The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Shooting FT When Player Fouled Out

B1 fouls for the 5th time. While my partner is telling the coach and dealing with him about the 5th foul A1 shoots two free throws and makes them both. After she makes them both my partner realizes the free throws were made. At this point coach B says the two free throws shouldn't count because he was still using his 20 seconds getting a sub. I do not see anyway he could be right, but am I missing something?

(Yes, I know my partner and myself put ourselves in a bad situation by not communicating in this situation.)
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 11:30pm
We don't rent pigs

As you seem to already know, the free throws should not have been shot until the sub was in, but since they were, they stand.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

FED: FTs stand.

NCAAW: FTs do NOT stand.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2011, 01:07am
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbrian View Post
B1 fouls for the 5th time. While my partner is telling the coach and dealing with him about the 5th foul A1 shoots two free throws and makes them both. After she makes them both my partner realizes the free throws were made. At this point coach B says the two free throws shouldn't count because he was still using his 20 seconds getting a sub. I do not see anyway he could be right, but am I missing something?

(Yes, I know my partner and myself put ourselves in a bad situation by not communicating in this situation.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
FED: FTs stand.

NCAAW: FTs do NOT stand.
I had this exact situation happen to me in a NCAAW game earlier this week. Partner called a foul, communicated poorly to myself and the official administering the free throws that it was in fact 5 fouls, so we thought that the coach was just giving him an earful so we started shooting the first free throw.

After the first one was completed (and made, mind you) the horn for the sub was sounded. The coach was giving my partner an earful during her 20 second substitution and we didn't know. So we had to take the point off the board and re-shoot the free throw. Looked awful on our part...
Old Sat Jan 08, 2011, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
I had this exact situation happen to me in a NCAAW game earlier this week. Partner called a foul, communicated poorly to myself and the official administering the free throws that it was in fact 5 fouls, so we thought that the coach was just giving him an earful so we started shooting the first free throw.

After the first one was completed (and made, mind you) the horn for the sub was sounded. The coach was giving my partner an earful during her 20 second substitution and we didn't know. So we had to take the point off the board and re-shoot the free throw. Looked awful on our part...
Yep. THat's one reason why all officials should pay attention to the table (while not neglecting the other duties) on a foul near the end of the game and why it can be helpful to know who has four fouls.

And, TAKE YOUR TIME.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2011, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

So I am guessing the warning horn at 5 seconds from the start of the replacement interval didnt get blown or your partner didnt hear it?

Another thing to go with what Bob said, always make eye contact with your partner(s) before putting the ball into play.