well. Fortunately I have never had this come up.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
Sounds like the coach has issues. I would have went with "black" was well. Fortunately I have never had this come up.
Not the coach; his partner.
Archaic Power Monger

You should have suggested using "achromatics" or "total absorption".
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
First I have ever heard of something like that. I'm color-blind. I like when teams have black uni's. Teams with dark red or burgandy get called "black" by me.
Makes me feel a little better for calling Maroon, Red.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

I've had games where the team with predominantly white players wore black jerseys, and the team with predominantly black players wore white jerseys.

Everyone (players, coaches, officials) smiled the first few times fouls / violations were called. Even a few fans chuckled. By the middle of the first quarter, it was a non-issue.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post

Silly. Just silly.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:55am
Do not give a damn!!

I guess I would have a problem every game as many that wear the white are white people. Or if I give a timeout and give it to the coach that is white there would always be a problem. Or the one time I call the coach that happens to be Black, and say "Timeout, white coach" the ceiling is going to fall. I guess some folks have to be upset about something.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 12:00pm
Go Blue

I still find it strange that when I do the tip, a black player wearing black and a white player wearing white, and I go black going this way and white going that way.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 12:03pm
We don't rent pigs

I played in an independent tourney many years ago. Both teams showed up in the same color gold jerseys. Our team was all white. Their team was all black.
Officials identified us as "black" and "white." Nobody seemed to have a problem with it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Not the coach; his partner.
you're right - I misread it
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 12:17pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I played in an independent tourney many years ago. Both teams showed up in the same color gold jerseys. Our team was all white. Their team was all black.
Officials identified us as "black" and "white." Nobody seemed to have a problem with it.
I love it.

Few things anger me as much as racism, but when we get excessively sensitive to it, it doesn't lend much to the end game of equality.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmsn View Post
silly. Just silly.
+1000
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 01:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Bein' Green" (Kermit the Frog) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I've had games where the team with predominantly white players wore black jerseys, and the team with predominantly black players wore white jerseys. Everyone (players, coaches, officials) smiled the first few times fouls / violations were called. Even a few fans chuckled. By the middle of the first quarter, it was a non-issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I played in an independent tourney many years ago. Both teams showed up in the same color gold jerseys. Our team was all white. Their team was all black. Officials identified us as "black" and "white." Nobody seemed to have a problem with it.
Just like God, Dr. Naismith, and the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. intended it to be. This would be a pretty boring planet if we were all the same color.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)