The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 27, 2002, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
A couple of days ago i was doing a game and my partner sent a girl off for having her shirt come un tucked. She reported to the table and I beckonded her onto the court. Her shirt was bloused, apparantly too lose for my partner and he blew his whistle forecfully and sent her off. I could not believe it. Why not just go over and politly ask her to tuck it in? What did this acomplish- nothing. all it did was piss off the coach.

how would you guys have handled this? I would have just went over and quietly asked her to tuck it in.

ALSO

My partner also in this same game yelled at both me, and the table crew for not blowing the horn when subs came to report.He yelled at me for beckoning them with out hearing the horn, and at the table for not blowing the horn even after i had brought the subs onto the court.

A lot of guys in our association have requested not to work with this grumpy old man but I don't want to be a pain to our asssignor so i suck it up.

How do you guys who are young(or younger I should say) deal with people who think they are gods gift to basketball?

Tyler
Old Sun Oct 27, 2002, 11:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question.

What level was this?

Peace
Old Sun Oct 27, 2002, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
High school girls junior varsity. This guy just started officating a couple years ago. I try to give him some pointers as I've done a higher level but he's not willing to listen to any pointers.

TR
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
A few stunts like this and he will never see a varsity game. In my area he would be on every blackball list from every coachs and most officials.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 07:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by moose69
High school girls junior varsity. This guy just started officating a couple years ago. I try to give him some pointers as I've done a higher level but he's not willing to listen to any pointers.

TR
Well Moose, I would not ever worry about it. If this guy is basically on the same level as you are in years of experience, you job is to just get through the game. Tell the assignor that you wish to not be scheduled with this person if you care to. But I do not even know if that is necessary. Guys like this do not stay around very long or you simply pass them up. Chalk it up as experience and move on.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 08:19am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
A couple of days ago i was doing a game and my partner sent a girl off for having her shirt come un tucked. She reported to the table and I beckonded her onto the court. Her shirt was bloused, apparantly too lose for my partner and he blew his whistle forecfully and sent her off. I could not believe it. Why not just go over and politly ask her to tuck it in? What did this acomplish- nothing. all it did was piss off the coach.

how would you guys have handled this? I would have just went over and quietly asked her to tuck it in.

ALSO

My partner also in this same game yelled at both me, and the table crew for not blowing the horn when subs came to report.He yelled at me for beckoning them with out hearing the horn, and at the table for not blowing the horn even after i had brought the subs onto the court.

A lot of guys in our association have requested not to work with this grumpy old man but I don't want to be a pain to our asssignor so i suck it up.

How do you guys who are young(or younger I should say) deal with people who think they are gods gift to basketball?

Tyler
Tyler,
RE: Shirts - I usually just say, "Tuck it in." I don't care how far it goes in or if it goes in all the way around.
As long as they go through the motions....

RE: Buzzer - I often call the subs before the buzzer.

mick
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

This is my biggest fear for the upcoming season. I am wrapping up my last full week of football the week of scrimmages, so I am going to get on scrimmage in before my first game. The last thing I need is to have to worry about my partner as well as the coaches, players and fans. I had to deal with this once this year during football and it made for a long couple of games.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper
This is my biggest fear for the upcoming season.
Everybody has to go through it once or twice. My first year, I got stuck with a partner who was very officious, loud and critical. Sounds about thte same as you are talking about, except this guy was young.. I wrote a note to the assignor saying I didn't want to work with him again, and why. The next year, he wasn't doing basketball. But he was doing volleyball for the first year. He only lasted a year, though.

There's another guy in our association who is the nicest old codger you could hope to meet, and not a bad ref. He as the same very unusual last name as this guy, but I've never had the nerve to ask if they're related. can't imagine, but then why make trouble?
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

All you can do with a partner like that is gut it out.

As for the shirts, I make sure they're in. If not, I'll ask quietly and politely but I won't start play until the shirt is in, all the way around. I'll hold subs at the table until they tuck their shirt in. Usually, if a player does not tuck it in, the coach will get mad at the player for holding up the game.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Tyler

Since Mick hasn't said it yet.....

Get in
Get done
Get out
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

It's unfortunate that this person (Mr. Crusty) is being assinged meaningful games in your area.

Having said that, remember that you can always learn something, even from Crusty. You've learned how not to handle partners; you've learned how not handle coaches and table personnel; and most importantly, you've learned about game management and professionalism.

The pain that you are enduring while having to work with Crusty will accrue benefits to you in your advocation.

Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Hopefully you also took the time to apologize to the scorer's table for your partner' s impertinence.

I also find the buzzer can be excessive and always try to wave players into the game before the buzzer sounds. The buzzer is to get my attention and if I have already waved players onto the court, you don't need my attention. Don't buzz. Suggest this same logic to your partner - perhaps he needs the buzzer attention-getter because he is not making eye contact with you during dead balls.

Perseverance my friend.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like there was one person on the floor conducting themselves in a professional manner...shame your partner didn't take that approach.

As for the shirt issue, our chapter instructor told us to send them back the first time, that usually forces the coach to handle the situation. I usually just tell them to tuck it in and hold things until they are ready.

As someone else has already pointed out, you learned something and are learning more on the issue by bringing it here, overall a positive experience

I've had a partner similar and pretty much handled it the way you did, and moved figuring you take the good with the bad. Grin and bear it...or as my wife would say; "Kill them with kindness".

Or read my signature line and resign yourself to the fact that your partner is on that list of people
Old Wed Oct 30, 2002, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Or read my signature line and resign yourself to the fact that your partner is on that list of people
That other signature line also applies: "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning!"

We here are all the good examples. These partners are...