View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 24, 2002, 12:15pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
"Seen the light" about what, exactly? About this particular rule? Then yes. I think this particular rule is good for the game of basketball b/c it brings some consistency to how we treat offensive fouls. Last season I had a conversation with a coach who told me very bluntly what he thought of the difference between a PC and illegal screen. I think this change eliminates one inconsistency in the rules and so I think it's a good change.

If you think the NCAA has "seen the light" that shows the pro rules are generally better than the college rules, then I'll disagree. As I've said before, here and on OnHoops, I think the pro rules are great for pro games. Generally, I think the college rules need very few changes. I like shooting a T and then going to the POI, I like the new offensive foul rule, and I think that the 3-point shot has probably made the game better; and all of those came from the pro rules.

However, I don't think the shot clock has made the game better; I don't think widening the lane will make the game better; I don't think allowing dunking has made the game better. Stopping the clock after a basket in the last minute? I haven't really decided yet. I'm used to these things, and they may add some intrigue for the folks watching at home, but I don't think they've made the game itself any better or allowed the players to better show off their skills.

There are a few guys on this board who sometimes sound as if they'd be happy to see the NCAA just adopt the NBA rulebook. I'm not one of them. I'm not trying to lump you into that category, Stripes. I'm just rambling.

Just my opinion.

Chuck
I'm not a pro-pro rule guy. (bad sentance) By "see the light", I meant that finally we have a rule change, that IMO, makes the game better. Doesn't seem to happen very much.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019