The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Partner makes a call and you know it wasn't correct

Let me start off by saying I know my eyes weren't were they were suppose to be.
I was working with a guy that it was only his 5th game ever officiated. So when there was nothing going on but stillness in my primary I would glance out and see how he was doing (positioning mechanics and so forth) again I know I shouldn't have been. But anyway I see him counting on a closely gaurded situation. A1 stops his dribble and picks up the ball on I'm assuming his 3 count. I see him not switch hands which led me to expect what was next... whistle blows "5". I didn't change the call or even question him until halftime in the officials room. Correct handling?
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's something I'd address at halftime.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
I was working with a guy that it was only his 5th game ever officiated. So when there was nothing going on but stillness in my primary I would glance out and see how he was doing (positioning mechanics and so forth) again I know I shouldn't have been. But anyway I see him counting on a closely gaurded situation. A1 stops his dribble and picks up the ball on I'm assuming his 3 count. I see him not switch hands which led me to expect what was next... whistle blows "5". I didn't change the call or even question him until halftime in the officials room. Correct handling?
I would have had a very private conversation with him at the next time out or dead ball. Politely tell him where he is going wrong being very careful not to use any hand or arm movements that may tip off coaches or fans what the conversation is about. I think its very important not to embarress him publicly (think how you would like to have a mistake pointed out, probably why you waited until halftime) What makes you think you can "change the call?" You can't.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
I would have had a very private conversation with him at the next time out or dead ball. Politely tell him where he is going wrong being very careful not to use any hand or arm movements that may tip off coaches or fans what the conversation is about. I think its very important not to embarress him publicly (think how you would like to have a mistake pointed out, probably why you waited until halftime) What makes you think you can "change the call?" You can't.
That is why I asked. I HAVE seen officials change officials calls but would NEVER want it done to me. I did my first three man game last week and quickly became very annoyed. My rules interpretor and assigner were on deck for the Varsity game. They were sitting front row in my ear most of the first half. Your the "C" close down a little, be patiant on transition. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the advise but my problem with that is that everyone in a 35 foot radius in the stands I'm sure was thinking I have no clue what I was doing!
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

They can't change your call without your acquiescence. The thing is, most newer officials don't even realize this and let themselves get bullied. Sometimes, it may lead to more correct calls during that game, but overall it leaves a bad taste.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is why I asked. I HAVE seen officials change officials calls but would NEVER want it done to me. I did my first three man game last week and quickly became very annoyed. My rules interpretor and assigner were on deck for the Varsity game. They were sitting front row in my ear most of the first half. Your the "C" close down a little, be patiant on transition. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the advise but my problem with that is that everyone in a 35 foot radius in the stands I'm sure was thinking I have no clue what I was doing!
Yes, I have seen calls changed too, but that doesn't mean its right. I think you did just fine with how you handled it, but it could be a long time until halftime if they keep calling it wrong. I totally disagree with how you were coached by the interpretor and assigner during the game. They should come in at half time with pointers. (of course you can't comment about this or you may not get many games) My assigner is very professional and he never says anything until we are in private. Keep reading this forum and watching senior officials and you'll advance quickly!! Glad you're having a good time!
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Yes, I have seen calls changed too, but that doesn't mean its right. I think you did just fine with how you handled it, but it could be a long time until halftime if they keep calling it wrong. I totally disagree with how you were coached by the interpretor and assigner during the game. They should come in at half time with pointers. (of course you can't comment about this or you may not get many games) My assigner is very professional and he never says anything until we are in private. Keep reading this forum and watching senior officials and you'll advance quickly!! Glad you're having a good time!
Thank you! I love being on here. I'm learning a lot. I try to read something everyday and study on it. But this forum brings things to my attention sort of like a study guide.

Some opinions are questionable but yes I really like many ppl's views on things. I don't know you or snagwell but I VERY much respect your opinions and advise!
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you! I love being on here. I'm learning a lot. I try to read something everyday and study on it. But this forum brings things to my attention sort of like a study guide.

Some opinions are questionable but yes I really like many ppl's views on things. I don't know you or snagwell but I VERY much respect your opinions and advise!
Well thank you, but I'm just a fledgling compared to Snaqwells and other regular posters.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

I have worked with some rookie officials over the years and try my best to NEVER embarrass them in front of anyone. Have I ever corrected one of their calls? Only if they were giving the wrong team the ball on an inbounds or has the wrong shooter at the free throw line. Any other item I simply talk to him at the next TO or half.

Robby
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just curious. What would you have done if the coach had said, "Johnson, he didn't start a new count when he picked up the dribble. You saw it. You gotta fix that!"?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 03:38am
Never Stop Learning

What would you do if your partner called a five second closely guarded call in the back court?
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 05:27am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
What would you do if your partner called a five second closely guarded call in the back court?
Nothing, provided it was a women's ncaa game
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Nothing, provided it was a women's ncaa game
For you, what if the player was dribbling the ball?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 07:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Inadvertent Whistle ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
Showed up early to observe a junior varsity game last night. One of the junior varsity officials didn't show, so I got changed and jumped into the game. I'm lead, hanging back to help with the press. A1 crosses division line and passes the ball into the backcourt to A2, but the pass is intercepted by B1. My inexperienced partner calls backcourt. Had a short conversation with him. He changed his call to inadvertent whistle, point of interruption, Team B ball.

Later, in my varsity game, my partner calls a ten second violation on a team in their frontcourt. Again, I have a short conversation with him. He changes his call to an inadvertent whistle, point of interruption. He's a good official, he just got turned around in a poorly played technical high school girls varsity game.

Nice check. $145.53.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 07:57am
Go Blue

What we do is if your partner sees something diffferent, he can consult with you, but it is up to the calling official to change the call if he wants to. We don't want another official to "over rule" another, we feel it is unprofessional and embarrassing to the calling official.