The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Question What would you have done?

Had a play the other night that I can't find any rule reference for. Wondering if there is one. If not, wondering what you would do.....

Girls Varsity Game. Team B scores a basket. After the ball passes through the net, it bounces under the basket on the out-of-bounds side of the endline. Clearly, the ball is at the disposal of the thrower. Team A has some confusion about who will inbound the ball. I wait a solid two seconds after the ball is at the disposal for someone to come and be the thrower before I start my five second count. As I get near four in the count, a player from Team A finally picks up the ball, and then throws it toward me to "check" the ball (like you would after a violation or foul). I chose to step out of the way and allow the ball to bounce past me. I completed the five second count and called Team A for the violation. Team A coach clearly didn't like this. Later, when he mentioned it again and I had the opportunity to explain,
I told him that I was at four in my count and that I believe that she passed the ball to me to attempt to get me to restart my count. (You might suggest that I catch the ball and pass it back to her while continuing my count, but I didn't feel like I could catch the ball without stopping the visual arm count. I was concered that if I actually reached 5 without the visible count and then call five seconds, it would have given more reason for him to dislike the call.) He told me that she wasn't smart enough to toss the ball toward me with that intent.

What would you have done?
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 02:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzeroo2002 View Post
Had a play the other night that I can't find any rule reference for. Wondering if there is one. If not, wondering what you would do.....

Girls Varsity Game. Team B scores a basket. After the ball passes through the net, it bounces under the basket on the out-of-bounds side of the endline. Clearly, the ball is at the disposal of the thrower. Team A has some confusion about who will inbound the ball. I wait a solid two seconds after the ball is at the disposal for someone to come and be the thrower before I start my five second count. As I get near four in the count, a player from Team A finally picks up the ball, and then throws it toward me to "check" the ball (like you would after a violation or foul). I chose to step out of the way and allow the ball to bounce past me. I completed the five second count and called Team A for the violation. Team A coach clearly didn't like this. Later, when he mentioned it again and I had the opportunity to explain,
I told him that I was at four in my count and that I believe that she passed the ball to me to attempt to get me to restart my count. (You might suggest that I catch the ball and pass it back to her while continuing my count, but I didn't feel like I could catch the ball without stopping the visual arm count. I was concered that if I actually reached 5 without the visible count and then call five seconds, it would have given more reason for him to dislike the call.) He told me that she wasn't smart enough to toss the ball toward me with that intent.

What would you have done?
Regardless of intent, I'd have a violation there. I wouldn't even address intent with the coach.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

I probably would have attempted to knock the ball back toward her, but would have continued my count and had a violation like you did.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 02:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Options, in order of my personal preference.

1. Tap it back with non-counting arm and keep the visible count going.
2. Tap it back with the counting arm, and continue counting in your head. At most, you'll miss one arm swing. Easily explained if someone's reviewing the tape later.
3. Tap it back with the counting arm, suspending the count just long enough to tap the ball.
4. Let it hit you in the chest and drop to the floor as you back a step away. Keep counting.
5. Dodge it, keep counting.
6. Catch it, throw it back, and start the count over.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 02:26pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Options, in order of my personal preference.

6. Catch it, throw it back, and start the count over.
Really??

Why would you start the count over?

Why not catch it, toss it back, and then continue the count from where you were at?
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 02:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Really??

Why would you start the count over?

Why not catch it, toss it back, and then continue the count from where you were at?
That would fit between options 5 and 6, then, wouldn't it? It is the last of my preferences, and I didn't mean to suggest it was a good option.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 02:36pm
Archaic Power Monger

Hmmmm guess I'm a bit of a hard @$$ then because I probably would've stepped aside and let the ball keep going considering that a varsity player should know better. Guess I will adjust any future reactions accordingly.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 02:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Hmmmm guess I'm a bit of a hard @$$ then because I probably would've stepped aside and let the ball keep going considering that a varsity player should know better. Guess I will adjust any future reactions accordingly.
I've got no problem with that, but let me ask. If a player did that in the first quarter, before you started your 5 second count, what would you do?
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I certainly don't have any problem with this approach, it's just not the one I'd take. If a player ever tosses me the ball after a made basket I simply bat it back to them. If it happens several times I'll say something to them and/or the coach to get it to stop.

I don't care about looking like an a$$, but there's little reason to pile on myself.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 02:47pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
I've got no problem with that, but let me ask. If a player did that in the first quarter, before you started your 5 second count, what would you do?
Fair point, I would probably bat it back to them I suppose (irrespective of which quarter). I guess the difference in my mind is whether or not the count has started. As I said, I will adjust accordingly.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think there's a diffference between this happening before you start your count (toss / bat it back and then start the count) and after (step aside / bat it back and continue the count)
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 02:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Fair point, I would probably bat it back to them I suppose (irrespective of which quarter). I guess the difference in my mind is whether or not the count has started. As I said, I will adjust accordingly.
My first instinct is to dodge it, too. Then I thought about what I'd do if they threw it to me before I started my count, and figured I should stay consistent.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to catch the ball every time. If I have to miss a swing, I'm still going to blow the violation at five. Never had a coach try and give me any beef over it cause they know they had five seconds.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 05:45pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
That would fit between options 5 and 6, then, wouldn't it? It is the last of my preferences, and I didn't mean to suggest it was a good option.
Gotcha...seems like the easiest thing to do is to bat it back with the non-counting hand. Dodging it and letting it roll away just makes us look bad, imho.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 05:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Gotcha...seems like the easiest thing to do is to bat it back with the non-counting hand. Dodging it and letting it roll away just makes us look bad, imho.
I agree.