The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 08:13am
In Memoriam

Post 5th Foul - Game management.

Last night, 2 mnutes, 4th quarter ( I observed, from behind the scorer's table), 6'1" V30 was called for her 5th, a shooting foul, by Umpire.
V30, visitors best scorer, walked toward the bench knowing it was her 5th.
(U did not notify C coach or V30.)

V coach told V30 to stay on the floor, so V30 stopped, turned around and watched the other players line up.
U and R have the players lined up and are prepared to accept the replacement, but nobody is moving at V's bench.

R, who was going to administer the free throws, then tossed the ball to U and walked to V bench.
He politely told V coach that V30 had just received her 5th. V coach quietly vented to R, R quietly listened, and V coach then asked for a time-out.

[Edited by mick on Oct 23rd, 2002 at 08:17 AM]
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

So, why didn't U inform coach and player of 5th? Was it too controversial to go near the coach?
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

It's pretty standard procedure around here to have a non-calling official report a player's fifth foul to the coach. Just another means to avoid a conflict that might lead to a technical foul. We don't line the rest of the players up, though, or make the disqualified player remain on the court; these would seem to draw more attention to the disqualification and increase the potential for conflict.

Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
What is the question

I am not sure what your is question, but I am guessing that you are wondering what the procedure is and in this case could this be unsportsmanlike.

officicals and their duties
RULE 2.8.4 - notify the coach and then notify the player on a disqualification.

The case book gives a little bit more information - It is recommended that the official who called the foul be responsible for notification. The scorer is to indicate to that official when a player(s) has committed his/her fifth foul (personal and technical) or second technical foul. The calling official will immediately notify the coach and then the player of the disqualification. The player is officially disqualified and becomes bench personnel when the coach is notified. The official then instructs the timer to begin the 30-second replacement period.

If the scorer never lets the officials know then IS it the responsiblity of the coach or player to let the official know that they have fouled out? NO, Even if they know that they have fouled out they don't have the responsibility to let the official know.

Until you let the coach and player know of the the disqualification the player is still a valid player and not bench personnel.

Hey if we as a team, (the scorer, timer, and officials) miss that a player has fouled out then I am going to eat it.
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 10:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks
So, why didn't U inform coach and player of 5th? Was it too controversial to go near the coach?
Neither official was informed while U was 10' in front of the table. He turned his back on the table went way over to the sideline opposite, saw the scorekeeper signal 5th foul, saw that the Coach and V30 knew it was the 5th and, I guess, decided that was enough information.
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 10:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks
Neither official was informed while U was 10' in front of the table. He turned his back on the table went way over to the sideline opposite, saw the scorekeeper signal 5th foul, saw that the Coach and V30 knew it was the 5th and, I guess, decided that was enough information.
The U shoulda followed the proper procedure re:notifications. The coach vented without putting on a show.Sounds like the R did a good job on this play getting everything back on track.
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 10:43am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
It's pretty standard procedure around here to have a non-calling official report a player's fifth foul to the coach. Just another means to avoid a conflict that might lead to a technical foul. We don't line the rest of the players up, though, or make the disqualified player remain on the court; these would seem to draw more attention to the disqualification and increase the potential for conflict.

I am a proponent of telling the coach myself. If I called it, I should be man enough to domy job. I will not get into a discussion about the call. I simply inform the coach and go to the table to stat the 30 sec clock. I think that sending your partner can be percieved as being afraid of the coach or as not liking your call. If I know a coach is ready to blow his stack at me I might have my partner do it, but 99% of the time I go.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 10:43am
In Memoriam

Re: What is the question

Quote:
Originally posted by Spaman_29
I am not sure what your is question, but I am guessing that you are wondering what the procedure is and in this case could this be unsportsmanlike.

officicals and their duties
RULE 2.8.4 - notify the coach and then notify the player on a disqualification.

Spaman,
Thanks. Good procedure quote.
My purpose was to offer a real game sitch with a quirk.
Forewarned....
mick
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 11:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Stripes

I completely agree. I think it is a cop out to always have the non-calling official tell the coach who fouled out. If you are man/women enough to call the foul, you can inform the coach who fouled out. It does not mean you go over had shake the hand of the coach, but you probably are the only person that knows who and what happened.

I know in NCAA Women's Basketball, we have to go table side after every call. The NBA does the same, so it can be done in my opinion.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

It's not a question of manliness or copping out; it's game management. If the foul call deserves an explanation to the coach, give it and get out. Why create or prolong a potential conflict?

Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 11:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Let us put it this way.

Quote:
It's not a question of manliness or copping out; it's game management. If the foul call deserves an explanation to the coach, give it and get out. Why create or prolong a potential conflict?

If you are always running away, call it whatever you want, you are not going to be able to manage much. I think it is a bigger problem to have a coach screeming across the floor at an official that made the call and having an official that knows nothing always explaining it.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 11:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:

Either way works just fine, stan.
With your presence, there ain't gonna be anyone to question you either way.

We don't have that local procedure U.P. here, but I remember it being discussed.... somewhere. Actually, I think it may be a three-man mechanic where the Center is gone and the Trail may let 'em know. Man it's been a long time since I worked three. Tomorrow night, ...finally!

I don't mind telling the coach, "That's Five, Coach." And I welcome the opportunity to offer an indirect "T".
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 11:44am
9 times

Quote:

If you called the foul, who knows what happened better than you? I agree that a quick explanation and get out is the right course of action. You may not feel like it is a manliness issue, but I have had several patners (who were the R) who said that they refused to go to the coach for the 5th if they called it. Sounds like they are afraid to me. This may not be the case across the board, but I think it accounts for a lot of it.

If you want me, as your partner, to take the 5th foul, I'll do it, but how will it reflect on you if I am the only official who reports the 5th foul to the coaches? If you think they won't notice that, you are mistaken. IMO, your credibility will be shot.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 11:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Experimental rule

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Either way works just fine, stan.
With your presence, there ain't gonna be anyone to question you either way.

We don't have that local procedure U.P. here, but I remember it being discussed.... somewhere. Actually, I think it may be a three-man mechanic where the Center is gone and the Trail may let 'em know. Man it's been a long time since I worked three. Tomorrow night, ...finally!

I don't mind telling the coach, "That's Five, Coach." And I welcome the opportunity to offer an indirect "T".
I also think that with the experimental rule that Illinois uses by having the coaches have to bring in the subs for a disqualified player "immediately." You do not have the 30 second "timeout" that a coach takes so everything moves faster. The most popular way that officials would handle that would be to tell the coach themselves who fouled out then go opposite the table. The official coming to fill in the space "speeds" up the process and we move on with the game. Worked well all season for me.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 12:44pm
Esteemed Participant

Hey Mick - did the R grant the time-out? Or did he make the coach bring a sub in before granting the time-out??