View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 03, 2000, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

quote:
Originally posted by David Clausi:
Coupla' things:

1) Yes, everyone should use the proper PC mechanics (signal foul with closed fist and then signal PC with hand to back of head). I find that this is a terrific method in terms of audience interest. The fans see the crash, then note that the referee has a call to make (signals a foul) and then (finally!) they get to see what the call is. I find that the delay is important (a) to pause for a double whistle, (b) for dramatic effect, and (c) to gives you a split second to make sure you have the right call.

2) Sometimes, you may see an official use FIBA mechanics for PC. ie. the official signals by indicating a foul, then punching the palm of their hand, and then signaling with a fist upcourt. It's a terrific signal for PC (very effective). It's too bad that NCAA does not the same mechanic. Punching the palm is far more interesting and better to sell than planting your hand on the back of your head.

Cheers,
David

I agree that you should look to sell the call, however, too much hesitation and "drama' makes the official appear as if he's not sure or a hotdog.

Getting the call right is done when you watch the play and have blown your whistle. I have found that going directly to the back of my head and giving the directional eliminates the majority of questions offered up at the scorer's table.

Of course you can never go wrong with the initial airborne fist, you don't want to hesitate too long in getting your hand behind your head and making oyur move to the table.
And if your calling in your primary, there should be no trouble with your partner and a double whistle.