The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 24, 2002, 10:51am
9 times

I was so happy to hear about the new rule for fouls committed by the team in control. No more lost shooters as we transition to the other end of the court. IMO, this is one of the best rule changes in years. Now,if we can get the NF on board...

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Oct 24, 2002, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

I haven't seen this rule. Could you please provide the details?

Tx.
Old Thu Oct 24, 2002, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Bonus free throws will not be shot when any member of the
offense fouls during theam control or during a throw-in. These things are now called team control fouls.

I think it's OK, although I never really had a problem with
shooting 1+1 in these situations. New rule adds some
complexity when the foul occurs while a shot is in the air,
during rebounding action and when the ball is released on
the throw-in, but no big deal.
Old Thu Oct 24, 2002, 12:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I will get back to you on November 8.

When I do my first game, I will tell you what I think about this rule. Right now this is not the easiest thing to do with different signals added. And you still will have to make sure that you do not get confused Team Control Fouls and fouls that have no team control (Trys for example). You still will have to shoot some of those going to the other end on rebounds. So all is not good in my opinion. But I will keep my mind open and see after my first game. I have gone into the season thinking new rule changes were great and it was not that good or the other way around. There will still be some confusion for the first year. Let us wait and see.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 24, 2002, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
"Seen the light" about what, exactly? About this particular rule? Then yes. I think this particular rule is good for the game of basketball b/c it brings some consistency to how we treat offensive fouls. Last season I had a conversation with a coach who told me very bluntly what he thought of the difference between a PC and illegal screen. I think this change eliminates one inconsistency in the rules and so I think it's a good change.

If you think the NCAA has "seen the light" that shows the pro rules are generally better than the college rules, then I'll disagree. As I've said before, here and on OnHoops, I think the pro rules are great for pro games. Generally, I think the college rules need very few changes. I like shooting a T and then going to the POI, I like the new offensive foul rule, and I think that the 3-point shot has probably made the game better; and all of those came from the pro rules.

However, I don't think the shot clock has made the game better; I don't think widening the lane will make the game better; I don't think allowing dunking has made the game better. Stopping the clock after a basket in the last minute? I haven't really decided yet. I'm used to these things, and they may add some intrigue for the folks watching at home, but I don't think they've made the game itself any better or allowed the players to better show off their skills.

There are a few guys on this board who sometimes sound as if they'd be happy to see the NCAA just adopt the NBA rulebook. I'm not one of them. I'm not trying to lump you into that category, Stripes. I'm just rambling.

Just my opinion.

Chuck
Old Thu Oct 24, 2002, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I will get back to you on November 8.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
...Right now this is not the easiest thing to do with different signals added....
Peace
Not for mens
Old Thu Oct 24, 2002, 12:12pm
9 times

I don't know how the signal change affect the women's side, but on the men's all you do is report it to the table and use the PC signal. Quite easy. Also, I believe it will speed up the game some. I know that people have tried to sneek in shooters on me in the past (probably succeeded too ), but this shouldn't happen any more.

Knowing team control should be like second nature to you by the time you start calling college ball, so that shouldn't be a big deal either. My first game is 11/7. We'll see what happens, but I love the change.

Old Thu Oct 24, 2002, 12:15pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
"Seen the light" about what, exactly? About this particular rule? Then yes. I think this particular rule is good for the game of basketball b/c it brings some consistency to how we treat offensive fouls. Last season I had a conversation with a coach who told me very bluntly what he thought of the difference between a PC and illegal screen. I think this change eliminates one inconsistency in the rules and so I think it's a good change.

If you think the NCAA has "seen the light" that shows the pro rules are generally better than the college rules, then I'll disagree. As I've said before, here and on OnHoops, I think the pro rules are great for pro games. Generally, I think the college rules need very few changes. I like shooting a T and then going to the POI, I like the new offensive foul rule, and I think that the 3-point shot has probably made the game better; and all of those came from the pro rules.

However, I don't think the shot clock has made the game better; I don't think widening the lane will make the game better; I don't think allowing dunking has made the game better. Stopping the clock after a basket in the last minute? I haven't really decided yet. I'm used to these things, and they may add some intrigue for the folks watching at home, but I don't think they've made the game itself any better or allowed the players to better show off their skills.

There are a few guys on this board who sometimes sound as if they'd be happy to see the NCAA just adopt the NBA rulebook. I'm not one of them. I'm not trying to lump you into that category, Stripes. I'm just rambling.

Just my opinion.

Chuck
I'm not a pro-pro rule guy. (bad sentance) By "see the light", I meant that finally we have a rule change, that IMO, makes the game better. Doesn't seem to happen very much.

Old Thu Oct 24, 2002, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I don't think allowing dunking has made the game better.

Chuck
I don't know about that one. Occasionally there are dunks
that are so spectacular that you almost drop your whistle
when you see them. I don't mean the 360 deg all alone
hot dogging tongue hanging out of the mouth foolishness, I
mean the monster out of nowhere elevate from the middle of
the pack almost too fast to have seen it slam down.

That's what I'm talkin' about!!

Old Thu Oct 24, 2002, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
By "see the light", I meant that finally we have a rule change, that IMO, makes the game better. Doesn't seem to happen very much.
Then I agree whole-heartedly Thanks for taking my ramblings in the spirit in which they were intended. After re-reading it, I thought maybe it sounded like an attack on you personally. It was not intended that way at all.

Chuck
Old Thu Oct 24, 2002, 01:02pm
9 times

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
By "see the light", I meant that finally we have a rule change, that IMO, makes the game better. Doesn't seem to happen very much.
Then I agree whole-heartedly Thanks for taking my ramblings in the spirit in which they were intended. After re-reading it, I thought maybe it sounded like an attack on you personally. It was not intended that way at all.

Chuck
That never crossed my mind

You are, IMO, fair to everyone, even if they disagree with you.

[Edited by stripes on Oct 24th, 2002 at 01:04 PM]

Old Sat Oct 26, 2002, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I like this rule change. I do agree that it should be added to the NF rule book. I had a game a couple of years ago that I decided a game by calling the illegal screen call in the last few seconds of the game. The player went to the line and sunk at least one of her two free throws and that won the game. If we had this rule, it would have been a turnover and I don't think that team could have scored in the next five seconds. We would have had overtime under this rule. Come to think of it, I don't like this rule......:-)
Old Sat Oct 26, 2002, 02:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Not all is well.

All this new rule is basically going to eliminate is the amount of "illegal screens" that we will be shooting FTs on. We will still shoot rebounding fouls. We will still many loose ball situations. So we are sitll going to have to figure out who is shooting on the other end. It is not going to totally eliminate those situations. It seems like a good rule, but time will tell. I know it will cause some confusion for the first month or so. At least it will for me. I start the season with a few college games, then go back and forth with HS.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I like this new rule and its another example of adopting some of the good rules from from other venues ( FIBA/NBA). Now if they would only get rid of the cylinder above the rim as in FIBA and we would really see some interesting/exciting BB at the College and HS levels.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I think i understand the rule. Bonus both ways. Team A, Thrower-in, in possession of ball, foul by Team A player, ruling, no shots, give ball to team B. Thrower-in releases the ball for the throwin, before any players touch the ball, Team A player fouls, ruling, no shots, give the ball to Team B. Now, Thrower-in release the ball and the ball gets touched by either team player, but no possession yet, Team A player fouls, ruling, we shoot 1&1. Is this correct?